Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carburetors?

Hybrid booster

Re: Carburetors?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    How much did the adapter run you?
    I made it

I could get you some pictures...basically just get a solid chunk of aluminum and cut it/drill it out.

As long as my supercharger setup goes as planned, it may be up for sale. Trickiest part was setting up the linkage so full throttle travel was possible. But, I got it...lol

Here's the only picture I think I have of it...I made a bracket and mounted the stock throttle cable bracket to the valve cover bolt and put a spring on the opposite side off of another bracket on the other end of the valve cover...all were little brackets I had sitting around...lol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

That's pretty cool. I like the late model TBI VC on there too.

I'm running a holley 4412 and it works great. I gained 30hp over the weber 32/36. adapter plate was $30.

Hybrid booster

That's pretty cool. I like the late model TBI VC on there too.
    Thanks...It'll all be a lot prettier this time. I'm planning on sanding down the high spots to bare aluminum and polishing it, but, haven't gotten around to it yet :/

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    I'm running a holley 4412 and it works great. I gained 30hp over the weber 32/36. adapter plate was $30.
    Thats a 500cfm carb, right? On a built engine that'd be pretty good...or with a supercharger. I have one just decided to go with the 350. We'll see if my supercharger requires a little more air though

Oh...and my 350cfm is off of a boat...so, I can go over large bumps and such at full throttle and it won't cut out

EDIT: and with this setup, my plugs were the perfect color, so, it liked it.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I had an intake laying around that had the adapter plate on it to run the Holley 350 like strangmajik is running. I pitched it because I thought no one would ever want it

I don't think cordes you ever said what your intentions with this car were? Was it to just get it mobile? Or is it going to be a carb car long term?

If you are looking for a long term solution then the Weber 32/36 DFEV or something like strangmajik's Holley 350 set up to me is the way to go.

If you are looking just to get the car mobile for the short term (like Mike Marra was with his Rampage before he converts it to turbo) then a Holley 5220 from the junkyard would be worth the gamble.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I had an intake laying around that had the adapter plate on it to run the Holley 350 like strangmajik is running. I pitched it because I thought no one would ever want it

I don't think cordes you ever said what your intentions with this car were? Was it to just get it mobile? Or is it going to be a carb car long term?

If you are looking for a long term solution then the Weber 32/36 DFEV or something like strangmajik's Holley 350 set up to me is the way to go.

If you are looking just to get the car mobile for the short term (like Mike Marra was with his Rampage before he converts it to turbo) then a Holley 5220 from the junkyard would be worth the gamble.
    I really just want it on the road for some autocross next year. If I can live with the lack of power compared to my GLHT then I'll keep it carbed and try to restore it to pristine condition. It's a factory Santa Fe blue car that is rust free on the bottom.

Hybrid booster

I really just want it on the road for some autocross next year. If I can live with the lack of power compared to my GLHT then I'll keep it carbed and try to restore it to pristine condition. It's a factory Santa Fe blue car that is rust free on the bottom.
    Oh yea...thats the one thats my cars twin...lol

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    Oh yea...thats the one thats my cars twin...lol
    We'll have to get them together at an SDAC some day.

Hybrid booster

We'll have to get them together at an SDAC some day.
    Lol...hopefully it'll be reliable enough to make it. I'm doing something to it that shouldn't be done...so...we'll see.

But, hopefully some day.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    I made it

I could get you some pictures...basically just get a solid chunk of aluminum and cut it/drill it out.

As long as my supercharger setup goes as planned, it may be up for sale. Trickiest part was setting up the linkage so full throttle travel was possible. But, I got it...lol

Here's the only picture I think I have of it...I made a bracket and mounted the stock throttle cable bracket to the valve cover bolt and put a spring on the opposite side off of another bracket on the other end of the valve cover...all were little brackets I had sitting around...lol

I had old Four Play set up with a Holley 500 2 barell....we made an adapter plate from a chunk of wood! It got this car down to the high 13s back in 1983-84. The guy I sold it to chassied it out and put a near stock 440 truck motor in the BACK to make it run 12.0s, the bottom of the Pro bracket. He had zoomie headers extending out of where the rear whel/tires used to be and a square tube fram behind the car ending with 32 inch tires and a Ford 9" rear end...they'd drive it to the track with the back to near stock 2.2 , put the 4 speed fwd in neutral, bolt in a real short drive shaft to the rear and go racing!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4play2a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	34380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4play1a.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	34381
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    I had old Four Play set up with a Holley 500 2 barell....we made an adapter plate from a chunk of wood! It got this car down to the high 13s back in 1983-84. The guy I sold it to chassied it out and put a near stock 440 truck motor in the BACK to make it run 12.0s, the bottom of the Pro bracket. He had zoomie headers extending out of where the rear whel/tires used to be and a square tube fram behind the car ending with 32 inch tires and a Ford 9" rear end...they'd drive it to the track with the back to near stock 2.2 , put the 4 speed fwd in neutral, bolt in a real short drive shaft to the rear and go racing!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4play2a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	34380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4play1a.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	34381
    Not to threadjack, but, what all was done to it to make it run 13s???

I built a motor for circle track that dyno'd 325hp, one day decided to toss it in an omni. with 8" wide 13" diam stock car slick (goodyear), the car ran 11.80 - 118mph @ kaukauna, WI drag strip. a lot of people pooped themselves and the track banned me for not having a cage with that kind of speed.

While I still can't spell carburetor without looking it up, I've since obtained a Weber carb and I'm getting ready to install it.

I see that some of the webers come ready to take the stock air box. I would like to retain that if possible. Is there a place where I can buy the pieces to do so? It looks like three of the studs on top line up and one of them isn't necessary.

If I have to use the round adapter piece I have where do I get the proper air filter for it?

I just got a piece of threaded rod from Home Depot and put it in the carb in the two holes that line up with the air box cover. Once I got the right length I put loc tite red on them. I may have put nuts on the bottom IF there was room to do it, I seem to recall there was room only on one side. If you look at my 85 Turismo 2.2 High Output Project Log there may be more pics there on what I did.

I just got a piece of threaded rod from Home Depot and put it in the carb in the two holes that line up with the air box cover. Once I got the right length I put loc tite red on them. I may have put nuts on the bottom IF there was room to do it, I seem to recall there was room only on one side. If you look at my 85 Turismo 2.2 High Output Project Log there may be more pics there on what I did.
    Thanks for the info. I thought they made them specifically to bolt up or something.

I looked through your log but I may need someone to walk me though the linkage swap as I'm at a bit of a loss right now on that. Thanks again for all of your help through this process.

Just take the throttle arm off a holley. Use a small file and open it up a little in the middle oblong-ish hole, being careful not to file too much (test fit often) until it fits snugly on the Weber. Then just put the nut on and hook the cable up. It's that simple PM me if you have more questions as the auto-notify on here doesn't always work well for me.

Just take the throttle arm off a holley. Use a small file and open it up a little in the middle oblong-ish hole, being careful not to file too much (test fit often) until it fits snugly on the Weber. Then just put the nut on and hook the cable up. It's that simple PM me if you have more questions as the auto-notify on here doesn't always work well for me.
    Thanks. I'll give that a go and see how it ends up. This should be sweet with a properly running carb on there.

Make sure once you get the carb on there you take the time to set the:

a) base idle
    b) fast idle
    c) air fuel mixture
    d) choke

Make sure once you get the carb on there you take the time to set the:

a) base idle
    b) fast idle
    c) air fuel mixture
    d) choke
    Sure thing. The info for that was really easy to find fortunately.

Also, will you be attending SDAC?

I had to fool with the choke on mine to get the car to run correctly. And my Weber was brand new out of the box.

Unfortunately I won't be attending SDAC this year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast