Thread: .82 exhaust housing?

Garrett booster

.82 exhaust housing?

I have a 2.5 16v and need a new turbo. Does anyone run a .82 exh housing????

Thanks
    andy

turbo addict
    .82 is huge. You can make a lot of power on a .63.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Re: .82 exhaust housing?

ran one on my 2.4 -> full boost between 3500-3800 depending on cam settings and ignition timing

Garrett booster

Andreas, so you are NOT running it anymore? Did you take it off because it was too high a RPM at 3800?
    I see you have the exact turbo that I am considering, GT3076R. Are there any pictures of this engine here on turbo-mopar or another site.

Thanks

Andy

not running it anymore because i'm now selling all my stuff :-/

i've been very happy with the .82 ... i wouldn't dare to run it on an 8v engine, but 2.4 16V - not problem at all.
    check out my build-thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...iew&highlight=
    on page nr.2 you can see the coated housing.

here's my sale thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ts)&highlight=

lmk if i can help you out

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would run a .63. I am running the .82 on my van with the GT35R, its not bad but hard to spool at the line, the .63 would be much better. I get full spool at 41-4200 with that turbo.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

gt35 has a bigger turbine wheel, whole different story simon

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    gt35 has a bigger turbine wheel, whole different story simon
    I know, but he's still better off with a .63,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Hearing "full spool" at xxx rpms would mean more if you posted what that boost pressure was.

Kinda like the format in this thread, which I think could help in turbo selection and the capabilities of each combination.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...boost-database.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Cliff Ramsdell ended up going with the .82 over the .63 on his 16v 2.5 a few years ago. He said the turbo would hit too hard/too fast with the .63 and the .82 helped the way the boost came on and made for a better drving car.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

i can confirm that!
    full boost was set to 19PSI

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Cliff Ramsdell ended up going with the .82 over the .63 on his 16v 2.5 a few years ago. He said the turbo would hit too hard/too fast with the .63 and the .82 helped the way the boost came on and made for a better drving car.
    Guess I am different, I'd prefer to have the power down low, more under the curve per say,

turbo addict

i can confirm that!
    full boost was set to 19PSI
    If this was directed at me, then you made 19psi between 3500 and 3800 rpms? Do you have enough information to post in the linked thread?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lancer402 View Post
    Andreas, so you are NOT running it anymore? Did you take it off because it was too high a RPM at 3800?
    I see you have the exact turbo that I am considering, GT3076R. Are there any pictures of this engine here on turbo-mopar or another site.

Thanks

Andy
    i've been very happy with the .82 ... i wouldn't dare to run it on an 8v engine, but 2.4 16V - not problem at all.

i spooled the gt3076r at 4200 with a 8v 2.2 setup. I then placed that top end on a 2.5L bottom end and it would roast slicks at 3500rpm. turbo will now be going onto a TIII head and .63 exhaust housing. i am expecting better spool then the 8v setups.....

the GT3076R taps out around 530whp.......a .63 housing should get you preetty close to those #s......

now if your running a GTX series turbo, then by all means get the .82 housing

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    i spooled the gt3076r at 4200 with a 8v 2.2 setup. I then placed that top end on a 2.5L bottom end and it would roast slicks at 3500rpm. turbo will now be going onto a TIII head and .63 exhaust housing. i am expecting better spool then the 8v setups.....

the GT3076R taps out around 530whp.......a .63 housing should get you preetty close to those #s......

now if your running a GTX series turbo, then by all means get the .82 housing

just think of all the holset swapped 16v cars out there.....they are using the 12cm housing which equates to .84 i believe.....its just a tad bigger then a .82 from what i remember...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Hearing "full spool" at xxx rpms would mean more if you posted what that boost pressure was.

Kinda like the format in this thread, which I think could help in turbo selection and the capabilities of each combination.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...boost-database.
    Don't know where you guys are coming up with this? If the Charger is set to 20 psi (street pump gas tune) it's ful spool 4th gear at around 3900-4000rpm. If it's set to 35 psi (race gas) it's full spool 4th gear at about the SAME 3900-4000rpm!!!!!

Didn't understand what all of you Don't understand about that dynamic????? As I didn't understand what the purpose of that thread was either.

Now, IF your talking about datalogging the Charger at 35 psi to see where it crosses 20 psi, THAT it a totally diffeent story, but has NO relevence to anything really.

Obviously, the higher you set the boost, the faster it's going to reach lower boost levels on the way!

On the other hand, IF your getting a noticable increase in spool time as you turn your boost up, You deff have other problems to be worked out, you'd need to start a thread on how to properly control boost.........Period!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

I thought the purpose of the thread I liked to was to datalog the boost response times as the rpms increase under various loads. If you want to participate, I'd like to hear your results.

This is making a mess of the original thread.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Cindy, thanks for bringing this up. I remember Cliff using a .82 as well but couldn't remember the details.

Andy

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

not running it anymore because i'm now selling all my stuff :-/

check out my build-thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...iew&highlight=
    on page nr.2 you can see the coated housing.

here's my sale thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ts)&highlight=

I see your .82 turbine housing and the wastegate. I have the swingvalve too but its the fabricated welded unit. Are these two items still available?

Andy

yes they are - PM sent!