Thread: A413 replament...

A413 replament...

I have an 86 daytona turbo z CS with the auto a413.

I had plans for it, but the tranny broke and now i am going to sell it.

The possible buyer would like me to fix the tranny, and he will just pay me (he lives in condos and cant work on the car, blah blah blah)

So, how 'hard' is it to just swap in another used a413? Considering i have never did anything with an auto before. How many days would i be looking at. i would have a buddy who graduated from wyo-tech help me out, but he doesnt know these cars at all, hes a grand national guy. Just trying to figure out if i wanna do this or sell it as is.

Oh, and any "How To" there might be on this would help,

thanks
    kris

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Re: A413 replament...

Kris, it's sooo easy.

Remove the front tires, disconnect the lower control arms from the hub assy., remove the axles, plug the axles with some rags or towels, you'll need a pan to catch the fluid in, there's a lot, disconnect the neutral safety switch and disconnect the entire wiring harness that only goes to the starter (from the negative side of the battery), remove starter, unplug trans. lines if applicable, cork them with some lare bolts, support the motor with a jack and a block of wood, support the trans with whatever you're pulling it with -trans jack, or engine hoist, unbolt the inspection plate, unbolt the torque converter, remove the trans. mount (13mm), unbolt the bolts from the ears, then work to the 2 top bolts (all are 15mm), comes right out.

Don't move the torque converter. Instead, spray paint the lowest bolt hole so when you install it you know which end goes furthest down. TC goes in only one way! This way the lowest portion of the TC is open for you to see once the inspection plate is out and you can easily bolt the flywheel right to it.

Reinstall and check and see how much fluid is in the pans, ehhh guestimate how much fluid lost and install that much. It wont hurt it if you underfill or overfill a LITTLE. Don't over/underfill by 1 or 2 quarts. 1 quart might not hurt it, but if you see bubbles on the stick after operation you know it's overfilled.

While it's out install that drain plug that Simon (turbovanman) recommends.

-Bryan

thanks alot

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Another tidbit, I would drain the trans before you remove it, drop the pan and then bolt it back up.
    Only 86 and older transmission will work, 87 needs larger axles.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

ok cool, so i need an a413 from 86 or before, thanks alot for that.

kris