Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: '89 Daytona C/S NHRA Stocker

Re: '89 Daytona C/S NHRA Stocker

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Not sure if he has any pics of it up here. I don't think he's currently running it (he plated the motor with his current setup). Here are the pics of it that I have...

Attachment 36983Attachment 36982Attachment 36984

As the engine rocks back under torque, it pushes the swaybar (and therefore the wheels) down to the ground...
    huh, for some reason always remembered that as being a Joe O'Connor thing. Both cars are maroon first gens though so prob an easy mistake

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Worked on the car a little last night. Got the rear seat pulled, took out all the sound deadening from the rear quarters, started to take the rear seatbelts out, but ran out of oomph. They must be rusty or something, the bolts are a bear to turn.

Started to mock-up the doubler plates for the roll cage. I have a real good feel now for how it will go in. The CE kit came with a couple of bent bars, I think I'm going to use those for the door bars (even though I think they were meant for the rear braces). The bend is in just about the perfect spot to clear the seat and my elbow. I'll post some pics up tonight of the hatch area and the doubler plate locations...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool... would like to see pics!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Pics of the doubler plate placement. Looks almost like Chrysler meant for them to go there...

And here's the rest of the kit...

Racing harness came today, too. Along with a belt for my electric water pump. I mocked up the bracket for that tonight. I'll post pics of it when I get it cut in alluminum and mocked up on my spare WP+housing.
    Last edited by ShelGame; 07-28-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

nice!

You're right, the 6x6 plates look at home there! And the bent bars look similar to the custom ones I had made
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5270022.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	37064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6240045.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	37065  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

One of the things on my list this winter is to add an electric water pump. If I'm going to go rounds like I hope, I'll need to be able to cool the car down quickly. The few times I have gone round robbin, the car REALLY slows down as it gets hot. An electric water pump is a must. I missed out on the CSR group buy a couple years ago (when I thought I'd never need one) so I'm going to use the Moroso style electric motor driving the stock pump. Earlier this week I broke out one of my spare CB water pump assemblies and mocked up a bracket for it. I copied my measurements over to SolidWorks and printed out a tempalte to confirm. Here's what it will look like:

I even put up a thread here if you're interested in a copy of this bracket...
    Last edited by ShelGame; 07-28-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

How are you going to tension the belt? Or is there a slot on one side? hard to see in the pic. And I was lazy and didn't look at the link lol.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    How are you going to tension the belt? Or is there a slot on one side? hard to see in the pic. And I was lazy and didn't look at the link lol.
    There's a slot on the oil pan facing side of the bracket. You can see it in the first pic.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Rob, you do know you can still get the CSR pump, right? I know the Moroso is a LOT less expensive, but I just wanted to let people know that option is still available, and I'm going to try to go that route myself.

Oh yeah, it's righ there on the Chrysler front page. I assumed when the direct link in the group buy thread died that the pump wasn't available. Actaully, they don't stock it right? You have to order it and if they get enough they make a batch? Wasn't that the reason for the group buy in the first place?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

turbo addict

Maybe that's it. I can't remember, but I do know they'll still make them. Honestly, the motor they use is the same one across their line. If you have CAD skills and access to CNC, you could make the impeller yourself and adapt the motor to a housing! You can buy their motor separately from the pump.

Anyway, that's a lot of work considering you've already got this other one basically on! LOL

Yeah, I'll probably keep the Moroso stuff - I already have it all except for the bracket. I'll keep the CSR in mind for the future...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Water pump pulley ratio - the stock plastic WP pulley is 32 teeth, and the motor pulley is 12 for a 2.7:1 ratio.

I was thinking I could easily go to a 16 tooth motor pulley to give a 2:1 ratio. From what I've read, the motor only turns 1500 rpm - which seems really slow. That would give the pump speed at less than 600 rpm. Which is even less than idle for the stock pump drive which is slightly over driven. Maybe the ad was wrong and meant the pump turns at 1500 rpm. Even so, 1500 rpm still seems a bit slow. It's only slightly faster than the idle rpm for the pump. With a 2:1 ratio instead, that would go up to 2k rpm. So, I think I'm going to run a 16T pulley on the motor...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Cut the main hoop to fit this morning. Looks really good I think. With the drivers seat in my position, the crossbar will be ~2" behind the seatback.

Last edited by ShelGame; 07-28-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Oh yeah, in taking the seatbelts out, I found 35lbs of ballast in the RH kick panel (between the door and fender, under the speaker cover) that I had apparently forgot about. Instant weight savings!
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Actually, it was 38lbs of ballast. And the reas seat weighs 40lb. All 4 seatbelts weigh about 5 lbs (I though they would be more). Though, I'm adding a racing harness, so that is proabbly a wash.

The main hoop weighs 20lbs. I figure the bracing on each side will about equal that for a total of about 60lbs; plus 10 for the crossbar and probably 15 or so for the crosbraces (if I put them in); 5 for the base plates; for 90lb total for the 6-pt cage.

Without touching the wiring or heater box, I'm only about 10lbs up all told.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Lookin good!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

First off, Its looking very good Rob! Isnt it nice that Dodge made 6x6" flat floor pan areas just perfect for main hoop mounting plates in the G bodies. Somebody was thinking ahead

About the CSR water pumps. They only fit the later style pump housings. They are good quality, but they have one design flaw. The billet impeller pitch is BACKWARDS!, Yup if you compare them to the factory impeller the pitch is opposite, and even though you can reverse the rotation of the DC motor it will then pump water in a reverse direction through the rad. and engine. not good! Unless you are setup for reverse flow, which creates other problems.
    The problem is, while they do pump coolant, the impeller flow is fighting the scroll direction of the pump housing. I do see micro bubbles in my cooling system, and I think it is from the impeller shearing the coolant in the housing.
    Also the CSR billet impeller does NOT fit the stock housing very well at all. The factory impeller and housing has an angled profile, but the CSR impeller is flat across so there is a mismatch.
    I called CSR thinking I got a fluke (wrong impeller) but they just gave me the Hollywood type brush-off, said they havent made them pumps for 15 years.

Before I installed it, I rigged up a test to see how well it would pump. To my surprise It moved alot of cooland even with the bass ackward impeller, so I'm running it that way. If they had the right pitch They would be FAR more efficient.
    I wish I could see someone elses CSR pump impeller. Maybe I got the only one that is backwards?
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    First off, Its looking very good Rob! Isnt it nice that Dodge made 6x6" flat floor pan areas just perfect for main hoop mounting plates in the G bodies. Somebody was thinking ahead

About the CSR water pumps. They only fit the later style pump housings. They are good quality, but they have one design flaw. The billet impeller pitch is BACKWARDS!, Yup if you compare them to the factory impeller the pitch is opposite, and even though you can reverse the rotation of the DC motor it will then pump water in a reverse direction through the rad. and engine. not good! Unless you are setup for reverse flow, which creates other problems.
    The problem is, while they do pump coolant, the impeller flow is fighting the scroll direction of the pump housing. I do see micro bubbles in my cooling system, and I think it is from the impeller shearing the coolant in the housing.
    Also the CSR billet impeller does NOT fit the stock housing very well at all. The factory impeller and housing has an angled profile, but the CSR impeller is flat across so there is a mismatch.
    I called CSR thinking I got a fluke (wrong impeller) but they just gave me the Hollywood type brush-off, said they havent made them pumps for 15 years.

Before I installed it, I rigged up a test to see how well it would pump. To my surprise It moved alot of cooland even with the bass ackward impeller, so I'm running it that way. If they had the right pitch They would be FAR more efficient.
    I wish I could see someone elses CSR pump impeller. Maybe I got the only one that is backwards?
    Well, then that cements me using the Moroso-style pump. I actually had thought about doing it Angeleo's way with a T-Stat housing on the block and ditching the stock WP housing entirely in favor of a 'universal' style Mezeire or CSR pump. I thought 20GPM would be plenty. But, even the 20gpm pumps are pricey. I think the Moroso setup will be fine once I get the pump turning at 2k rpm...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast