Thread: Door creaks and sags. and also door pins.

boostaholic

Door creaks and sags. and also door pins.

Alrighty, I took the saggy doors off of my 600 today (was parting it out anyway). The pins were fine. I didn't notice any oblong holes in the hinge on either the door or the car. It creaked like a son of a ----- and with the door open I could move the door up and down quite a bit if I grabbed the bottom of it. These doors are going on my 85 lebaron because they have no rust, and I'd also like to eliminate the door sag problem. What's the proper fix for this?

Thanks everyone.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.500441,-71.434605
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Re: Door creaks and sags. and also door pins.

Check the front of the door frame for rust and fatigue. Also the hinge mounting plate on the frame.
    Em long heavy doors wreak havok on hinges and mounts.
    A girlfriends LeBaron door fell off in the drive way once.I told her ..........but she jes would'nt listen

turbo addict

the sounds might be coming from those wheels that hold the door open. they tend to freeze up.

the sound could also be the door rubbing on the front fender as the door opens. in time it will catch the fender and fold it in.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic
    I know about the rust on the hinges, I had that happen to me on my 95 baron and I opened the door one day and it fell off lol. I welded it back in place and it was fine. I think on this car the slop is in the hinge, i didn't know if there was a way to drill for oversize pins or anything like that. I'd like to fix everything while the car is apart cause I plan on keeping this one a while

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.554620,-71.441318
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

turbo addict

wonder if the rear doors off a kcar use the same hinge? if so you could find some low use back door ones.

but either way, if you get new junkyard ones. id focus on the 4 door cars, they have lighter doors and the pins last.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I've done a couple cars where the just the wear on the pin and bushing caused a great deal of sag and slop. New pins and new bushings was all it needed. Oh, and I did have to re-do a lot of the spot welds on the front end of the door on my CSXT.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I had one car where that slider plate got caught by the door and bent by someone (probably me) forcing the door open.. after that it had slop. I would look at that slider plate thing.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic
    I guess I'll look into some door pins and bushings for this bad boy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316468095.703759.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	34103  

Hybrid booster

not sure about all the fwd mopars, but my 86 k wagon came from the factory with grease fitting holes. just have to use the needle attachment and pump a few squirts of fresh grease into the hinges every so often and that fixes any squeaks. i did have the driver door hinge drilled out and the next size up pin installed awhile back. but maybe you can use the hinge from a rear door like they said.

boostaholic

According to part numbers, ALL chrysler door pins and bushings are the same from 1966-1989. I ordered 3 sets from Rock Auto at a whopping 5.33 a piece. I got 3 just in case I screw one up. Heh.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

If the bushing hole in the hinge has lost its pressed fit, take a cold chisel and put 3-4 stake marks around the hole before pressing the new bushing in. Those little burrs will keep it from spinning and working its way out of the hinge.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    According to part numbers, ALL chrysler door pins and bushings are the same from 1966-1989. I ordered 3 sets from Rock Auto at a whopping 5.33 a piece. I got 3 just in case I screw one up. Heh.
    * Except L-bodies

Garrett booster

thanks now i know where to get the part for my sagging k car front doors

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

L bodies don't have this issue just don't try to remove the doors.
    (unless you got a day to use up.)
    How many years?..oh.