r/t .747
    60' 2.4240
    330' 6.8410
    594' 9.8429
    1/8ET 10.51
    1/8 MPH 67.07
    1/4ET 16.3019
    1/4 MPH 83.79

1989 Spirit ES with carpet and headliner removed.
    '89 3.0 short block with '00 Caravan heads, Diamente cams. Plenum divider removed and 52mm TB. Megasquirt literally tuned by the seat of my pants because I don't have a wideband.
    Stock original suspension rubber and shitty after market rubber engine mounts. Bad inner joint on re-man passenger axle. A543 3.50 FD . I went through the traps in 3rd around 7000 rpm.
    My first trip to the track in my Spirit ever. Wheel hopped through 2nd. 200lb driver and 120lb passenger.
    Last edited by 87turbodance; 09-17-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Went to the track tonight. Slower then I wanted but still fun

Wow, that's great. IIRC I managed a best of 16.3 in my Daytona at SDAC a couple of years ago. 89' TII with a MP cal in it. Keep up the good work.

turbo addict

we got a best of 15.1 today.. comparing both cars, that not bad considering how much is done to the shadow. Anyways, good work. ill try and get you a better tune once i have my car back on MS. our cars are very similar!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Not bad at all considering your first time at the track.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    we got a best of 15.1 today.. comparing both cars, that not bad considering how much is done to the shadow. Anyways, good work. ill try and get you a better tune once i have my car back on MS. our cars are very similar!
    I'm going to have to add a LC1 to my Christmas list I think.

I really just want add an Eaton M90 Harv style. 8psi from a roots blower should get me in the 14s.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Should I think it strange that people running MS are running slower?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

yes

Hybrid booster

14.308 @ 94.74 = slow?

87 - I'd DEFINITELY get an LC-1. Without proper A/F feedback, your tune is probably not as accurate as it could/should be robbing you of power. Once i got my tune dialed in somewhat and the nut behind the wheel tightened, I was mid to low 14's fairly consistently in a full interior P-body. I'd venture a guess that you are ritch in the upper RPMs robbing you of top end HP. I have had to constantly PULL fuel from my full throttle section of the map to bring the A/F #s in line. I probably can pull more, but haven't been able to drive the car due to all the transplant work for the new chassis.

turbo addict

speaking of wideband and wot tuning, for NA, what afr do you guys like. with ms i was at 12.5 and stock computer 13.2 not sure what was faster (no dyno )

the timing made the difference though, thats for sure

turbo addict

The general rule for a safe a/f ratio is 13:1 for N/A engines. 12:1 for turbo engines and add 1 point richer if using nitrous oxide.

turbo addict

i was plannin on 11.5 for turbo...

ryan, ill try and get you a tune of like 12.8:1 and that way with your setup it might be a tad richer or leaner but shouldnt be horrible...

what does your spark advance look like?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Should I think it strange that people running MS are running slower?
    I blame it on the fact that my VE table is mostly a guess at WOT.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ouch. You're definitely way down on power,thats slower than a stock 3.0/543 full weight spirit would be capable of.

I dont see how you could be making power at 7000 rpm with a barely modified engine.. I think you would have trapped higher shifting to 4th (if not ET'ing better).

My 3.0/543 dynasty with plenum divider removed and 52mm tb feels like it's peaking around 52-5300 rpm and then tapering slowly. My auto rev limiter is still at 5800 and while it's losing power at that rpm, i would ride it a few hundred more rpm before shifting if i had the option. I cant picture stock diamante cams moving your powerband more than a few hundred rpms so you're still way out of the powerband at 7k. It's possible some weirdness in your tune is tricking you into shifting late by being in better tune at 6000-something rpm than it is at 5000-something.

The wideband should let you get a lot closer to the full potential of the motor.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I'm pretty sure that I was holding onto each gear too long. I was looking through my logs and I was shifting at 6500. I think I would have been better shifting at 5500 or 6000. I love the sound of the 3.0 at 7000 rpm though.

I have 45 degrees timing at WOT from 3000 rpm to red line.

I'm not sure that the Diamente cams make any difference at all.
    Last edited by 87turbodance; 09-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.

6500 is not as outlandish to be shifting at.. Right now my 3.0 dynasty is probably pretty similar to your weight and motor mods (other than the cams, which may or may not do anything) and i think my ideal shift rpm is probably ~6000rpm. Not far off the ~5700 i shift at now. I wish i had the moved rev limit like you because i hit the rev limiter at ~85mph in 3rd, right where i'd probably be trapping, so it would be nice to be able to ride 3rd out at the track like you.

I saw in your other thread that you said you trapped the same whether shifting to 4th or staying in 3rd, so that addresses my earlier statement... I guess it all comes down to waiting for that wideband.

Hybrid booster

I really just want to get a wideband and some reground cams. I do need to replace some of the suspension rubber and engine mounts with poly. I thinking about a new chassis though. My Spirit is in great shape for it's age but it has some serious rust where the floor meets the firewall and behind the front wheels.

Garrett booster

There is a spotless bone stock 3.0L / 543 1993 Shadow in Bolton for like $2000ish. Red with black 16" Pumpers (I think that's what they're called).. if I remember I think it only had like 170km on it. Its on trader.ca

Hybrid booster

The First time i was ever on a drag strip my stock 3.0L DD shadow had two 16.4 second passes back to back at 82mph each time, 4 speed auto, 130,xxx miles on motor. My second run I was able to grab a .174 R/T . Off the line the car did great but by the time I made it past half track the car felt like it wanted to take a nap. Does anyone have a 1/4 mile time for a stock 3.0L with a manual? I think the 4 speed is holding the engine back quite a bit.

Plenty of people have made runs with 3.0/5spd cars, what body style are you asking about? The shadows run quicker than the spirits, daytonas, and lebarons.

Generally the p-bodies will run low 15s stock, and some people have gotten into the 14s. The heavier cars run high 15s stock. This is for the 5spds. Even the lightest 604/auto struggles to get into the 15s stock, although there have been one or two people that have gone pretty quick with near-stock 3.0/autos.

Hybrid booster

A stock P body 3.0 manual hitting 14's, geez, I didnt think they were that quick. Maybe ill have to keep my eyes open for a manual trans and perform a rainy day swap, haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast