Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Custom SS Hiem jointed shifter cables.

turbo addict

Re: Custom SS Hiem jointed shifter cables.

Sent push pull an email to get the ball rolling. They are out of California?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I did as well. Hoping to get two sets of the cables for two Spirit R/T's.

Does anybody here think that the shifter cable length for a Spirit R/T will work for a Shelby Lancer? I have converted my Shelby Lancer to A568 already. Maybe I will order three sets if the length is compatible.

Well I have sent off the stock shifter cables from a '91 Spirit R/T to David at push-pull.com. I'm having three sets made up: two for Spirit R/Ts, and one for my Shelby Lancer. Can't wait to get them back although it hasn't been long.

I sent them with the aluminum adapters on the A568 (the parts that attach to the shafts with roll pins). Not sure if that will be of help to him, but it sounded as if David wanted those parts. Did you guys send those with the cables? Can't hardly wait to get these new cables back and install them!

turbo addict

i sent an email with no response, think its better to call them?

My only correspondence with them has been via email.

info@push-pull.com

I haven't got the shifter cables back yet despite being about a month out. I sent a set of shifter cables from a '91 Spirit R/T and wanted three sets made. $970!! That is about $325 per set so I guess prices have gone up.

I got the cables today. They are very nicely made for sure! The heim joints are adjustable and also the big aluminum piece that clips into the stock bracket is also adjustable. I don't know for sure but I think part of the reason for the cost increase is because of the heim joints on both ends. David called me and wanted to know if I wanted full heim joint cables (hell yeah!)

I'm very pleased with the cables thus far. I haven't installed a set yet. That will probably happen this weekend.

One thing that I'm going to figure out is how to attach the heim joint ends to the transmission. The original cables use a rubber grommet that pushes onto the stub. With a heim joint, I'm not really sure how I'm going to secure the cable end to that. A circlip or 'E' clip might be in order now. Would like to hear from others that have 'been there and done that'.

Hybrid booster

I would use a snap ring, instead of an e clip. Less chance of springing off

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Drill out the ball studs and bolt the spherical rod ends to the selector bracket.
    Use conical washers on both sides of the rod end to prevent binding.

turbo addict

what was the price increase?

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Drill out the ball studs and bolt the spherical rod ends to the selector bracket.
    Use conical washers on both sides of the rod end to prevent binding.
    Thanks! Where would I get these conical washers? Seems like the ultimate fix..

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIroc
    what was the price increase?
    From reading this thread, I was expecting more like $250 for the pair of cables, so a $75 price increase came as quite a surprise, especially given that I had them do three sets in one buy!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Thanks! Where would I get these conical washers? Seems like the ultimate fix..

From reading this thread, I was expecting more like $250 for the pair of cables, so a $75 price increase came as quite a surprise, especially given that I had them do three sets in one buy!

When it comes to hardware McMaster car could help you out

Cool, I have quite a few things I've been thinking about ordering from McMaster. I have a feeling I might be digging through their online catalog for a while tonight.

turbo addict

The iPad app they have is dam amazing. Love using it. The shipping is what I love it's usually here in a day or two

Dang, no iPad here. I almost bought one but decided to get the 11" MacBook Air instead. I'm sure my user name suggests I am an Apple fan-boy, but it is really OSX that I'm a fan of (iOS not so much..). Thanks for the info. Looking through the catalog now..

I have installed set of the cables in a '91 Spirit R/T today with the help of current owner of the car. They fit great! I had no problem installing the 'U' retaining clips onto the shifter or the cable bracket on the transmission. The heim joints that these cables come equipped with fit over the stock 'pegs' on both the shifter and the OEM aluminum adapters on the selector shafts on the transmission side. They fit over the pegs perfectly with no play and provide just enough room for a retaining clip. Thankfully, the groove on the pegs allowed an 'E' clip to fit perfectly. We had to adjust the cable lengths a litle bit, but it was a piece of cake. With the 'E' clip removed, slipping the heim joint off the peg for adjustment is very easy!

The worst part of the whole thing was trying to pop off the polyurethane shifter bushings that the car had been using. Those things fit over the pegs incredibly tightly... Also, we were able to reuse the rubber grommets that go over the original cables and seal the holes in the floor pan. We sliced them lengthwise down the middle and were able to put them over the new cables and work them into place with good fit.

Shifter feel has improved big time.....although we have not been able to go for a test-drive yet because of other upgrades we are working on.

VERY pleased with these cables so far!!

Carroll, can you update the first post with the info in this one? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post851213 If there is any additional information, maybe update the first post with that as well? I may need to get a set.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I have a bit of an update myself. I have now driven the Spirit R/T with it's new cables from push-pull.com and absolutely love them! Previously the car had stock shifter cables that were outfitted with very hard polyurethane bushings from polybushings.com.

The shifter effort is easier than before...as if a lot of friction has been relieved somewhere. It is also tighter and more precise than before. Even with the poly bushings, it felt a bit rubbery. I don't blame the poly bushings, but the cables themselves were just giving out. With the new cables, there is absolutely no slop anywhere, and I feel like I can trust them in street racing duty and banging gears no problem. I love the heim joint ends because they contribute to the improved effort *and* precise feel *and* they are also easy to remove/adjust/reinstall. MUCH much easier than removing/reinstalling those rock hard poly shifter bushings.

These were installed in a local friends Spirit R/T and I also bought two other sets for both my Spirit R/T and Shelby Lancer (A568 equipped). Can't wait to put them in those cars and be rid of those crappy stock cables!

Would you say this is a worthwhile upgrade, regardless of stock cable condition?

I would say yes for me. If you are just interested in tooling around town and going to the grocery store, then stock cables are fine.

If you are interested in drag/street racing and are worried about flubbing a shift, then these cables are where it's at.

The problem with the stock A523/A568 cables, is that there is a weak link near the cable bracket that is mounted on the transaxle. It is hard to explain, but the weak link in one of the cables basically means that the cable itself (on stock cables) can come out of the 'sheath' and balloon out right at one of the 'U' clips that secure it to the bracket. This will ruin your shifts (1st-to-2nd, or 3rd-to-4th) and make if feel like a pile of oatmeal. At that point the race is over and you've lost and you have to limp home in 1st and 3rd gears. IF you are lucky, you can take the clip and cable apart and get it back together.....but how long will it last until it happens again?? I've seen this scenario with many A523/A568 equipped cars.

With these new cables, there is no fear of that happening and voila....confidence! (on top of all the aforementioned benefits).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast