Thread: A523???? Transmission cable

Mitsu booster

A523???? Transmission cable

"I NEED HELP!" I need to bring my 86 Omni home from the body shop soon whether it is fixed or not. The body work and paint was finished a month ago and it turns out one of the tranny cables is broken. I was told the tranny is an A523 but I have gotten 2 cables already and they are both wrong. The cable is 56 1/2" long from end to end. One end has a very large diameter circle with no bushing. I have pics but can't seem to find how to attach them to this post. Are there any tranny cable pics I can look at to compare or can someone tell me how to post my pics so I can use everyone's knowledge to get the right cable. Thanks in advance for your help. I have been on turbo dodge and posted my pics and that is where I got the 2 wrong cables.

turbo addict

Re: A523???? Transmission cable

Join AAA and have the car tow home for free.

A523, A543, A568 all uses the same type of cables, only differences are the length due to different car/van they were used in. The 4 bushings you can buy aftermarket.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Use photobucket and link the IMG link, 3rd one down I believe on PB.

www.polybushings.com sells the booger bushings or shifter bushings.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    If the shifter has a reverse lockout then it most likely has a 520. If so it uses diffetent cables than the 523
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Mitsu booster

It doesn't have a reverse lockout. I am going by the car later today to recheck the tag on the transmission. I was told it says 523 but I have been sent cables for an A568 and they are not correct. Here are the pics of my broken cable. Thanks turbovanman for the photobucket tip. The cable in the 3 pics that is next to mine is supposedly from an A568 and should fit an A523 according to all of the information I have been able to gather. If the link to photobucket doesn't work, try copying it and pasting it. I think it will work that way.
    http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/jlsmith169/?action=view&current=cable3.jpg

That looks like a 523/568 cable.

If you cliick the 4th link down on the right, that's the IMG tag, it will say copied, then paste like so-

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

I was told this was a 568 cable as well. Mine is obviously the broken one. Is there supposed to be a bushing in that large end?

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

About to go verify the transmission now. Should have it posted in a couple of hours.

Mitsu booster

The cable is indeed an A523. I saw the tag with my own 2 eyes. I don't know what the issue is. I'm about to pop the bushing out of the cable I just received and machine the metal so it is large enough to slide over the bracket on the transmission which doesn't appear to need a bushing at all. The metal loop from the cable looks like it just slides over that metal portion of the transmission bracket arm and is secured with a pin. Here is a pic of where the cable connects to the tranny. If anyone can tell me where I am going wrong in locating the correct cable, I would really appreciate it.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

There is a plastic bushing that snaps into the cable end and that snaps onto the selector lever there. it would look something like the bigger bushing pictured here http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-23718-14044.aspx
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith169 View Post
    I was told this was a 568 cable as well. Mine is obviously the broken one. Is there supposed to be a bushing in that large end?

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

About to go verify the transmission now. Should have it posted in a couple of hours.

You need these, we mentioned it earlier,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	568bush_T.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	34134

Mitsu booster

So what it sounds like is I have the right cable now but the one that was on it was put on wrong. That large diameter end that came off was slid completely over the fat part of the arm and a pin was in place on the nipple to hold the cable on. So you are saying I just need to snap my cable that is in this picture onto the nipple? Is that right?

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/...cable2-1-1.jpg

Yes, but you need the bushings.

Mitsu booster

I was going to use the one with the bushing in it already. The cable pictured without a bushing and the large diameter hole is broken. The one above it is from an A568 and it still has a bushing in it. From what I have gathered that should be the correct cable and bushing to fit on my transmission. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith169 View Post
    I was going to use the one with the bushing in it already. The cable pictured without a bushing and the large diameter hole is broken. The one above it is from an A568 and it still has a bushing in it. From what I have gathered that should be the correct cable and bushing to fit on my transmission. Am I wrong?
    Ooops, lol, I was thinking of the larger one, yeah, you should be good to go. Use some silicone grease or spray so it goes on easier.

Garrett booster

In the picture you posted labeled trannycablelinkage.jpg, it looks as though somebody made a metal bushing and installed it on the pin on the shift lever on the transmission.

You can kinda see what it should look like in this picture: http://www.crazy4carz.com/gallery2/d...arselector.jpg

So in order to use the stock cables and stock type bushings you would need to remove that large diameter metal bushing from the pin on the transmission shift lever you have there.

All pins on both sides, 2x on trans side and 2x on shifter side should be the same diameter. The bushings in the cable ends should all be the same ID, 3 should have the same OD, 1 should be larger OD.

Mitsu booster

Is there an easy way to remove that arm from the tranny so that I can cut that off if I need to?

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

It looks just like a roll pin, but I don't want to start pounding on that arm before I know. I don't want to mess something up inside the transmission.

Mitsu booster

I am pulling that arm off today and I am hoping that whoever put that metal bushing on didn't weld it. Hopefully it will be back together tomorrow so I can bring it back from the shop and get some pictures of the car freshly painted. Install the lowering springs and fit the new intercooler and it will be back on the road.