Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a 5x114.3 rear disc setup that will bolt up to our cars?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Is there a 5x114.3 rear disc setup that will bolt up to our cars?

Or you could just paint them too. That works for most OE and aftermarket wheels.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I know, I know. I've thought about that too. Either way I'm going to spend more money getting what I want, just trying to do my best to avoid painting over brand new wheels.

I need to update my signature.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

I have powdercoated many TD wheels at 400 or so degrees and have put 10s of 1000s of miles on them with zero issues...

Hybrid booster

I've had this discussion with guys on other forums before also. As Jon stated, some people say it's no big deal, others have said they personally know people who have had cracked or broken wheels after powdercoating. Here's my take on it... I understand that many aftermarket wheels are powdercoated from their manufactorer. Those wheel companies make boatloads of wheels, in the same oven, at the same temp, and they know what's safe. They know at what temps their wheels will get brittle, so they can powdercoat wheels accordingly with no ill effects. The local mom and pop powdercoating shop doesn't know that. They're just going to throw your wheels in the oven with the rest of that batch, and let er rip. So bringing wheels in to some place to have powdercoated, I'm not so sure it's structrually safe. With that being said, I think powdercoating street wheels, for normal driving, is probably just fine. Many people, like Jackson, have done it and driven thousands of miles without any issues. On the flip side of that are autox or road course wheels, especially with sticky tires on them. After coming off a long straight at Mid-Ohio or Road America at 100+ MPH, with slicks, and throwing the car hard into a corner, I'm not willing to take that risk. A broken wheel at high speed is going to be a big mess. Even at an autox, if you're haulin nuts into a corner(and haulin nuts for an autox is like 60mph), and a wheel breaks, it's going to be ugly.

Powdercoating street wheels, I'm not a fan, but it's probably fine. Powdercoating any wheel that takes high speed corners, no thanks...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I know something about minivan brakes... sorry im late.

The 84-95 vans for certain (i havent looked at 96-up but suspect they're the same) use a very similar 4 bolt pattern to the one that is on the car axles, but it is bigger.

I have done it two ways. One way, i adapted the larger minivan spindle to the car axle. Another way, i redrilled the hubs and rotors on a 10.5" solid rear disc setup to get the 5x114.3 pattern.

Either way would get you where you are trying to go.

Here is how i adapted van brakes to a car axle. Some people think it's half----, i think it's completely fine.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post461084

The re-drilling to change the bolt pattern is in my $2009 Aries thread but that thread is too big and im too lazy to dig that link up.

One thing to keep in mind is that the vans have a giant ~71mm hub bore. You NEED to check and make sure the wheels you are looking at will fit over that hub. Most aftermarket ones will, but some wont.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Thanks for the post Vigo! I actually remember reading about this when you posted this a while back, but never would have put 2 and 2 together, so thanks for chiming in. And the wheels I'm looking at have a 72mm bore, so just right!

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel though. Since Enkei doesn't have ANY way to direct link from their site to a phone number or email or anything, I contacted a vendor who sells the wheels and apparently if the size (not the color) is available on their fitment sheet, they make the wheel in the color as well. Hoping to get good news back from this guy tomorrow as I asked him tonight to confirm price, fitment and a full order for wheels, tires, center caps and mount and balance.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Thanks for the post Vigo! I actually remember reading about this when you posted this a while back, but never would have put 2 and 2 together, so thanks for chiming in. And the wheels I'm looking at have a 72mm bore, so just right!

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel though. Since Enkei doesn't have ANY way to direct link from their site to a phone number or email or anything, I contacted a vendor who sells the wheels and apparently if the size (not the color) is available on their fitment sheet, they make the wheel in the color as well. Hoping to get good news back from this guy tomorrow as I asked him tonight to confirm price, fitment and a full order for wheels, tires, center caps and mount and balance.

Awesome.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Would they be made here in Jax? I know we have an Enkei factory here.

Not sure where the wheels are made. Do you know someone on the inside?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12