Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRT 4 swap no spark

Garrett booster

SRT 4 swap no spark

So I hit the key today and cranked, and cranked, and cranked.... I have no spark at the coil. No signal to the coil wires at all. Car is an 88 shelby z with a 90 TIV wiring harness, and a pt cruiser turbo motor with SRT 4 manifold. I'm hoping the cal I got wasn't for the 91+ style of coil, but other than that, I have no clue where to start. Please help!

turbo addict
    Wow. What a swap lol. Ok so are you using an srt coil or what? Or using a distributor from a 2.2/2.5 and just hybridizing it? Little more info. If using the srt stuff I think those have a crank and cam sensor. That would cause it. If using a distribution system I'd check the hep.

Garrett booster

Re: SRT 4 swap no spark

distributor and coil from a 90 vnt, and hep was new

turbo addict

Is it a "hybrid" with the stock distributor location or is the distributor mounted to the cam? If so the distributor needs to be modified for reverse rotation and the hep flipped 180 degrees or you won't get correct spark.

Garrett booster

The distributor is running off of the cam... so I need to 180 the hep? Is there something I missed somewhere regarding running the distributor off of the cam? My HEP is plugged in like it was stock, I have and rbryant distributor... If I can't get this thing to breathe life, It's going to the junk yard!
    Last edited by stitus; 08-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Garrett booster

Can anybody help?? I swapped the grey and black connectors and 180'd the HEP, and still no sparky! Do I need to do anything else?
    Last edited by stitus; 08-16-2011 at 09:13 PM.

turbo addict

You have to modify the stutter wheel inside the distributor.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...tor-Any-issues

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

NVM you have the modified dist. from Rbryant? Then physically rotate the hep 180. That thread I linked talks about what to do.

Garrett booster

I did rotate the hep....

turbo addict

tried it with the connectors both stock and reversed? Is the hep known to be good? Could the timing just be way off?

Garrett booster

I tried it both ways with the connectors. HEP came from a running car, however I know the timing is off a bit, but I've tried rotating it all the way around. When I hold a tester to the coil connections, the light flashes once on both terminals at the same time the IAS motor is cycling, but there is no light when cranking. How well does the motor have to be grounded?

turbo addict

how many grounds do you have? The coil needs to have 12v. if the coil has 12v then it should produce a spark if your distibutor is working correctly, reguardless of timing.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

With a test light you need to check, like forcefedmopar said, for 12 volts at one terminal at the coil. Then take your test light, put the clamp on the positive terminal on the battery, and check to see if the other terminal flashes the test light while cranking. If both those things happen then your coil is bad. If they're not it's further up the line.

A.J.

turbo addict
    I don't think you can get the black and grey connectors backwards. They have different little plastic things on the inside to prevent this.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    I don't think you can get the black and grey connectors backwards. They have different little plastic things on the inside to prevent this.
    Rich Bryant who build the distributors can explain it better, but you're suppose to reverse the connectors when it runs off the cam. You have to modify the connectors to make it work.

A.J.

Garrett booster

Coil is good, there are 2 grounds on the motor, ASD Relay is good as far as I can tell, but no power to the green/blk wire coming out, but there is power to the others. I have power to the orange and blue wires in the HEP connector as well. What could I be missing?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Is your fuel pump working? If so, that means your ASD relay is working and barring a wiring issue, that means you should be getting 12 volts to the coil. If you jump the coil +, does the fuel pump turn on? If not, you have a wiring issue.

Just to clarify on the dizzy, you bought a modded unit from Rbryant? You need to reverse the firing order on the cap, swap positions 2 and 3.

I broke off the tabs inside the hep plugs so I can use any hep I want, plus I ground off the little locating nib.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I broke off the tabs in the hep plug, jumped the + on the coil and the fuel pump ran. I can't really tell if the pump turns on normally as the stupid IAS motor buzzes when I turn the key, and there is also a very high pitch noise coming from the computer itself, kind of like the sounds you hear when you take a hearing test. I do have the modded dizzy, though until your post I couldn't determine which 2 wires I needed to switch for sure, though I should still have power to the coil regardless. Cap is modded also to fit the rotated HEP. I've basically narrowed it down to 3 possibilities... The cal is wrong, the HEP magically went bad sitting on a shelf, coming from a running vehicle, or the coil/injector driver circuit somehow went bad from the time I pulled it from a running vehicle, sent it in to be chipped, and got it back. Then again, there may be something behind curtain #4...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Do you have a chipped computer? The buzzing computer and IAC to me means you've missed some computer/engine grounds or the cal/computer is bad.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I sent it to Shelgame last year to chip it and he burned me two cals. The computer came out of my daily driver along with everything else. Are there any grounds inside the car? If so, I don't have all of the harness to the tail lights hooked up yet, and I also don't have the headlights or other connections in front of the radiator hooked up yet either. Everything under the dash and on the firewall is hooked up though. The IAC just buzzes once real fast when you first turn the key forward in sync with the clicking of the ASD relay to start the pump.

Garrett booster

Ok, the HEP is good, the coil is good, the grounds are good. The signal wires are switched for the HEP, the HEP is turned 180* and notch cut in the distributor. If I jump the coil, the fuel pump turns on. I have the modded dizzy with position #2 and #3 swapped. Hmmm... anyone need an SRT motor with 70k on it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast