Thread: Replacing vacuum and other rubber lines...

Garrett booster

Replacing vacuum and other rubber lines...

I noticed a few of the lines have deteriated especially going to the bov. I was going to go ahead and buy some lengths of hose to replace all that as needed. Any idea on sizes I'll need and how much I should buy. Most importantly it looks like the large and small hoses going to and from the bov and air box are pretty cruddy. I'm out and about right now, any idea on sizes for the important vacuum lines abd what not that I'll need.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Replacing vacuum and other rubber lines...

Just about anything will work, but some of those hoses are going to have been of a molded design, so unless you get a direct replacement from the dealer, they'll fight you a bit...

As for sizes, it depends on what you are going to do, if you are replacing the plastic hoses with more plastic, you'll have to order it from McMaster Carr or some other industrial supply house (they are metric by the way).

If you go with a vacuum block, that will give you 1/8NPT ports into which you can install anything you like, from a compression fitting for hard lines/plastic lines, to a hose barb fitting to which rubber hose could be connected.

In general, bigger won't hurt, but smaller might, so go big so long as the ends will seal reliably.

Hope this helps! I'm sure some others can chime in with more specific advise...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Well the main hose that needs replacement for sure looks like the hose going to the stock airbox. It's falling apart. The rest appear ok so far but im sure if there's one, there's more.

Garrett booster

You are better off if replacing any vacuum lines under the hood to use fuel hose instead of vacuum hose. I had vacuum hose going to the MAP sensor and because of it's location it was exposed to petroleum vapors or liquid and it got soft and swelled up. I replaced it with fuel hose. Not high pressure fuel injection hose at $5/foot just ordinary fuel hose at $1 foot.

Garrett booster

Should I go and get a variety of sizes? What are the most common sizes?

boostaholic

I've been seeing more push connect fittings with the hard plastic lines
    http://www.cdrperformance.biz/push-to-connect.html
    no collapsing with them but I have no experience with it, all of our CNC machines at work use them and no issues.