Thread: Rotational Mass

Garrett booster

Rotational Mass

Here is a great read about rotating mass, acceleration ect.

I thought i would post it.

http://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Rotational Mass

That's a great read.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I don't agree with their flywheel assumptions though. I dropped my launch rpms by 500 rpms going to an aluminum flywheel on my "street car" and it was easier to modulate.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I don't agree with their flywheel assumptions though. I dropped my launch rpms by 500 rpms going to an aluminum flywheel on my "street car" and it was easier to modulate.
    You'd be the only one, Reeves is experiencing what happens with a lighter flywheel, its harder to launch. I know back in my Aircooled VW days, that was one of the mods, made it harder to drive around town.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

That's fine with me. I won't go without an aluminum flywheel in a manual car.

As long as you dont 'compromise' strength removing weight from everywhere and everything would be ideal...power/weight ratio

I am highly qualified to speak about this topic. Ultra light rotating mass should ONLY be used in road or stock car racing. there may be a slight benifit on drag racing however do NOT use it for a daily driver.

In my latemodel stock car, I used a clutch package that weighs a total of 10# (tilton twin disc 5" clutch including flexplate) crankshaft 32#, light MFR trans, aluminum driveshaft, lightened for 9" aluminum full spool, and we cut down the ring gear to minimum needed for tooth contact, gun drilled axles, aluminum hubs and super light rims. all this light parts made for very fast throttle reponsen and a high amount of engine braking when lifting for the corner. to try and drive something like this on the street would be nearly impossible for starting from a dead stop, it would be very jumpy on part throttle and lift. for daily driver, you want some flywheel mass just for making the car comfortable to drive and reduce twitchiness.