Thread: What am I doing?!?!

Garrett booster

What am I doing?!?!

I'm new to this site but not new to TD's I have an 86 daytona imputing a new motor in it currently and I want to go with intercoolig and a 1 peice intake what exactly do I need also what kind of boost can I run on stock t2 injectors? The other problem is putting a 782 head on a 85 bottom end because it will raise compression that is another thing I need to put in accout for boost levels and finally what ECM should I look for I don't want to go smec

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: What am I doing?!?!

www.thedodgegarage.com will help alot.

You can run 14-15 psi on the stock injectors before they crap out, barring they are in good shape and your fuel pump is good, that is also with a stock Garrett. Bigger turbo throws that out the window.

ECM, you need to find an 87 TI or TII computer, preferably non L body IE external map, then you can have the TI LM chipped for a cal as TII"s are getting harder to find.

For the swap, you need the intake, tb, tps and ais plus some the ais connector-you'll need to run 2 new wires to the LM to run it, throttle cable and kickdown cable if auto, fuel rail, injectors, vacuum connectors, drill the intake for the CAT sensor if you don't get a TII one, turbo inlet adapter, valve cover or fitting and the OEM pcv 3 way hose.

Wiring, just the 2 AIS wires-I just did one, cake.

Compression, yeah, if your planning on only running 14 or so, you can get away with the extra 1/2 point but you should run an IC or turn the boost down to say 5-6 psi and run premium fuel, or keep the G-head and have a custom cal done for it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you just convert to TII electronics you'll be all set as far as a cal for the swirl head. I think you'll need a later distributor though.

Unless your current wiring harness is beyond repair, I would just stick with the LM setup.

Garrett booster

I have to go with the newer head because the g head is cooked ad yes I'm going intercooled I found a 87 csx lm for $75 any opinions on that?

turbo addict

You better check valve to piston clearance when using this combo. I'm talking about a belt breakage situation. You may no longer have a non-interference motor using that combo. Hang both a intake and exhaust valve wide open and slowly turn motor over without belt on. There is a reason the factory had valve reliefs in the swirl pistons and not the g-head.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Dony409 View Post
    I have to go with the newer head because the g head is cooked ad yes I'm going intercooled I found a 87 csx lm for $75 any opinions on that?
    Get it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

I'm not that worried about pistons and valves but that is good to know. But what's your opinions on the lm?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    www.thedodgegarage.com will help alot.

ECM, you need to find an 87 TI or TII computer, preferably non L body IE external map, then you can have the TI LM chipped for a cal as TII"s are getting harder to find....
    ...For the swap, you need the intake, tb, tps and ais plus some the ais connector-you'll need to run 2 new wires to the LM to run it, throttle cable and kickdown cable if auto, fuel rail, injectors, vacuum connectors, drill the intake for the CAT sensor if you don't get a TII one, turbo inlet adapter, valve cover or fitting and the OEM pcv 3 way hose.

Wiring, just the 2 AIS wires-I just did one, cake.
    Also need to move power loss & distance sensor wires from blue to red connector.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Also need to move power loss & distance sensor wires from blue to red connector.
    Must be an 86 thing, I do recall doing that on a GLHT I converted a few years ago. Luckily the 87 was just the AIS.

Forgot to add, you'll need to notch the exhaust manifold to clear the intake or find a later TI or TII.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 09-13-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    You better check valve to piston clearance when using this combo. I'm talking about a belt breakage situation. You may no longer have a non-interference motor using that combo. Hang both a intake and exhaust valve wide open and slowly turn motor over without belt on. There is a reason the factory had valve reliefs in the swirl pistons and not the g-head.
    Todd
    i have an 83 Shelby block with a 782 head cut .25 and theres no interference