Thread: can 300 hp be safe for stock TIII rod bolts?

turbo addict

can 300 hp be safe for stock TIII rod bolts?

i was planning on replacing the rod bolts with arp hardware, but my car is down now and needs to get back on the road NOW! the motor just got dropped off at the machine shop, but im worried if the bolts are going to be able to hang with my goals. im building an e-85 high(er) compression 8v motor with a 93 tbi common block (43k miles) and cast crank, stock TIII pistons, rods and bolts, with a mildly ported g-head for now (maybe heavily ported swirl down the road). im also finishing up a custom upper plenum for a 2 piece intake (lower is mildly ported), ported log exhaust, and a s60 turbo with .48 exhaust.

basically im shooting for 300 hp, its going to be my daily driver plus some scca racing on the weekends when it comes around. i might take it to the 1/8th drag also, but im not planning on running slicks or going for any crazy times, just wanna see what it can do.

it seams like 300hp is debatable for power on stock rod bolts, im also having the rods resized, i just would hate to have a failure on my dd, but it needs to get done now. I dont know if il have time to get bolts, if il make it to 300, or if il need them, what do you guys think?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: can 300 hp be safe for stock TIII rod bolts?

If your having the rods resized, replace the rod bolts. I think using the stockers is a recipe for disaster, especially if auto crossing.

I guarantee you can find bolts now, just go to any speed shop and get some bolts for a 318/340/360, then sell the other 8 on here.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

I dont have experience with that hp level on my T3 yet, but I was told when I was building my T3 that the stock rod bolts are very strong and should be up to the task. Although i should probably admit that I installed some arp rod bolts anyways...

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

I have been well north of 450 hp on stock rods/bolts with no issues.

However, if it's apart and at the machine shop, why wouldn't you change them? Those bolts are readily available as simon pointed out.

Mitsu booster

Smile Re: can 300 hp be safe for stock TIII rod bolts?

I ran the dyno for "The Green Machine" when it still had the untouched factory engine with 140K miles on it. It put down 450 WHP...I think you'll be OK. lol

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92 R/T View Post
    I ran the dyno for "The Green Machine" when it still had the untouched factory engine with 140K miles on it. It put down 450 WHP...I think you'll be OK. lol
    I was just going to mention that. BUT...... Simon pointed out that he wants to autocross the car. Big difference between WOT high hp blasts and a bazillion on-offs which kill a rod at high rpms.

FWIW: the stock T-III motors supposedly came from the factory with arps, but the one I took apart didn't look like arps to me. (this one was dicked with anyways, and my other "apart" T-III is just a shortblock right now)

Get arps and have them re-sized..
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    I was just going to mention that. BUT...... Simon pointed out that he wants to autocross the car. Big difference between WOT high hp blasts and a bazillion on-offs which kill a rod at high rpms.

FWIW: the stock T-III motors supposedly came from the factory with arps, but the one I took apart didn't look like arps to me. (this one was dicked with anyways, and my other "apart" T-III is just a shortblock right now)

Get arps and have them re-sized..
    We know they got different bolts than CB's and TII's, so it could be true.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

thanks for the super quick replys eveyone, il see if i can locate bolts locally, my prob is this is for my daily driver thats down right now. its been down at the shop i work at for the past two weeks, ive pulled three other engines apart that i was going to use, and all three werent what i was expecting, so i had to use this last block/rod combo so i can get this done real soon. i dont think he has started yet, so il give him a call...

OK, I re-read your original post (I initially skimmed through it the 1st time)

I see you are building an 8v motor, not a T-III, and a daily driver with occasional track time. You can get away with stock bolts... but I'd still get arps. Even though Pat and Jackson pushed the envelope on stock rods/bolts, the bolts in your T-III rods are also 20 years old and who knows it history?

Some shops *might* have quick access to a set of the small block ARP bolts from them already being on their shelf. Our shop doesn't stock too much, as inventory can add up to a few 100K real easily. That's where Keystone comes in. Our shop orders before 5pm online at Keystone (you must have a legit business account to do so) and we have it in our hands then next day by lunchtime. Keystone has their own warehouses and trucking. So, see if your shop or someone they know has Keystone, or something similar.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

sweet, and there is a few speed shops around my area (so cal/san diego) that might have something or could order it, so one last thing, how bout a source for stock tIII piston rings?

(and i basically drive around all day like its a road coarse, its why i have a baffled trap door oil pan ready to go )
    Last edited by OmniLuvr; 08-17-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    sweet, and there is a few speed shops around my area (so cal/san diego) that might have something or could order it, so one last thing, how bout a source for stock tIII piston rings?

(and i basically drive around all day like its a road coarse, its why i have a baffled trap door oil pan ready to go )
    I have a new set (T-III rings) in std bore that I'm not using. I bought a rebuilt T-III motor last summer, but when i took it apart for inspection it needed oversized pistons. So, I cleaned and boxed up the rings. I could put them in a USPS flat rate box and you'd have them 2-3 days if interested?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post

Steve or FWD.

If your in socal, what about Summit and Jeg's, there local aren't they-too lazy to look in Google, or google ARP rod bolts in Ca, I bet you can have them tomorrow.

turbo addict

i didnt think either summit or jegs are local? and i am in SO SO CAL (like 20 min from tj), and im pretty retarded for not checking the vendors...