SRT-4 upgrades

My SRT-4 has the following mods:

- Stage 2 w/out toys
    - Mopar cat-back exhaust
    - Mopar short throw shifter
    - Motor mount inserts
    - K&N drop in
    - Toyota Supra PCV valve

I'm strongly considering a DSP and a wideband in the future.

Beyond that, what other mods make sense? Some items I'm considering are:

- AGP direct fit intercooler (I do not want to modify the front fascia, etc.)

- Walbro 255 fuel pump (seems to be a lot of discussion on SRT forums about fuel pump re-wire which may in fact be weak pumps)

- Forward Motion E1 Enforcer turbo

My goals are pretty modest, I just want to maximize the stage 2 that's on there. Thoughts/opinions appreciated.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: SRT-4 upgrades

First things would be the DSP. You'll love it. I liked mine, but took it out because i do not yet have a wideband and fear leaning out.

Then before you upgrade anything else, I would get the 255 pump, and a wideband.

I have the E1 turbo turbo, and really like it. I didn't gain any power from it without the DSP, but I do like the increaded drivability. Once you can tune with the DSP, you will see gains overstock with an upgraded turbo.

Then I would do the intercooler.

From what I have read, the above, with slicks, should give you a low 12second car.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Thanks Mike. Did you think the 93 tune on the DSP was too aggressive? Or did you just not want to tune without the wideband?

I definitely do not want to tune with the DSP without a wideband on there.

I am just afraid that the DSP tune won't have enough fuel for my car with the E1 I have on it. It might, but it might not. I won't know till i get a wideband on it.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I would go for a larger than stock downpipe as well. Stock one is pretty small at 2.25".

I hope to go 11's on stock turbo with a DSP, Full 3", better intercooler, and slicks. I went 13.9 with the bone stock srt setup and open diff, which was quicker than all the stock srt's at the track that night. I think it may be doable.

Also Scott... while this is not a performance mod per say, you will want to get an oil seperator in between your PCV valve and intake manifold. When you take your intercooler off, you'll see why .
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

I've been running the 93 tune on my car most of the summer.
    I can tell you with my mods, I'm hitting the COT, wideband goes in the 10's at WOT.
    I need to have duster360 turn that off so I can tune.
    On my car the 93 tune was weak compared to my Stage 2 W/toys using a Kinetics
    wastegate actuator.
    I was only boosting 15 lbs with the tune.
    I turned up the boost 10% and I'm hitting 20 now.
    Added a little fuel and I'm close to keeping it out of COT
    Mods are: Stage 2 W\Toys, DCR T body, 3" catless downpipe,(Stock exhaust) ported E mani, big wheel stock turbo, DSP 93 tune.
    I have a computer to datalog, just need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I've been running the 93 tune on my car most of the summer.
    I can tell you with my mods, I'm hitting the COT, wideband goes in the 10's at WOT.
    I need to have duster360 turn that off so I can tune.
    On my car the 93 tune was weak compared to my Stage 2 W/toys using a Kinetics
    wastegate actuator.
    I was only boosting 15 lbs with the tune.
    I turned up the boost 10% and I'm hitting 20 now.
    Added a little fuel and I'm close to keeping it out of COT
    Mods are: Stage 2 W\Toys, DCR T body, 3" catless downpipe,(Stock exhaust) ported E mani, big wheel stock turbo, DSP 93 tune.
    I have a computer to datalog, just need to do it.
    Have you upgraded the fuel pump?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

I bet the stock fuel pump could handle quite a bit if the injectors are large enough to keep the duty cycle down. I ran about 450hp in my Dakota on a stock fuel pump, along with a booster pump that increased pressure to the rail. That means the in tank pump had enough volume to supply, just not enough pressure for the little 24# injectors at 100% DC.

I think a lot of people over do it with a fuel pump first, then the car runs pig rich due to increased pressure and lack of tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    I bet the stock fuel pump could handle quite a bit if the injectors are large enough to keep the duty cycle down. I ran about 450hp in my Dakota on a stock fuel pump, along with a booster pump that increased pressure to the rail. That means the in tank pump had enough volume to supply, just not enough pressure for the little 24# injectors at 100% DC.

I think a lot of people over do it with a fuel pump first, then the car runs pig rich due to increased pressure and lack of tuning.
    Your in tank pump wasn't doing nearly as much work as it would have without the booster pump. More volume of fuel was passing through it because the work of making pressure against the regulator was devided accoss two pumps. Your stock Dakota pump by itself could not have supplied enough volume for 450hp.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

No fuel pump upgrade.
    I don't think I'll get one, I would first get a set of Duster360's big injectors
    He includes a rescale for them along with a rescale for E85

I've thought about adding a catch can for a while. I should probably do that as well.

I asked about the fuel pump because of all the threads on SRT forums about doing a fuel pump re-wire. I'm not convinced the fuel pump re-wire isn't just a band aid for a weakened pump.

I'm also not sure how great these 2000s era pumps are. Sometimes my SRT-4 will not crank right away. I know Pat on his Dakota is having the same problem, and I don't think the design of these pumps is the greatest with the regulator and fuel filter in the tank. My understanding is if the pump is not optimal the SRT-4 computer will pull timing, is that correct?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I've thought about adding a catch can for a while. I should probably do that as well.

I asked about the fuel pump because of all the threads on SRT forums about doing a fuel pump re-wire. I'm not convinced the fuel pump re-wire isn't just a band aid for a weakened pump.

I'm also not sure how great these 2000s era pumps are. Sometimes my SRT-4 will not crank right away. I know Pat on his Dakota is having the same problem, and I don't think the design of these pumps is the greatest with the regulator and fuel filter in the tank. My understanding is if the pump is not optimal the SRT-4 computer will pull timing, is that correct?
    Mine does the same thing. With the stock 1st gen pump, and the SRT pump. Sometimes it will crank for a few seconds longer than usual.

My SRT-4 does the same thing.... but not consistently. Oddly enough, mine was sitting in my driveway for more than a week before I fired it up this past Sunday and it fired up on what felt like the first crank rotation. That was very unusual.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

Don't forget all 3 of our cars are stage 2.
    When my car had stock computer, it fired instantly, stage 2, it has to crank for a few seconds.
    Every 2 years I have E check and have to throw the stock computer in it, always starts faster.

When my car had stock computer, it fired instantly, stage 2, it has to crank for a few seconds.
    Every 2 years I have E check and have to throw the stock computer in it, always starts faster.
    You mean they can fail you because your car takes a few extra revolutions to fire up?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

I heard about the starting issue w/ Stage 2 but didn't experience it til sometime after I had Stage 2 installed, probably for the first year or two w/ Stage 2 I didn't have any slow starting issues.

boostaholic

E chack fails because the Stage 2 w/ Toys computer uses a PT Cruiser Automatic PCM.
    This throws a code saying the Automatic transmission is having problems, because it's not hooked to the transmission.
    The engineers used the auto PCM because they needed more memory for the extra programming for the toys
    N2MB has a code scrubber you can wire in to eliminate the code, I just figure switching the PCM is free.

E chack fails because the Stage 2 w/ Toys computer uses a PT Cruiser Automatic PCM.
    This throws a code saying the Automatic transmission is having problems, because it's not hooked to the transmission.
    The engineers used the auto PCM because they needed more memory for the extra programming for the toys
    N2MB has a code scrubber you can wire in to eliminate the code, I just figure switching the PCM is free.
    Ahh. I use the code scrubber. Works great. If the PCM were in a more convenient location to swap out, I might have gone that route, but to swap out the PCM, Injectors, MAP and TIP, drive the car till the it's "ready" for testing, then swapping it all back when I am done would kinda suck. Especially since in PA inspections are annual not bi-annual.

Plus it makes me feel like I am pulling one over on the EPA. And that is a satisfying feeling for me.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

No testing here in Indiana. That makes me happy to live here. They would plug the scanner in a read a 2005, which wont jive with the 98 model it is registered as.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast