Thread: L-Body NON-AC Dasboard Defroster Duct

Garrett booster

L-Body NON-AC Dasboard Defroster Duct

I am looking for the defroster ducting that fits in the L-Body dashboards. I need the revised version that opens up more space for the stereo pocket. I am not sure of the exact year they made the change but near as I can tell from my manuals 87 and up had them. The catch is it MUST be a Non-AC car as I have the non-air heater box. The Non-AC duct will have the heater box connecting point on the right side of the dash as you look at it (close to the glove compartment). If you can get it out without destroying the flexi duct that connects to the heater box that would be great but it is not critical. I will take the duct as long as the main duct body is not cracked or broken.

The duct itself is small and light enough that shipping should be straight forward.

BTW - If your pulling from a parts car, you will have to drop the steering column and either take out the dash or almost take it out enough to tip it forward to get the duct out. The duct will not come out with the dash in place (as far as I can tell).

--Paul

Garrett booster

Re: L-Body NON-AC Dasboard Defroster Duct

For sake of future searches, I want to provide some updated info here. It would appear the defroster duct is NOT redesigned - just the dash brace is. Therefor, owners with early L-bodies like Rampages, all you need is the updated bracket from a later l-body dash. It will bolt right in, the old bracket looks a bit like a "U" and the newer one looks more like an "H". With this bracket, a standard depth stereo will fit in the dash.

--Paul