Thread: Piston install question

turbo addict

Piston install question

Anyone ever install a piston from the bottom? I know I can remove it from the bottom. Didn't know of it were possible to compress the rings from bottom.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Piston install question

the tapper is smallest at the bottom, but that just means you don't have to ridge ream the cylinder to get it out....

Now, whether or not you have enough room, don't know, I would expect at a minimum you would need to drop the crank, but once that's done it should be doable, but it'll probably only be marginally easier than popping the head off. You may want/need to modify a ring compressor to work at a funky angle to have enough clearance for the tool, unless you are using this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...sor-97709.html It might need a super-extend-o allen wrench/socket, but much easier than modifying the pliers style and for $10.00, I'd take the chance!

Be sure to report how things went, I'll have a similar job ahead of me pretty soon too!

Mike

PS Given the reasons why you are having to do this, dropping the crank just to check the bearings would be a good idea, worn/pounded bearings should pretty clearly indicate detonation...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict
    I think I'm gonna give it a go. Since I have to take the oil pan off anyway. I'm using a different style compressor. Looks kinda like a oil filter wrench.

turbo addict
    I honestly don't think I can drop the crank. It's connected to the flywheel. And that's inside the bell housing in which I would have to drop the trans to get to. So in turn it would be harder to drop the crank than to take the head off. The other side of the crank has a sprocket on it which is a pain in the dick to take off. So dropping the crank while it's in the car. No go. I'm gonna try to swap a piston and rod out from the bottom.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Can't be done AFAIK. Just gank the head, you can have it off in 45 mins if you know what you're doing
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict
    Yep. At the salvage now found a 89 lebaron 2.5. Nope. Can't be done lol

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Score 1 for experience lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can't do it, the main webs are in the way.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Score 1 for experience lol.
    Lol yep. I don't know wtf I was thinking. I got under there and looked and was like dam it!!! Then I rounded off an ac bracket bolt that connects to the head. So I couldn't pull the head. Stupid salvage car. 89 lebaron 2.5 t1 car. Digital dash. Drop top.

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    Lol yep. I don't know wtf I was thinking. I got under there and looked and was like dam it!!! Then I rounded off an ac bracket bolt that connects to the head. So I couldn't pull the head. Stupid salvage car. 89 lebaron 2.5 t1 car. Digital dash. Drop top.
    too much bongwater sure can cloud common sense. why are you JY chasing used pistons? I'm sure someoneon here's got piles of them cheaper than JY price and all your time.

turbo addict
    The junkyard was half off today. I'm just gonna buy some from someone on here. I could have pulled the entire engine for 100 bux today. I said screw it lol.