Thread: plug on driver side of head

Mitsu booster

Question plug on driver side of head

so i noticed there is oil leaking out of some type of plug on the driver side of the head. was wondering if i need to pull the head to replace this plug or if i can pull the plug out and replace it. its a 88 daytona shelby z 2.2 turbo

turbo addict

Re: plug on driver side of head

if its the camshaft end plug it pulls right out.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

May want to post a picture and identify where. racoon's probably right, but there is a hole where a bolt goes where oil can leak from. Either way, get some silicone for the cam cap and maybe some for the bolt for a fix.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

will try to get a pic of it but looks like there are two round plugs on the side of the head one is higher than the other its the lower one

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Sounds like the core plugs, one of which (the smaller one), plugs the oil galley for the lifters... The larger one goes into the water jacket.

If it is leaking, it may just need to be replaced, but if the "sealing surface" is damaged/gouged, you'll likely have to tap it for a pipe plug, which is a more positive way of sealing that hole off, just kind of tricky when it's on the car due to the possibility of metal chips getting into the engine...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Don't use silcone on the black cam plug, anerobic or dry.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I've used silicone on the cam cap cover numerous times without fail. You just don't want to douse it with it, because it can accidentally plug up oil passages if it gets in the wrong place. I take a dab and use my finger to wipe it on the edge of the cap cover. The cap cover seats REAL tight in it's place, so a mil of silicone just ensures it doesn't leak. Doubtful that is the issue though it the leak is prominent enough.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Hardset permatex paste FTW!!