Thread: Oil leak, missing bolts, overboost

Mitsu booster

Oil leak, missing bolts, overboost

I have a 1988 daytona shelby Z i just bought. owner rebuilt the motor and only put 3k miles on it. I was taking it for a drive getting used to the manual and it overboosted on me, I have yet to check the boost controller but all the vacuum lines are good. I got back from this test drive and popped the hood and noticed smoke coming from the pulley side near the exhuast manifolds and noticed a small puddle of oil. Then i noticed two bolts missing on the two corners of the valve cover closest to the pulley. Asked the previous owner an he said he lost the bolts so he just siliconed that area down. I'm not sure exactly where the oil leak is coming from but it kind of looks like the top of the oil pan. So it seems like i need to check the boost controller but idk how to do that. Also drop the oil pan and reseal it. Same with the valve cover take it off and reseal it an get the proper bolts and properly and evenly tightened down the valve cover. I guess i'm asking if that is the right route to take lol.

Re: Oil leak, missing bolts, overboost

The thing about oils leaks is that there hard to track down, it may look like pan is leaking but it could be running down from somewhere, prolly the valve cover gasket that you say is leaking. If he siliconed it properly it would be leaking even with two bolts missing, I have hell of a time removing my cover once its been siliconed aka glued on....If it over boosted check and recheck those lines. The boost controller is the computer, and its doing its job, somethin aint right.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Oil leak, missing bolts, overboost

You need to get together with the SDAC crew in your area. They are a great bunch of guys.

WNY SDAC - Western New York SDAC serving Rochester, Syracuse, surrounding areas, and all of western New York state. Contact Sean Campbell at 585-957-3542 or email at Sean Campbell .

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

You need to get together with the SDAC crew in your area. They are a great bunch of guys.

WNY SDAC - Western New York SDAC serving Rochester, Syracuse, surrounding areas, and all of western New York state. Contact Sean Campbell at five85 957 three542 or email at Sean Campbell .