Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo to manifold stud thread size/pitch?

turbo addict

Turbo to manifold stud thread size/pitch?

Just wondering what size they are im assuming m12x1.5 ? i want to try to find small diameter nuts to squeeze between 2 of the mounting ears that are pretty close on my hx 35 to mount it. I dont feel like taking the mani back off to bring it somewhere to have them sized up lol. I lost the nuts that came off the other manifold that got ruined. only 2 came off anyway the other 2 i had to torch off which is why the mani got ruined. Thanks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: Turbo to manifold stud thread size/pitch?

I'm not positive on the TIII engines, but if they're the same as the 8V engines, they're 10mm x 1.5. The factory nuts are a 15mm hex. Might try an exhaust shop or something, they're difficult to find aftermarket. Otherwise hit up the junkyards and look for any Fords with the 2.3 Turbo engine. They used the same nuts.

turbo addict

Yea i measured the stud this morning its 10mm idk how to find pitch but im pretty sure 1.5 looks right. As for the size of the nut hex, I dont remember what i used, but im thinking they were 14mm? Either way a 15mm nut will never fit in at least the one spot to mount my turbo. Eh well i been around this path may times i will figure something out, mainly wanted to find the thread size/pitch at least.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

10X1.5 i used arp chromoly bolts with the small 13point heads, worked perfect for me! i can get you a part number if you want. iirc it was like 12 for the 4
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    10X1.5 i used arp chromoly bolts with the small 13point heads, worked perfect for me! i can get you a part number if you want. iirc it was like 12 for the 4
    Yeah, post the PN. Did you use them as bolts with the 12pt heads still on, or cut the heads off and turn them into a stud?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

That would be perfect! Only prob is were you able to use the 13 point end of your wrench in the one spot i mentioned above? i know i woulda never got a stock nut on there and woulda of had to use the box end of a wrench to tighten a normal nut. But since these will be 13 point i just wanna find out what you had to do since a box end wont do anything for a 13 point nut lol. Well if the nut is like 12mm or something i can get the 13 point end of a wrench on that! Maybe 13mm too? any bigger i doubt it for a 13 point nut.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Those would be ideal for the heat of the exhaust too!

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Hey another thing i meant to ask. I seen there was no gasket between the stock turbo and mani, but should i use one for the holset? cus i seen holsets use a gasket between their turbo/manifold. In fact most turbo cars do lol. Steel shim gasket. if not no biggy. But t3 steel gaskets are a dime a dozen on ebay and such.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I thought they were fine thread, IE 1.25 pitch, I had to scrounge thru my Import bolt bin to get the right nuts,
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 09-06-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

oh idk. Carroll, the rod bolts/nuts you used did the nuts happen to fit the stock studs? I was assuming you used the nuts from the rod bolts on your stock nuts but just in case u didnt... yea.

opps sorry . they are not 13 pt heads just 13mm heads. before i had 15/17mm heads and getting them tightened was a real pita! I no longer use nuts or studs....the arp bolt screws right into the manifold. ill dig up the invoice tomorrow for you.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

i have never used any kind of gasket.
    Carroll

I use 2 studs and 2 bolts, mucho easy,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

wait howd u get the bolts through your turbo housing the way its casted carroll? thats crazy! maybe thats the difference between my hx35 and your he351? the casting come in the way of 2 of the 4 holes. one is just worse than the others lol. a 13mm nut woulda been great though!

Either way carroll get me the number and i will order them and just use the nuts. As long as they are 10mmx1.5 thread?

I have a Precision turbo now but, it shouldn't make a difference. I just remembered that the bolts I ordered were a tad to long so I cut some off the ends. If you can order the a few mm shorter that would be good.

Not sure why you are still asking about the thread size, I gave that to you already...Are you actually listening to Simon?! Here is the link to the ones I bought....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-662-1003/
    Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I have a Precision turbo now but, it shouldn't make a difference. I just remembered that the bolts I ordered were a tad to long so I cut some off the ends. If you can order the a few mm shorter that would be good.

Not sure why you are still asking about the thread size, I gave that to you already...Are you actually listening to Simon?! Here is the link to the ones I bought....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-662-1003/
    That's not very nice,

He's right though, the other stock manifold I have is 10x1.5, mine for some reason is 10x1.25?????

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

10mm x 1.5 is right. I ordered a set of studs and nuts from www.atpturbo.com and they fit my TIII stuff great.

Studs: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=FST

Nuts: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=FST

turbo addict

Carroll i wasnt asking what the stockers are anymore. What i asked you is IF you used the rod bolts and nuts, then i would use JUST the nuts if they matched my thread on my manifold. There is no way im going to get bolts through some of these holes cus the tgurbo housing is in the way. So thats why i was asking if the nuts from the rod bolts in fact were m10x1.5 Because you said nevermind you didnt use just the nuts you used the rod bolt too. Therefore that makes a big difference because if the rod bolt is a different thread i cant use the nuts. Ya feelin me dawg? lol

Did you look at the link? There are no nuts, just bolts and they're not rod bolts(pack of 5,lol). you should be able to get bolts in without any problem as long as they are short enough. Maybe im miising something with your turbo? If you want to use studs and bolts then get what Jeremy posted.
    Carroll

turbo addict

Carroll i already have studs in my manifold which is why i asked what the thread size is lol. I said im missing the nuts i took off it thats all. 2 of the 4 i got off the other 2 i had to torch off. And no i hadnt looked at the link, i was just responding to what you last said. I see what u mean now though as far as you having just bolts. What i thought u were saying the whole time was first you used nuts on stock studs. Then you said oops i used rod bolts and as Steve apparently thought too, you ground the head off and used it as a stud and then nuts to hold the turbo on. Usually rod bolts have a flat head and a nut holds the cap on. Thats what me and steve got the impression you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    10mm x 1.5 is right. I ordered a set of studs and nuts from www.atpturbo.com and they fit my TIII stuff great.

]

Awesome! Not sure I want to use the locking nuts, as it may make things nearly impossible to remove years later....

That $1.05 is for each, correct?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

I found the m10 1.5 nuts in the smaller hex size 14mm. they are just like the ones in that link. I can get them in pack of 25 though lol. So Steve if you would like any let me know i will have plenty haha. they are the exhaust OEM type stuff with the copper coat. Mitsu and many other foreign cars have them. I ddnt know i could find them in 14mm hex so i didnt bother looking but gave it a go anyway. Its only 18 bucks with shipping for the 25 so im not crying over it lol. Heck i can sell them off to all the mitsu guys and they love them cus they fit in tight places!!!! They dont lock up as bad as you would think though Steve. They open up as you get onto the stud and go down rather easy and stay there once heated. But if the studs dont rust up they will come off.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post

Hey Jeremy, I just ordered the studs/nuts. I got raped... but had to have something that I know works perfectly under extreme temps (didn't want to use threaded rod cut to length via Home Depot)

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast