Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carburetors?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Carburetors?

I had to spell check the darn thing to post up the title for pete's sake. Anyway, which Holly carb is the one to have, and what can I pull that off of? I hear something about the non-feedback ones being where it's at? Would those be on Rampages?

I'm trying to get my GLH ready to go for next year and I'll need a lot of help with these things.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Carburetors?

I know my Rampage came with a non-feedback carb. Probably most others did too. I ve also heard that early Minivans had non-feedback carbs as well.

The carb to have is a genuine Webber downdraft. Easier to tune and more performance oriented from what I understand. But I have never seen one of those for sale for less than $5, so that's probably out of the question for you.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Look for one without any electrical plugs going to it for a non feedback unit (no stepper motor). Webers are nice but thats like comparing monroe gas-matics to koni's in the price spectrum.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I know my Rampage came with a non-feedback carb. Probably most others did too. I ve also heard that early Minivans had non-feedback carbs as well.

The carb to have is a genuine Webber downdraft. Easier to tune and more performance oriented from what I understand. But I have never seen one of those for sale for less than $5, so that's probably out of the question for you.
    I'm pretty sure I know where a couple of free ones may be, but I want to keep the stock look to stay in my autocross class. The GLH looks to be VERY competitive vs. the other cars in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Look for one without any electrical plugs going to it for a non feedback unit (no stepper motor). Webers are nice but thats like comparing monroe gas-matics to koni's in the price spectrum.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that the next time I'm there.

The Webber looks almost identical to OE Holley/Webber. Just no emissions stuff and rebuild kits are simpler.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The Webber looks almost identical to OE Holley/Webber. Just no emissions stuff and rebuild kits are simpler.
    Interesting. I know the setup I saw was with the fancy intake, but I didn't look all that closely at the carb itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Interesting. I know the setup I saw was with the fancy intake, but I didn't look all that closely at the carb itself.
    Maybe you are thinking of sidedrafts?

Get in touch with Scott Drega. He has a good amount of experience with these on his Turismo. Just sold a Webber too.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Maybe you are thinking of sidedrafts?

Get in touch with Scott Drega. He has a good amount of experience with these on his Turismo. Just sold a Webber too.
    That could have been. After all I don't even know how to spell it.

I have PILES of carbs for these. I know I have a new one non-feedback I'd sell cheap.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

There are lots of benefits to the Weber 32/36 DFEV.

First of all, the secondary on the Holley is vacuum operated. On the Weber, it's a mechanical secondary.

The Weber bolts right on. All you have to do is take the throttle arm off the Holley and put in the Weber. There's some pics of how to do that in my Turismo project log.

Third, the Weber is now $199 through Weber Carbs Direct. I don't think that's bad at all. Time is money. Yeah, you can spend $50 on a used Holley non-feedback 5220 that you bolt on and fool with because it never runs right. Or you can get the Weber and bolt it on, adjust the base idle, fast idle, air/fuel, and choke (all of which takes about 15 minutes) and be done with it and be happy with the car.

I owned a 86 Turismo 2.2 with the Holley 6520 and it never ran consistently. Some days it ran well, some days it was grouchy. It was like that after putting a new 6520 on it!

The 85 Turismo 2.2 I just sold (sniff sniff, I wish Marra would've bought it, now it's all the way in Winnipeg, Canada!!!) had the Weber on it from the moment I put it on the road. I never had any driveability problems and it always ran consistently.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    I have PILES of carbs for these. I know I have a new one non-feedback I'd sell cheap.
    Shoot me a price via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    There are lots of benefits to the Weber 32/36 DFEV.

First of all, the secondary on the Holley is vacuum operated. On the Weber, it's a mechanical secondary.

The Weber bolts right on. All you have to do is take the throttle arm off the Holley and put in the Weber. There's some pics of how to do that in my Turismo project log.

Third, the Weber is now $199 through Weber Carbs Direct. I don't think that's bad at all. Time is money. Yeah, you can spend $50 on a used Holley non-feedback 5220 that you bolt on and fool with because it never runs right. Or you can get the Weber and bolt it on, adjust the base idle, fast idle, air/fuel, and choke (all of which takes about 15 minutes) and be done with it and be happy with the car.

I owned a 86 Turismo 2.2 with the Holley 6520 and it never ran consistently. Some days it ran well, some days it was grouchy. It was like that after putting a new 6520 on it!

The 85 Turismo 2.2 I just sold (sniff sniff, I wish Marra would've bought it, now it's all the way in Winnipeg, Canada!!!) had the Weber on it from the moment I put it on the road. I never had any driveability problems and it always ran consistently.
    Thanks for the info. I'll get one of these non-feedback ones for next to nothing. When I'm done fooling around with that I'll give a Weber a try. I'll need to figure these things out sometime anyway.

I'll get one of these non-feedback ones for next to nothing.
    How much is next to nothing?

Probably $5-10.

What about your time?

turbo addict

The last Holley I had on Matchbox was a non-feed back with MECHANICAL secondary...for an old Rampage or mini van. It was replaced early last year with the Weber 32/36 one. Check out what jets are in the Holley and if larger than the Weber swap them in there.

To run that Holey carb on a 87 2.5 tall block took a 417 jet (from the Mopar performance kit secondary jet!) and a 423 secondary one. Those are the same sizes that I used in the Weber.

The 94 2.5 common block motor in there now runs its best with a 404 on both sides of the carb!
    Last edited by ATaylorRacing; 06-18-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

What about your time?
    I'll be making a day of it. Since it will probably be on a "Wheelbarrow Wednesday" it may actually be a money maker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    The last Holley I had on Matchbox was a non-feed back with MECHANICAL secondary...for an old Rampage or mini van. It was replaced early last year with the Weber 32/36 one. Check out what jets are in the Holley and if larger than the Weber swap them in there.

To run that Holey carb on a 87 2.5 tall block took a 417 jet (from the Mopar performance kit secondary jet!) and a 423 secondary one. Those are the same sizes that I used in the Weber.

The 91 2.5 common block motor in there now runs its best with a 404 on both sides of the carb!
    Thanks for the info Angelo.

I'll be making a day of it. Since it will probably be on a "Wheelbarrow Wednesday" it may actually be a money maker for me.
    So you'll be going to the junkyard. So that $5-$10 needs to also include the gas you spend to go there and back. Plus the day you've wasted getting the 5220, if you find one.

If you're just plopping it on your car maybe you'll get lucky and it will work fine. I'm sure after sitting in the junkyard for who knows how long with fuel varnishing in it that it probably won't have any issues. But there is the off chance you could spend $5-10 and have it work.

But what if you put it on and it either doesn't run or runs like crap? Then all the time you've spent going to the junkyard and installing the Holley is wasted and it comes back off.

I suppose then if you still want a Holley carb on the car and to pinch pennies you can get a rebuild kit. I looked at Mike's Project Log Rampage thread and saw he found that BWD part number 10633B was the right kit to get. I couldn't find this on rockauto, I did find one on ebay for $50. Maybe you can find one cheaper but you'll be spending some $ on it when you include shipping costs. Oh and add more time rebuilding the carb, reinstalling it, and hoping you got the rebuild right.

Or you could order the new Weber, plop it on there, adjust the base idle, fast idle, and air fuel mix and be done. On mine I had to adjust the choke a little bit, so add another 15 minutes of time there.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I know the economy is tight and people don't have extra $ to spend, but in this case I feel strongly that cheaper is not better.
    Last edited by ScottD; 10-02-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Yeah I wasn't able to find that part number for that rebuild kit on Rock Auto either. I Google searched it and found it on Amazon.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

By the way... the kits aint cheap, and a regular kit for a Feedback type carb will not work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BWD-Automotive-10633B-Carburetor-Kit-/170621739671
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

The non-feedback carbs are mechanical secondary, but, I got one and rebuilt it, cleaned everything, set it as per the directions...car would idle and run at full throttle...nothing in between. And, it was hard starting.

Since I didn't feel like messing with it, I ended up making an adapter for a Holley 2bbl, and am running a Holley 350 2bbl and it ran great before I pulled it apart. Put the smallest size jets out of the Holley kit I could find (50s or 52s?). Plus Holleys are very simple to tune

Oh, and I got my Holley 2bbl for $3 at a swap meet and put a $20 rebuild kit in it...lol

So you'll be going to the junkyard. So that $5-$10 needs to also include the gas you spend to go there and back. Plus the day you've wasted getting the 5220, if you find one.

If you're just plopping it on your car maybe you'll get lucky and it will work fine. I'm sure after sitting in the junkyard for who knows how long with fuel varnishing in it that it probably won't have any issues. But there is the off chance you could spend $5-10 and have it work.

But what if you put it on and it either doesn't run or runs like crap? Then all the time you've spent going to the junkyard and installing the Holley is wasted and it comes back off.

I suppose then if you still want a Holley carb on the car and to pinch pennies you can get a rebuild kit. I looked at Mike's Project Log Rampage thread and saw he found that BWD part number 10633B was the right kit to get. I couldn't find this on rockauto, I did find one on ebay for $50. Maybe you can find one cheaper but you'll be spending some $ on it when you include shipping costs. Oh and add more time rebuilding the carb, reinstalling it, and hoping you got the rebuild right.

Or you could order the new Weber, plop it on there, adjust the base idle, fast idle, and air fuel mix and be done. On mine I had to adjust the choke a little bit, so add another 15 minutes of time there.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I know the economy is tight and people don't have extra $ to spend, but in this case I feel strongly that cheaper is not better.
    Not harsh at all. I actually appreciate the feedback from someone who has been there. My next step was going to be checking out the rebuild kits. They are about as much as a NIB one that someone has PMed me about. Hard to justify anything else given that price, but we will see.

Yeah I wasn't able to find that part number for that rebuild kit on Rock Auto either. I Google searched it and found it on Amazon.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

By the way... the kits aint cheap, and a regular kit for a Feedback type carb will not work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BWD-Automotive-10633B-Carburetor-Kit-/170621739671
    Thanks for the link Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    The non-feedback carbs are mechanical secondary, but, I got one and rebuilt it, cleaned everything, set it as per the directions...car would idle and run at full throttle...nothing in between. And, it was hard starting.

Since I didn't feel like messing with it, I ended up making an adapter for a Holley 2bbl, and am running a Holley 350 2bbl and it ran great before I pulled it apart. Put the smallest size jets out of the Holley kit I could find (50s or 52s?). Plus Holleys are very simple to tune

Oh, and I got my Holley 2bbl for $3 at a swap meet and put a $20 rebuild kit in it...lol
    How much did the adapter run you?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast