Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 GNX turbo

Garrett booster

87 GNX turbo

Although I'm sure this has been asked before, I did a search and didn't find much.

Found a good deal on a rebuild 87 Grand National turbo. How would this turbo work on a 2.2 hybrid with a 2.4l head/forged pistons, with a 5 speed Rampage? Maybe 15 psi boost max. (300 flywheel hp) with the possibility of more in the future. Don't really want to go Holset, but I do want more turbo than a stocker T2 Garrett.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: 87 GNX turbo

I think its a 70 trim in a T3 housing, stage 1 wheel. Slasky comes to mind.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Won't work without machine work. Turbine housing flanges are unique. Turbine wheel itself is unique and won't fit the standard turbine housing without the housing machined.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken the actual GNX compressor wheels were a little larger than the GN wheels.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

88_pacifica in 3... 2... 1...
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 08-28-2011 at 01:39 PM.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

"Modifications included replacement of the stock turbocharger with a special Garrett “hybrid” unit that features a very lightweight ceramic impeller. The decreased impeller weight allows the turbocharger to spin up much faster, dramatically increasing performance while decreasing the turbo lag or “spool” time inherent in turbocharged engines. Maximum boost was set at 15 psi and the turbo also incorporated special dynamic turbine shaft seals in the center housing rotating assembly to reduce drag on the shaft. The turbine housing was redesigned to include a contamination trap to keep solid particles away from the turbine wheel and help prevent excessive turbocharger wear."

If its truly a gnx turbo with the ceramic wheel and cheap. Buy it and sell it to a GNX owner and just get a normal GN turbo if thats what you want.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I remember a few years ago real GNX turbos were fetching HUGE dollars.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

If it was really cheap, id buy it and machine a stock garrett turbine housing to fit it, and keep the GNX compressor cover if possible. The compressor should be able to make 400hp at the crank if desired, but i doubt you could flow that through a stock-style .48 housing. 300whp would not be a problem, though.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

I checked the ad and it didn't say anything about a ceramic impeller. It has been for sale for a long time, so it probably isn't a GNX. I didn't realize they were so special.

Anyway I came to my senses and realized since I need to fab up a bunch of stuff to make the hybrid, I need to keep the exhaust more generic, and not build it for a specific oddly flanged turbo that may not even live past 1000 miles (if the rebuild was crap). Keeping it based on a T2 Garrett is a better idea since I have 4-5 sitting on my shelf right now.

Anyway thanks for the comments.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    88_pacifica in 3... 2... 1...
    HA! I was sleeping at the wheel JT...

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    "Modifications included replacement of the stock turbocharger with a special Garrett “hybrid” unit that features a very lightweight ceramic impeller. The decreased impeller weight allows the turbocharger to spin up much faster, dramatically increasing performance while decreasing the turbo lag or “spool” time inherent in turbocharged engines. Maximum boost was set at 15 psi and the turbo also incorporated special dynamic turbine shaft seals in the center housing rotating assembly to reduce drag on the shaft. The turbine housing was redesigned to include a contamination trap to keep solid particles away from the turbine wheel and help prevent excessive turbocharger wear."

If its truly a gnx turbo with the ceramic wheel and cheap. Buy it and sell it to a GNX owner and just get a normal GN turbo if thats what you want.
    I assure you this is NOT a GNX turbo and if it were, it would be at least $1K BEFORE being rebuilt. A GN turbo can support up to 350 hp and on the ragged edge, 400 hp. My recommendation would depend on what you paid for the thing. If it is less than $200 REBUILT, then I would sell it on a GN site. Any more than that, you will only break even or probably lose $$ reselling it. I would probably sell it versus trying to make it work, but it all depends on your budget...

Do you have a link to the ad or what was/is done to it(what type of rebuild)?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

a 60 trim or s60 t3 comp wheel will get to your power goal. You could also use a GN wheel (s70). Or, for overkill, you could do a t4 compressor side.

Garrett booster

I think getting a hybrid from TU or FWD is money better spent.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    <P>I checked the ad and it didn't say anything about a ceramic impeller.&nbsp; It has been for sale for a long time, so it probably isn't a GNX.&nbsp; I didn't realize they were so special.<BR></P>
    <P>Anyway I came to my senses and realized&nbsp; since I need to fab up a bunch of stuff to make the hybrid,&nbsp;I need to keep the exhaust more generic, and not build it for a specific oddly flanged turbo that may not even live past 1000 miles (if the rebuild was crap).&nbsp; Keeping it based on a T2 Garrett is a better idea since I have 4-5 sitting on my shelf right now.<BR></P>
    <P>Anyway thanks for the comments.</P>
    Gotcha, I wasn't sure if this would be reconsidered later. By chance do you still have the link to the ad(for my own interest)?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

88 pacifica sent you a PM

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    88 pacifica sent you a PM
    Got it...

Thanks for the info. I am an addict for these cars.

I think getting a hybrid from TU or FWD is money better spent.
    Depends on your power goals. If you are ACTUALLY only shooting for 300chp, anything much bigger than an s60/stg1/.48 combo is just adding lag, not performance.

A hybrid turbo will certainly work, but a lot of them would would be major overkill for your mild power goal and you'll have the lag to show for it. Even the smallest to4e wheel has a 76mm outer diameter vs the s60's 60mm. That larger exducer diameter is going to take longer to rev up, and that's not to mention the increase in lag from the stg2 turbine or .63 housing you might buy on a hybrid.

There some to4b wheels with a 69.XXmm exducer diameter, but at that point you are basically looking at something very similar to an S70/GN wheel anyway.
    Last edited by Vigo; 08-29-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    Got it...

Thanks for the info. I am an addict for these cars.
    I thought about putting a post in yesterday and give it the 'In before Nate' title but that seemed silly and juvenile. I guess that does kinda describe me

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Depends on your power goals. If you are ACTUALLY only shooting for 300chp, anything much bigger than an s60/stg1/.48 combo is just adding lag, not performance.

A hybrid turbo will certainly work, but a lot of them would would be major overkill for your mild power goal and you'll have the lag to show for it. Even the smallest to4e wheel has a 76mm outer diameter vs the s60's 60mm. That larger exducer diameter is going to take longer to rev up, and that's not to mention the increase in lag from the stg2 turbine or .63 housing you might buy on a hybrid.

There some to4b wheels with a 69.XXmm exducer diameter, but at that point you are basically looking at something very similar to an S70/GN wheel anyway.
    Thanks for the wisdom.

I haven't really spent much time really understanding turbo lingo, so most times when I read anything in this section it was greek.

At this point, the engine is literally a few years away yet, but I really am trying to nail down what I want and start collecting parts.

My goals have changed considerably, with only a few years ago when I got the Rampage, a stocker T1 log intake was all I wanted. That went to stock T2, and about a year ago I decided to just bite it and go hybrid.

I would love a turbo that may be a bit big so I can expand a bit, but I really don't see ever going past 300-350 at the wheels.

I need to get myself schooled keep my eyes open. All your expertise will come in handy.

If you are EVER shooting for 350whp I would just bite the bullet upfront and buy something like a 50trim or s50/stg2/.63 hybrid from one of the vendors. It will be laggier than the smaller turbos you could run to make 300chp (~270-280whp), but if you are buying new you would end up buying twice to get to 350whp unless you just bought the bigger one first.

I dont know much about spool rpm but im guessing an s50/stg2/.63 on a 2.2 wouldnt spool until 3500-4000 rpm.. there are lots of people who have run them, so hopefully someone will chime in on that.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I thought about putting a post in yesterday and give it the 'In before Nate' title but that seemed silly and juvenile. I guess that does kinda describe me
    Yeah... I feel the same way when I see a Masi thread start running. Maybe I SHOULD be juvenile and use the 'In before Alan', but man I just don't hawk this site like I used to. It seems to come and go in waves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast