Thread: Pt cruiser knuckles, brakes, and axles on Neon.

turbo addict

Pt cruiser knuckles, brakes, and axles on Neon.

I have almost all the parts I need to complete the PT cruiser knuckle swap.

Knuckles came from a 02 PT cruiser. I am pressing in SRT (03+) 39mm wide bearings and hubs.

Brakes are going to be PT 11" rotors with standard PT calipers.

Axles being use are a PT turbo Automatic intermediate shaft, SRT4 passenger side axle, and PT turbo automatic drivers side axle.

Pictures will come soon, as I machine the knuckles to fit on the Neon struts. I will feel much better with this setup. Equal length axles and a lot more stopping power.

turbo addict

Re: Pt cruiser knuckles, brakes, and axles on Neon.

Two things. Will your wheels fit over the brakes? Does the PT knuckle have a different tie rod end location than the SRT knuckle would?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    Two things. Will your wheels fit over the brakes? Does the PT knuckle have a different tie rod end location than the SRT knuckle would?
    Yes, the PT has a different location than the SRT knuckle. Knuckles came from a PT cruiser Non turbo manual car, which have the tie rod location in almost the exact spot as a first gen Neon. SRT's, and turbo cruisers are way off, which is why they have such a terrible turning radius.

I'm almost positive the brakes will fit because other have run this setup with 15" wheels. If they wont, I may have to invest in some trunk kit wheels. The reason the SRT calipers wont fit is because they use a thicker rotor so the caliper hits the inside of the wheel.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Yes, the PT has a different location than the SRT knuckle. Knuckles came from a PT cruiser Non turbo manual car, which have the tie rod location in almost the exact spot as a first gen Neon. SRT's, and turbo cruisers are way off, which is why they have such a terrible turning radius.

I'm almost positive the brakes will fit because other have run this setup with 15" wheels. If they wont, I may have to invest in some trunk kit wheels. The reason the SRT calipers wont fit is because they use a thicker rotor so the caliper hits the inside of the wheel.
    Ok I didn't realize that N/A PTs were different than SRT and Turbo PTs. Sounds like its just the rotor and caliper that's different though.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    Ok I didn't realize that N/A PTs were different than SRT and Turbo PTs. Sounds like its just the rotor and caliper that's different though.
    Yep, not really sure why the went through all the trouble of making different turning radius, different width bearings, and different axles to go along.

If I ever want to go to the thicker turbo rotor, I will just have to get the calipers since they bolt right on. I doubt I would need them though as the car weighs 400-500 lbs less than it should.

turbo addict

Got my Calipers/Bracket in today. Won them for 99 cents on ebay and they came from california so they are like new. Now I just need to order some brakes and makes sure my wheels will fit.

turbo addict

turbo addict

Finished machining the knuckles. Waiting on bearing/hubs now.

that's pretty cool. I'm in process of grafting k-car spindles onto a neon. everything fits up good but I need to do some axle shaft work. I'm doing this on a circle track Neon. the stock spindles are JUNK one touch and the break at the steering arm or strut mount. K-car spindles are twice at thick in these weak spots.

turbo addict

Yeah, everything on the 1st gen neon is pretty weak. I'm really surprised everything has held up including the stock axles.

The PT stuff is pretty heavy duty, and the SRT/PT turbo axles should take the power I put to the car.

PT knuckles maintain a solid thickness throughout the steering arm, and maintain almost the .970 thickness for the strut mounts. As you can see I barely had to cut into them other than the flange.

Some people use the k-type spindles because they are heavy duty and have the bolt on hubs as well.

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes, the PT has a different location than the SRT knuckle. Knuckles came from a PT cruiser Non turbo manual car, which have the tie rod location in almost the exact spot as a first gen Neon. SRT's, and turbo cruisers are way off, which is why they have such a terrible turning radiusl.

Radius Shmadius,,,If you AutoX, you should be concerned with Ackermann as well. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f163...16/index2.html

btw those knuckles appear to have the Tie rod hole in the exact same location as SRTs

Last edited by duster360; 10-13-2011 at 10:16 AM.

turbo addict

The 1st gen neon needs shorter Tie rods to be used with turbo knuckles. Not sure how that would screw with the suspension. The acr handles so well anyways. Im not too concernced making it a race worth AutoX car, just making sure it has a front end that will handle the power. I have put 2500 miles on it this summer and destroyed, the axles, and wheel bearings in the proess.
    Last edited by Mopar318; 10-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.

turbo addict

And the tie rod hole on the SRT/Turbo PT knuckles is further inside. It is just hard to tell from the picture angle.

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

And the tie rod hole on the SRT/Turbo PT knuckles is further inside. It is just hard to tell from the picture angle.
    No, the SRT is in exactly the same position like the ones you have. I have two SRT-4s in the driveway(2003,2004) and I'm quite certain of this, since I've checked them both.

The below widely distributed pic is wrong. The SRT-4' tie rod location is NOT as it is shown here. The picture DOES apply to some PT cruisers though.

In fact, I'm trying to fine a set like the one pictured below to test the addition of Ackermann, since its so much different than the REAL Srt-4 knuckle.

Maybe its just the angle in the pic, but it sure looks like this one below is the one you think you have
    Last edited by duster360; 10-17-2011 at 11:51 AM.

turbo addict

I agree that that dimensioned drawing is NOT a srt4 knuckle. I do think it is a later model PT turbo car though.

I know these came from a 02 Manual car, the and the parts systems say that these are only the same as Manual, non-turbo cars.

The systems also says that Turbo Pt cruisers, and SRT4's use the same knuckle. Must not be the case every time.

I went ahead and just bought a 20 ton press, So if the knuckles are wrong I will find something else and just re-machine and repress some bearings in. Its nice to have all of the tools.

turbo addict

Finally put the car up for the winter. Fully disassembled the front end. After comparing axle lengths, and knuckles, everything appears to be correct and should work. Knuckles have exact same geometry as 1st gen. PT brakes also fit behind the 15" snowflake neon wheels.

Konis will be getting sent out for a rebuild also.

turbo addict

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	525.4 KB 
ID:	35218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg 
Views:	1591 
Size:	499.5 KB 
ID:	35219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	35220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	496.1 KB 
ID:	35221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	483.3 KB 
ID:	35222

Notice the thickness difference and U-joint size vs the 1st gen axles. PT turbo and SRT4 stuff is much stronger.