Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: fishcleaner's GLH-T build

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: fishcleaner's GLH-T build

That's a good point, that situation is not static, while cornering, due to weigh transfer, the front wheels actually have (or can at least) have more potential grip, which will lessen the effects of lifting the least loaded tire.

I'm still with you on principal though, more contact and even loading should mean more potential grip.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good point, that situation is not static, while cornering, due to weigh transfer, the front wheels actually have (or can at least) have more potential grip, which will lessen the effects of lifting the least loaded tire.

I'm still with you on principal though, more contact and even loading should mean more potential grip.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The fastest FWD autocross cars I have ever seen regularly lift the inside wheel. I would not worry about it until you have too much oversteer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_IMG_1038.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	47307

Name:	Raglin1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	47308

Name:	img_38944.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	47309
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Exactly. Yes, having more tires on the ground ostensibly means more grip, but more grip in the rear is not necessarily a good thing if you want the car to turn well. How does the car handle right now? Does it oversteer 'too much'?

This is not exactly the same car but on my Honda Insight i run 195s in front and 165s in back to improve the handling balance. A lot of mods to make FWDs turn better involve REDUCING rear traction.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

I have a 1" rear bar on it now, just driving it around it felt like it lightened the rear but I haven't pushed it, I will find out tomorrow how it does. I agree balance is more important but there is something wrong when a wheel comes off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    I have a 1" rear bar on it now, just driving it around it felt like it lightened the rear but I haven't pushed it, I will find out tomorrow how it does. I agree balance is more important but there is something wrong when a wheel comes off the ground.
    Well it's not likely happening because of chassis flex or too body roll. The only two ways i can think of to keep the inside rear planted would be to lower the car's center of gravity or to soften up the suspension. The latter would likely be a detriment to performance tho.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

The rear bar felt real good, rear tires still came off the ground, but the car was more balanced. This was a big open course, almost a mile long and the first time autocrossing where the turbo could actually spool up. Most of the people there never heard of a turbo Omni but it got their attention when the tires were breaking loose thru the course. On the last run I kept the pedal in the carpet and if I took out a cone, so be it, made an awesome run, even had some good lines, went to check out my time, and they lost the number, ffffffuuuuuddddgggggeeeee me. The Brandywine Motorsports club and the local Porsche club give out the best trophies, a thick glass with their logos, winners get a bigger glass, I still ended up with a 2nd place in class.

Name:	monster omni.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	47326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMC second place.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	47327

Nice job!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Congrats! That's pretty awesome.

Hybrid booster

Are you kidding me!!??
    Subscribed!

Awesome work. This car is amazing.

Garrett booster

^agreed, awesome car. Reads like this help motivate me to get mine going

Hybrid booster

updates?

boostaholic

I had low oil pressure with the Omni since day one, it eventually got worse to no oil pressure coming back from Carlisle. Dropped the pan, opened up the pick-up tube, put a restricter on the turbo feed line, got rid of the oil cooler, moved the oil pressure sending units and now I have 100psi at idle, go figure. I also ran an auxiliary cooler on the coolant by-pass hose and the car held perfect temp readings in today's hot weather.

Was the cooler the issue or a combination you think or else?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    I had low oil pressure with the Omni since day one, it eventually got worse to no oil pressure coming back from Carlisle. Dropped the pan, opened up the pick-up tube, put a restricter on the turbo feed line, got rid of the oil cooler, moved the oil pressure sending units and now I have 100psi at idle, go figure. I also ran an auxiliary cooler on the coolant by-pass hose and the car held perfect temp readings in today's hot weather.
    Glad to hear you got it straightened out! This weekend certainly would been a good test of it's tolerance for hot weather. Hope you got a chance to go out and beat on it.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

^^ ^ I don't think it was the oil cooler, it was a B&M and wasn't clogged. There was what looked to be 1/2 a valve seal piece of rubber caught in the oil pick-up screen about the size of a dime, it didn't look big enough to block it, but it shouldn't have been there. The brass T that was screwed into the block for the turbo feed line didn't look like it blocked the oil galley but I replaced it anyway.

Brian shimmed the oil pump for more pressure but when I left his shop there was no real change in PSI, now it burries the 80psi gauge, I couldn't beat on it for fear of blowing up the oil filter, but it is less nerve wracking seeing the gauge needle on the opposite side.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Sounds like more fiddling is in order, but at least you 'fixed' it before the engine broke!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

I swear by Slick 50, this is the 3rd time for me it has saved an engine.

turbo addict

Not that it's not *possible*, but I highly doubt it was the Slick 50 that saved the engine...

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Not that it's not *possible*, but I highly doubt it was the Slick 50 that saved the engine...
    I'd have to agree. Pretty unlikely.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

boostaholic

I know the 2.2 is a durable engine but I ran 2 of them with no water in it from blowing hoses, pinging like a Btch from heat and they fired up the next day and in this last case, drove the car 50 miles in traffic with the oil pressure needle on the left side of 0 and it fired up with no strange noises. You guys could be right but for $20, I'll run it again.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011