Thread: 1999 Dodge Durango Misfire

Hybrid View

Mitsu booster

1999 Dodge Durango Misfire

Hello all,

i have a 1999 dodge durango with the 5.2 i believe it is and it has developed a misfire. it is throwing a code that it is cylinder #4. it is getting spark and the plug isnt fowled or anything so i was just wondering what to check next and how to go about fixing it. speedy responses would be very much appreciated because my sister is taking this car to school in a few days and i need to have this fixed to get emissions tested. if you need more info i can try my best to fill you in more, but any input would be awesome! thank you so much!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 1999 Dodge Durango Misfire

Check for vacuum leaks, make sure that injector is working, make sure that injector is getting a signal, do a compression test, do a leak down test.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Make sure the plug wire is on tight at the dist cap. Swap a plug wire with another cylinder and see if the code moves. Do a compression test. Ohm out the injector on that cylinder. Put a noid light on the injector connector and wiggle all the wiring that's anywhere near it to see if the signal drops out. Check the condition of the terminals in the distributor cap.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Tune ups usually get ignored on these things since its such a pain to do, Ive fixed so many magnum V8's running bad with just a tune up that its pretty much the first thing I do.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

^ +1. Tune up first.

These things are known for vac leaks underneath the intake manifold causing a misfire. There's a black 'plate' that bolts to the intake manifold underneath it. PITA to do.

I'd throw plugs in it, make sure the wires/cap/rotor are good, and drive it around very easy on the gas and hope the computer monitors will set so you can get an inspection sticker on it.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Easy way to check for the plate leak: Unplug the pcv line and the hose going to the breather on the other valve cover. Hold your fingers over both while the engine is running and see if the crankcase develops a vacuum.

Generally you get super ---- mileage and oil loss from that leak as well.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Easy way to check for the plate leak: Unplug the pcv line and the hose going to the breather on the other valve cover. Hold your fingers over both while the engine is running and see if the crankcase develops a vacuum.

Generally you get super ---- mileage and oil loss from that leak as well.
    I was told to open the throttle butterfly and look to see if the plate beneath it is oily. I think your idea is a lot better!
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

turbo addict

They are also known for a misfire due to rings/valve seals. I know you said it wasnt fouled but its pretty common. Youd likely notice it though. For some reason most ive seen were cyl #7? lol

Also check the wires, they can easily hit the exhaust manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    They are also known for a misfire due to rings/valve seals. I know you said it wasnt fouled but its pretty common. Youd likely notice it though. For some reason most ive seen were cyl #7? lol

Also check the wires, they can easily hit the exhaust manifold.
    Speaking of, I have a 5.9L that likes to throw codes P0300, P0301, P0303, and P0307 quite frequently. Are valve seals pretty common? I replaced the passenger side head with a spare when I got the engine as the original head had a spark plug stuck in it. I'm wondering if I should replace the driver side head as well.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodaytona87 View Post
    Speaking of, I have a 5.9L that likes to throw codes P0300, P0301, P0303, and P0307 quite frequently. Are valve seals pretty common? I replaced the passenger side head with a spare when I got the engine as the original head had a spark plug stuck in it. I'm wondering if I should replace the driver side head as well.
    Well 1, 3 and 7 aren't all on the same side, but the stock heads do like to crack. Diagnose it before taking it apart, we've given you idea's on what to check.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Well 1, 3 and 7 aren't all on the same side, but the stock heads do like to crack. Diagnose it before taking it apart, we've given you idea's on what to check.
    WAT?

I've got an M1, no leaky plenum there. Injectors have been swapped around, no change on cylinder misfire. Plugs are new, wires are new. Tried swapping coils. Tried replacing MAP and TPS. Fuel pressure tests good. Vacuum is decent (18-19")
    Last edited by turbodaytona87; 08-19-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodaytona87 View Post
    WAT?

I've got an M1, no leaky plenum there. Injectors have been swapped around, no change on cylinder misfire. Plugs are new, wires are new. Tried swapping coils. Tried replacing MAP and TPS. Fuel pressure tests good. Vacuum is decent (18-19")
    Hahahha, oops, my bad.

So yeah, it sounds like a head problem. We had a customer with one bank random misfires, removed his heads and that side was cracked, valve grind on one head, replaced the other, fixed.

Yeh, i have a high miles magnum 3.9 (basically same motor) that gets misfire codes with none of the things i mentioned wrong with it. I forgot about that. Once the check engine light has been on for 2 or 3 yrs you kinda forget which codes it has!

Hybrid booster

1,3,5 and 7 are on the same side, 2,4,6 and 8 are on the other side as well, just like a chevy engine, it's fords that run in order; 1,2,3,4 on 1 side and 5,6,7,8 on the other.

I know, I was just surprised to her him say that.

boostaholic

I'd still get a can of carb cleaner and check for vac leaks.

turbo addict

LOL yeah definitely all on same side. Sounds to me like a vac leak is more likely. Being that its 3 cylinders.