Thread: The typical A568/A523 shifter cable problem

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

The typical A568/A523 shifter cable problem

Just got this Spirit R/T running again, and have already had to fix the shifter cable once. It's fine now, but I imagine the problem will probably come back.

I've had this problem on a few different A568 and A523 transaxles. What happens is on a hard shift to 2nd or 4th gear, the shifter feels like mush going into 2nd or 4th gear and I end up often missing shifts or I just can't get the car to go into 2nd or 4th gear at all or it grinds a bit. The problem is that the actual cable itself is coming out of the sheath at the shifter cable bracket on the trans and this prevents it from moving the shifter lever on the trans enough to engage 2nd or 4th gear. Thankfully 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse gears don't seem to be affected much (at all?) so I am not stranded. Sometimes I can just get the sheath to push back in where it belongs. It seems there is an O-ring that is slipping out from under the retaining clip. Other times I've had to remove the retaining clip, put it back together, and then pound the clip back in and just pray it doesn't happen again.

I imagine others have had this problem and I'm wondering how to fix it for good. I need this car to be absolutely reliable as possible or I'll never hear the end of it from the new owner.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: The typical A568/A523 shifter cable problem

If you're selling a Spirit R/T to a guy who would never let you hear the end of it about a known problem common to all of them, you are asking for trouble.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Tell me about it. Pure dread.

boostaholic

Jeremy,you need to just get a different cable. I have had this happen and tried to save them and never had any luck. Get a good used cable and lube it up real good and install it. You should be good for many miles after that. I have found that if you dont lube the cables every so often this happens.

Thanks Jackson. Now that I think of it, every time I've managed to fix this problem for good in other cars it resulted in me finally swapping the cable out. I'm looking into getting some cables made from push-pull.com (Thanks Carroll!) Or possibly from Great Lakes Hot Rod if they are willing.

Also, I have never attempted to lube the cables. Can you explain how that is done correctly?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Also, I have never attempted to lube the cables. Can you explain how that is done correctly?
    cut the corner out of a zip loc baggie enough to get the baggie over the end of the cable sheath.

tape/zip tie baggie to the cable sheath.

hang cable up with the baggie at the top.

fill baggie with lube of choice.

remove baggie when lube drips from the other end.

thats how i do it with all sorts of cables.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Sounds good, thank Brian. I was thinking graphite spray, but I'm sure good 'ol WD-40 would work quite well here.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I would use white lithium personally. WD-40 isn't much of a lubricant.

Garrett booster

Iturbo, I'm having this exact same problem with my rt as you described in your first post. Mine seems fine unless I shift in 2nd or 4th when the rpms are going to put that gear at or above 4.5k or so like when going 90 on the interstate in 5th and trying to shift back to 4th LOL. Strange thing is some days it seems to go in fine without the problem. I thought it was maybe just the bushings. I've heard the aftermarket cables are not strong from your typical places. Are you getting yours made custom from push-pull.com and if so how much is that going to run?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Motorcycle chain lube. Liquified until the solvent evaporates leaving a sticky grease residue. Seal up the top of the baggy so the solvent won't evaporate until after it has a chance to drain into the cable.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Thanks Jackson. Now that I think of it, every time I've managed to fix this problem for good in other cars it resulted in me finally swapping the cable out. I'm looking into getting some cables made from push-pull.com (Thanks Carroll!) Or possibly from Great Lakes Hot Rod if they are willing.

This is the reason I got my cables made. Good used cables are getting harder and harder to come by and the cheap Chinese replacements are just that, cheap. I wanted something better than stock that would last a long time. Those that I know of that got cables from PUSHPULL have been very happy with the product and customer service.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

+1 on the pushpull.com cables

boostaholic

The lube in the baggy (lol) trick sounds pretty good. What I usually do is use Tri-Flow lube and pull the boots back out of the way and hold the cabel up so its vertical and spray the lube while spinning the cable till it comes out the other side. This will last a long time and after doing it once I dont think I have ever had to do it again. Just make sure you use a factory Mopar cable. le

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

My uncle taught me the baggy trick for motorcycle cables. I've used Mobil 1 motor oil to lube cables before. Works pretty well. Also various motorcycle cable lubes.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

I guess my shift cable is failing
    Think I have one in a shed at my parents...but 10 years later who knows what the fitment is. Want push pull.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56