Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird issues with my cal/ostrich-intermittant stalling then finally died?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Weird issues with my cal/ostrich-intermittant stalling then finally died?

Weird stuff just started happening, on the way to the track on Friday, felt like it was cutting out in boost, traced it to bad injectors or maybe not? Fast forward to Sat night, after driving on the freeway for 30 mins, hit my off ramp, unlocked the TC and it died, pulled over and everything under the hood is clicking????????? After unhooking the MAP, ASD, Ostrich and a few other items, and waiting 10 mins, it restarted. Sunday, it stalled 3 times, randomly but restarted immediatly. Tonight, it died in the same spot on the off ramp as Friday but this time, it wouldn't restart, clicking as before then it stopped and no SES light. Get it towed home, 3 hours later, still no SES light, so I do a ram check on the Ostrich, doesn't match, reload the cal again, she fires right up. So what is going on? Using Dcal to adjust my tune.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Weird issues with my cal/ostrich-intermittant stalling then finally died?

Are you keeping the Ostrich plugged into power (USB) when this happens?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Are you keeping the Ostrich plugged into power (USB) when this happens?
    No, I don't keep the laptop in the van when driving as I usually tweak it at home. I've been running it this way for years. Drove to work this morning, not a hitch, hic cup, nada. Guess we'll find out going home. Going to take a chip with me just in case. Was a mad rush as I had to pick up my kids etc, ack.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    No, I don't keep the laptop in the van when driving as I usually tweak it at home. I've been running it this way for years. Drove to work this morning, not a hitch, hic cup, nada. Guess we'll find out going home. Going to take a chip with me just in case. Was a mad rush as I had to pick up my kids etc, ack.
    That sounds like the problem the SBEC's have with the Ostrich...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Yeah, weird for sure, its never acted like this before, maybe the cal messed up for a silly reason. Guess I'll know tonight if she's fixed,

Edit, using your lastest cal btw.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Why the Hell are you still using d-cal?! Get with the times Simon!

Sounds like what was happening with the first .v12 cals before we worked out the bugs.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Why the Hell are you still using d-cal?! Get with the times Simon!

Sounds like what was happening with the first .v12 cals before we worked out the bugs.
    LOL, I like it, its simple and works easily enough. Why change a good thing?

Made a completely different cal and downloaded another 16.9 version as I found some odd info in the last cal and I put bigger injectors in, it died around the same spot? but not after unlocking the TC. I coasted over to the side of the road and it restarted, then it was fine the rest of the night, did some errands after picking up the kids. Could my computer be bad?

turbo addict

sounds like a loose/wet socket or pins. Do you use a ZIF or just a plain ol' machine pin?

Rob, an sbec will not die if the USB is unplugged while running, its only needed during startup. And even if it is unplugged, it still starts, just runs horridly rich.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    sounds like a loose/wet socket or pins. Do you use a ZIF or just a plain ol' machine pin?

Rob, an sbec will not die if the USB is unplugged while running, its only needed during startup. And even if it is unplugged, it still starts, just runs horridly rich.
    I think its a regular socket, it was done by TU something like 6 years ago. It hasn't been out in the rain for months, and the Ostrich is outside of the case, I use the ribbon and if I need to use a chip, I use a chip extender with a ZIF socket.

This just happened out of the blue, just Friday it started,

Sounds like a wiring/connection issue.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

dude i would honestly check your moates out completely,my buddy's 240 is runnin the moates and he had similar issues. id call craig moates and tell him and see what he says. my buddy had to send his back to craig for repairs. my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by moparmikehunt View Post
    dude i would honestly check your moates out completely,my buddy's 240 is runnin the moates and he had similar issues. id call craig moates and tell him and see what he says. my buddy had to send his back to craig for repairs. my 2 cents.
    Thanks, I've had problems with 2 of them, the original them the 2nd version, I have to send mine in, this is a friends, lol.

So far, so good, last night, no stalling.

Garrett booster

see not only did both of yours have problems but apparently even your friends has issues. turns out as awesome as $200 dollar stand alone engine management sounds, obviously it aint perfect. buut i know of tons of people that have and still are using the moates with no issues so idk man.

You do know that the Ostrich isn't really designed for continuous/daily use, right?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

You do know that the Ostrich isn't really designed for continuous/daily use, right?
    Says who?

Another night and it didn't stall, very weird.

Says the 3 Ostriches you've had problems with in doing so, apparently.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Says the 3 Ostriches you've had problems with in doing so, apparently.
    Apparently I am not the only one,

Even so, I still would keep getting them, they are so easy to use,

Its even funnier when your at the track, have the laptop on the front seat adjusting and people are, WTF is he doing? Then you explain it,

Simon, you're retarded Why are you always having to adjust it? Are you like constantly changing things?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Simon, you're retarded Why are you always having to adjust it? Are you like constantly changing things?
    Without going to the dyno, its hard to get it right until I hit the track, soo pftttttttttt,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast