Thread: SEM Interior paint codes...Anyone?

boostaholic

SEM Interior paint codes...Anyone?

Hey guys, well, i finally decided to get my 2 gauge pod done by molding it into the apillar for a cleaner look...i am trying to find the right color code for SEM plastic paint for my 89 daytona shelby. looking at that productions sheet, i know i have the " Charcoal" trim color...looking at SEMs pdf files of 89 mopar color chips i am asumming DK. CHARCOAL SEM #: 4408 is my match..but i can't seem to cross that number to anything... Has anyone found a match to the trim color for a 89 daytona shelby yet? Its more of a blueish charcoal to me...but who knows...

Anyone know before i try to by just charcoal paint?

Tom

Re: SEM Interior paint codes...Anyone?

I have found the charcoal to be the closest match to the interior on my Charger, which is mainly charcoal. I don't think you'll find another color. The next shade is much lighter if I recall correctly. The only thing I will say is you will more than likely see a difference regardless because of fading or just variances in the mixtures. It's as close as you'll get though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

Well i got ahold of a color chip pdf for the avaible colors. i printed it out and punched holes in the middle of them and matched them to my apillar....i found that MED SLATE GRAY was the closest match to mine...for some reason i can't find the charcoal color name....when i found the color chip pdf for 89 mopars the dk charcoal was still too light compaired to my trim color....looks like i will have to try the med slate gray and see how it turns out..

btw, its the MED SLATE GRAY 15873

Tom

Well your charcoal may be different than the charcoal I'm using for my car. I think it should be the same, but I can't imagine it being lighter than what I've used. Mine was a rattle can I got from a paint store, but man it sure matched well. Post pics when you get it painted so we can see the comparison in color.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Your local auto paint supplier shoudl have a color chart. They should also be able to mix any custom color you choose. Most major paint companies (Dupont, PPG, etc.) have interior color formulas.

boostaholic

Hey Jon, do you have any pics of your finished gauge pod you did? Also, is there any way to put the plastic look to the apillar when your done painting it? cause i am sanding and sanding and sanding this pod, so its going to be nice and smooth....just wondering if theres a way to re create that stock look....

It's funny you ask about the texture. I was looking at a few repair videos on You Tube the other day and this guy was repairing a dash and a vinyl arm rest. He was sanding and what not and I was thinking, how will he get the right look? Well SEM makes a can of texture paint you can apply. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to, but look for that.

This is what you can try. I haven't ever used it, but the video showed it to put down a texture. I originally did it with wrinkle paint and then some vinyl paint on top of that. Turned out ok, but I would go this route next time for sure.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/semteco.html

Here is the pre-paint of the wrinkle finish on my pillar pod.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post819830

boostaholic

I will have to try the SEM stuff..i'll post pics when i start painting it..right now i just got done glassin mine...gotta go get some filler now. ttyl.
    Tom

I used chip guard to restore the texture of the upper door panels on my GLH. The SEM texture is really fine. it's made to look like the pebble finish on black plastic parts of most new cars.
    A light coat of chip guard is about twice as heavy as the SEM stuff

boostaholic

So your saying to use chip guard then eh? is it SEM chip guard? Would you have a link to the stuff you used? lmk...my guage pod is just about ready to be painted...i gotta order this stuff...thanks.

I would order both and then test each to see which gives you the look you want. I've never used chip guard, but I do know it has a similar texture, based on my experiences in a body shop. But you need to be happy with it, so worst case is you'll have an extra can of the other.

SEM chip gaurd tends to be thick and runny. I used the cheap store brand my corner parts house has. The brand name is Auto Body Master.
    Best thing to do is try it on some scrap until you get the look you want.

boostaholic

Well, i got the glass and filler pretty much done...and i primered it up, looks pretty good i think..i found that menards has some texture paint called hammered...it kind of creates fish eyes...but if you don't spray it very heavy it creates a somewhat orange peel look...i like the look..so that what i am going to try...we will see..i'll post pics...hes some pics of it currently...this is a stock daytona t-top pillar with a molded gauge pod from fwd performance.

let me know what u think.

It's either too subtle or you'd need to take a picture in better lighting. I think it's too subtle though, from the first picture.