Thread: Homemade Cylinder pressure tester.

boostaholic

Homemade Cylinder pressure tester.

Whats up guys, well, today i made a cylinder head pressure tester...i am tired of paying almost 40 bucks to pressure test a head...and after having my TVL head pressure tested and finding out theres a crack somewhere i wanted to know where and if it possible to fix, the machine shop would of charged me more to see "Where" the leak is coming from....f- that....from just looking in the ports i couldn't see any cracks at all...well, i just purchased a used head from a guy and i did the port and polishing myself....well insted of having them pressure test another head, i just built my own pressure tester......plus i wanted to see where my TVL head was leaking from....well after a morning of contruction, i finally got my first version...lol...i put it on my TVL (as pictured) and found pin hole leaks inside number 2 and 3 exhaust ports. So yea, that confirms why i was filling my exhaust with antifreeze....now i can test my head i port and polished..awesome...Heres some pics.

Pic of problem area in exhaust ports. the black mark inside is where the pin holes are for both ports..

Pic of sealing plate.

- Tom

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Homemade Cylinder pressure tester.

very nice , what did you use for the head to plexi seal ?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice setup! Need to move to KC! ... and I'll let ya know if I need to borrow it

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

The black seal under there is a type of memory foam thats 1/8 thick..it worked great for sealing everything....the 4 holes are kind of useless as i found out...a solid peice would do better....other then that its just 1/2 thick polycarbonate plastic...its stronger then the acrlic....

also, does anyone know what the typical pressure of a turbo mopar is?..right now i am put about 20-30 psi....on raditor caps its 16?.....when a machine shop pressure tests it they say they put 3 times the amount of a regular cooling system...

And JT, anytime....btw, i am almost done with the spring compressors.....jsut picked my new head up from the machine shop after it just got decked....those valves are going in this week....hopefully the shelby is running by this monday... )
    Tom

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Simple and effective... I love it!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    The black seal under there is a type of memory foam thats 1/8 thick..it worked great for sealing everything....the 4 holes are kind of useless as i found out...a solid peice would do better....other then that its just 1/2 thick polycarbonate plastic...its stronger then the acrlic....

also, does anyone know what the typical pressure of a turbo mopar is?..right now i am put about 20-30 psi....on raditor caps its 16?.....when a machine shop pressure tests it they say they put 3 times the amount of a regular cooling system...

And JT, anytime....btw, i am almost done with the spring compressors.....jsut picked my new head up from the machine shop after it just got decked....those valves are going in this week....hopefully the shelby is running by this monday... )
    Tom
    IF the cap is functioning properly, you won't get more than 16 psi, but if it fails, you could see alot more, hard to say, but if your testing for 25 psi,l that's enough.

Butyl tape would work but messy.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    Tom
    Cool and cool

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.