Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L-body camber plate install

Hybrid booster

L-body camber plate install

Hey guys,
    I been working on this camber plate project for a little while, and finally got it finished up last night. I'm running Rich Bryant's camber plates, which are awesome, but we all know the stock L-body strut towers really provide us with some limitations. The large "lip" in the center really makes it tough to get in there adjust, and also limits the travel/adjustment of the plate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	34316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	34317

Here's the setup I'm going to be running, I think you guys will like it. I prototyped this all on a set of junkyard Omni strut towers, so I can practice the process on something else, before cutting a 5" hole in my car.

Step one. I made a "locating ring". This lays over the stock strut tower, and allows me to accurately mark the extra bolt hole locations, and also the center hole. The new center hole is 5". I can just bolt this in place, and scribe the center hole in the paint, so I know where that needs to be. This could be done without the ring, just by measuring, but I feel as though this is more accurate. It's tough to lay this all out of the strut tower with that big lip in the center.

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	476.9 KB 
ID:	34328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	34329

Step two. Cut out the center hole to 5". I did this by using a cut-off wheel to get most of it out of there, then used a die-grinder to finished it up. Once this is all opened up, the strut tower is now flat.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	478.7 KB 
ID:	34318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	34319

Step three. I know some may disagree, but in my opinion, if I'm going to remove some material from there(which may remove some structural rigity), something needs to go back in it's place. I made this part at work, we'll call it the "bottom ring". The bottom ring is 5" OD, 4.25" ID, and is .125" thick. This will sit right in the new 5" holt in the strut tower, and will be flush with the strut tower on the top and bottom. The strut tower is .125" thick, and is made up of two layers on steel.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	34320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	34321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	34322

Step four. Weld the bottom ring in. You can see I put a .080" chamfer(angle) on the top outside edge of the part. This allows for easy welding, as it gives the weld a place to go, and also allows better weld penetration down into both layers of strut tower steel. Once this is welded all the way around, grind the weld flush. (No pict).

Step five. Grab the ring that came with your camber plates from Rich. We'll call this the "top ring". You can now lay the top ring down, and it will lay flat on the strut tower. I'm going to weld this piece on also. Thats the strongest way of doing it, without a doubt. This will sandwhich everything together, provide the most strength, and give it a nice clean finished look. I will be welding this in around the inside and outside diameters. If you look, you'll see the bottom ring and top ring have the same ID, 4.25", so they're flush to each other. This makes it difficult to weld, so I opened up the ID on just the top ring by .25". This will create a .125" ledge or shoulder all the way around the ID, and give a nice easy spot to weld, without decreasing the ID of the 5" hole. These first two picts are before this mod, second two are after. In the second two picts, you can see with the "top ring" opened up from 4.25" to 4.5", it gives a nice little area to weld, all the way around, between the bottom ring and top ring.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	34323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	34325

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	34404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	34405

Step six(optional). Weld on strut tower bar tabs. If you're planning on running a strut tower bar, you might as well weld the tabs on now, seeing as you're going to have to repaint this area anyway. You could also run a bolt-on style bar(or no strut tower bar at all), so I would not say this step is necessary.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	34326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	34327

Step seven. Repaint the strut towers.

Finished. Here's a side by side with a stock one.

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	34324

UPDATE!!

Here's a pict of this setup installed on Mike Wah's '86 GLHS #168. Looks great Mike!!

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	35108
    Last edited by sy2206; 04-29-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Re: L-body camber plate install

looks good !
    I talked to Rich about the strut brace idea when we made the one batch
    great idea
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

boostaholic

I thought you bought a hole saw?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    Maybe it was a little too big? Either way, it looks great.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I thought you bought a hole saw?
    Yeah, my original plan was to cut the 5" hole with a carbide tipped holesaw, but that didn't work out so great. It chattered and broke off all the carbide in the first 20 seconds, lol. A high speed steel hole saw would have worked better then the carbide tipped one. Either way, even with the centering plate for the holesaw(to keep it located properly), it's too tough to keep it steady and make an accurate hole. In the fifth pict, the first one of step 2, you can see four small pieces of metal. Those are the bottom layer of the strut tower, and the big lip that gets cut out is the top layer. There really isn't a whole lot of material that needs to get removed. It took me a lot less time then I was expecting to just go in there with a diegrinder and clean the hole it up. So I'm pretty well convinced at this point it's faster to just clean it up with a nice sharp diegrinder bit then screw around with the hole saw. If there was an inch of material that had to get removed, that would be one thing, but seeing as there's not much there to remove, it's just quicker and easier to grind it out. You could do like I did on this test piece, and cut the majority of the material out with something else, then just go back in and clean it up with the diegrinder. You could probably take the majority out with a plasma cutter, cut-off wheel, or maybe something else.

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs
    Maybe it was a little too big? Either way, it looks great.
    No, I had a nice 5" Starrett holesaw. I thought it was a good idea, until I tried it. See above. ^ LOL.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

next time , drill thru a block of wood first (2x8") then bolt that down, using it as a guide
    works good for drilling holes without a pilot
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    next time , drill thru a block of wood first (2x8") then bolt that down, using it as a guide
    works good for drilling holes without a pilot
    I had a setup better then that. I had a steel plate with the same 4 hole bolt pattern in it, and a .250" hole in the center. I bolted that up from the bottom, and that gave me a centering or locating hole for the pilot drill of the hole saw. The problem is that the strut tower isn't 100% flat, so when you start to drill, the hole saw is only cutting on one side, not all the way around, and it kept wanting to walk all over the place and wobbling. When you're cutting a large diameter like that, with a hand held tool, it's tough to keep it very sturdy. With a high speed steel holesaw, you might be able to get away with that, but when it wobbled and walked around, it tore the carbide tips right off the holesaw, so it was all over for me.

I then took that plate, and milled the center hole from .250" to 5", and that is now my locating ring shown in my first post.

turbo addict

I hope to be the first to install this setup. You don't know how bad the stock camber plate install looks until you put your method side by side for a comparison. Nice work Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by sy2206 View Post
    Yeah, my original plan was to cut the 5" hole with a carbide tipped holesaw, but that didn't work out so great. It chattered and broke off all the carbide in the first 20 seconds, lol. A high speed steel hole saw would have worked better then the carbide tipped one. Either way, even with the centering plate for the holesaw(to keep it located properly), it's too tough to keep it steady and make an accurate hole. In the fifth pict, the first one of step 2, you can see four small pieces of metal. Those are the bottom layer of the strut tower, and the big lip that gets cut out is the top layer. There really isn't a whole lot of material that needs to get removed. It took me a lot less time then I was expecting to just go in there with a diegrinder and clean the hole it up. So I'm pretty well convinced at this point it's faster to just clean it up with a nice sharp diegrinder bit then screw around with the hole saw. If there was an inch of material that had to get removed, that would be one thing, but seeing as there's not much there to remove, it's just quicker and easier to grind it out. You could do like I did on this test piece, and cut the majority of the material out with something else, then just go back in and clean it up with the diegrinder. You could probably take the majority out with a plasma cutter, cut-off wheel, or maybe something else.

No, I had a nice 5" Starrett holesaw. I thought it was a good idea, until I tried it. See above. ^ LOL.
    Damn. I thought it would have done better. Either way, looks awesome. I started to cut mine then stopped. I want to get the plates trimmed to fit around the existing strut tower brackets in the car. plus, I didn't have gas for the welder when I was putting Rich's coilovers on earlier this year.
    Bryan

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Damn. I thought it would have done better. Either way, looks awesome. I started to cut mine then stopped. I want to get the plates trimmed to fit around the existing strut tower brackets in the car. Plus, I didn't have gas for the welder when I was putting Rich's coilovers on earlier this year.
    I was originally thinking the same thing for my dads car, which already has the strut tower bar tabs welded to the towers. Then I figured, why not just trim off the existing tabs. That way I can get all the camber plate stuff in without having to work around those stupids tabs. Once the plates and all the other stuff is welded in, then weld the tabs back on the top(like what is shown in my original post). I think it would be easier to remove the tabs, then put them back on, then try and work around them.

I'll bring all this stuff to the meeting on the 15th so you can check it out.

I see what you are saying. The main reason for doing it on mine is that they have a bottom plate that is welded to the tower. If it was just the two uprights, it would be easier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Bryan

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice work!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Well that is pretty impressive and nice engineering. I personally just adjust the lip with a dremel to remove an area where the top adjuster sits could be cambered in all the way and I can access all 4 bolts holding that in place. Nonetheless, that looks really good and would be something I would do to my other Charger when I start working on it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

Darn, when you showed me the saw, I thought I really want to see him chuck that in a hand drill and try to
    hold on to it.
    I should of told you to get me a vid.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sy2206 View Post
    I had a setup better then that. I had a steel plate with the same 4 hole bolt pattern in it, and a .250" hole in the center. I bolted that up from the bottom, and that gave me a centering or locating hole for the pilot drill of the hole saw. The problem is that the strut tower isn't 100% flat, so when you start to drill, the hole saw is only cutting on one side, not all the way around, and it kept wanting to walk all over the place and wobbling. When you're cutting a large diameter like that, with a hand held tool, it's tough to keep it very sturdy. With a high speed steel holesaw, you might be able to get away with that, but when it wobbled and walked around, it tore the carbide tips right off the holesaw, so it was all over for me.

I then took that plate, and milled the center hole from .250" to 5", and that is now my locating ring shown in my first post.
    Nice writeup.

I did mine with a 4.5" holesaw and just a 3 hole piece of 1/2"x.125" aluminum scrap. I started with two holes in the strip for the stock holes and then just found the center of that for the mandrel. I pre-drilled the mandrel hole and then used an extra long mandrel on the holesaw so that it was past the cutting part of the bit. That way it never enlarged the stock hole and all worked well with a simple hand drill.

I used a 4.5" hole saw from lowes on the body of the car so that the surface wasn't even with the 4.25" plate so there is a place to weld to. So my setup is similar except I didn't do as good of a job by welding in a new bottom ring. I also still need to weld the top rings to the body (along with welding the seams on bottom side of the tower tops).

BTW my newer design for the BC coilovers actually solves most of the adjustment problems by recessing the bolt holes below the plate top. The rings are still available for people that want them with the recessed bolt tops and they are still recommended for people that are pushing the cars hard.

IMO cutting the lip off from the towers makes the car both looks better and makes the car stronger once you weld in the rings. These cars weren't made for higher rate coilover type spring rates so the towers should be reinforced when using them just to be safe.

-Rich

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    looks good !
    I talked to Rich about the strut brace idea when we made the one batch
    great idea
    It is definitely a good addition.

For the strut tower bar to work best it should have a double bolt connection so that it can't flex.

The strut bar from a side view should be 00======00 with two bolts on each side. that way it can't "hinge." That means the tabs should also be doubled. The problem is that you can't use a simple thread in end on the bar and do that without something custom. But if people are making custom bars they should just bolt on to to the tops of the towers without the hinges.

It is kind of nit picky but it will make for a slightly better strut bar.

-Rich

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Has anyone tried removing the folded over lip of the shock tower top piece (Outside of the shock tower now) and put a weld bead on it? Seems like that would also help cleanup the look of the towers on an L body, but I haven't bit the bullet yet.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Nice... I'll have to re-read it when I have more time!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the comments guys. I added a couple picts to step five. These two new picts show the top ring opened up to 4.5" which provides a nice area to weld around between the two rings.

Hybrid booster

Updated. I added some strut tower bar picts/info to step 6, and added a "installed" pict from Mike Wah's car at the bottom of the post.

boostaholic

Where did you get the parts for the strut brace?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast