Thread: 86 glhs fuel pump issue

Mitsu booster

86 glhs fuel pump issue

Hi. New from Texas.

I've got an 86 GLHS that I'm having fuel pump trouble with. Can't get power to the fuel pump. I replaced the pump with a known good one, checked voltage at the connector, and even tried to jumper straight to the pump with no luck.

I had this problem once before, and the car mysteriously fixed itself, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a loose connector, ground, etc.

I keep hearing about an asd relay. Does this car have one? Where is it located? Any other ideas? I hear the connector at the fuel pump is problematic. Is that true? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and this one's got me pulling my hair out. Worked on it all day today to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your help.

turbo addict
    The asd relay on a glhs is in the power module on the drivers fender. It's built in so to replace it you would have to replace the power module. It could be a loose connector at the module. I think you can bypass the asd relay by connecting the positive post on the battery to the positive post on the coil with a piece of wire. Try that and you should hear the pump come on. With the key OFF. This is just a test and wouldn't recommend it for a fix. Btw Welcome to the forum.

Mitsu booster

Re: 86 glhs fuel pump issue

thanks for the help. I guess your talking about the plastic box inside the fender and behind the headlight? That thing is clicking when I turn the key on. I'll try the coil wire test tomorrow.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 46foxcoupe View Post
    thanks for the help. I guess your talking about the plastic box inside the fender and behind the headlight? That thing is clicking when I turn the key on. I'll try the coil wire test tomorrow.
    Correct. Also at that strut tower area, there a fusible links, give them a once over.

What he said, put power to the coil + terminal and the fuel pump should turn on, if not, trace the wiring, if that checks out, check powers and grounds and if they check out, replace the PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by 46foxcoupe View Post
    If it's continuous clicking it could be a bad connection at the fuel rail, perhaps the ground.

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    If it's continuous clicking it could be a bad connection at the fuel rail, perhaps the ground.
    This too. Had that happen.