Thread: 1986 daytona build!

Garrett booster

1986 daytona build!

I recently did some work on an 86 Daytona turbo z with T roofs CS handling package and fully loaded interior. It started out a sad story with a bad turbo big rod knock several leaking valves and poor compression... Along with broken rear window and poor paint job on the hood.
    This is the night I brought my baby home

I soon after pulled it into the shop to start it's journey to awesomeness

The donar motor (107km on the clock)

Nearing getting it back together

Once the motor was attached

I went with a g head motor because of my budget I also had a blue Shelby z that happened to have a good donor turbo that worked awesome after I cleaned it out really really good, I also salvaged the manifolds and the cam I also have a 555 to check out for a later time.

It also has a decent exhaust in it (2.5") and kyb gas adjust shocks and eibach springs all around. I also now have after market wheels on it with some decent rubber I have alot of hours into this car and not giving up now I need to fix the exhaust as my afpr ad wideband and then go for some fun tuning it's running a glhs mp performance stage 2 logic module and currently running as little boost as possible (5) but it is going to be alot of fun and I think the tires I got are pretty cheap and they spin like theirs oil on the road but handle awesome lol

My dad recently bought a 92 iroc rt so now we both have daytonas and I definately plan on giving his car a run for the money let me know what you think I always need advice for little things and I would like to find someone who is good with g head motors and also someone who could help me figure out what could cause this car to run soo soo rich

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 1986 daytona build!

Very nice! I love those body styles There's a red one just like yours around here locally and I went and knocked on the owners door to see what the story was with it. ( it hadn't been on the road in3 years) and he told me it all it needed were tires. I'm really sad that car is rotting away still to this day and that was in '09.

As far as a G motor I'm guessing you mean you put a G head on the car or an engine with a G Head on it. I'm not 100% but your car is running a swirl head LM. That willcause you to run rich. Hopefully someone that is sure will pipe up

Garrett booster

Re: 1986 daytona build!

G head motors have different pistons and good rods. I am not really worried about "rich" but my portable afr gauge would Nail out (I tested it on my truck) and it reads to 10.3 -1 and it's hassled itself...

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

This car has a little rust around the grommet... But we have welders and plasma cutters now so no biggie but I also went with rear discs