Thread: Remote starter switch hook up on minivan

Garrett booster

Remote starter switch hook up on minivan

I'm going to run a compression test and for ease, I bought a remote starter switch. This may be dumb, but where do you hook it up? It says the starter relay, but it's not like it shows in the pics. Anyone use one?

turbo addict

Re: Remote starter switch hook up on minivan

not that i own one or am any kinda mechanic, but i would assume it would attach to the solenoid, witch is on the side of the starter moter itself.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

Technically you're supposed to put it between the two big posts on the starter solenoid (essentially bypassing the starter trigger wire from the ignition switch). However, this is a pain in the --- to do on these cars (easy on older Fords with the starter solenoid mounted on the fender).

But, you could find the bundle of wires that go to the starter, and tap into the smaller one (that's the trigger wire). Hooking the other wire from the remote switch up to the battery positive terminal you're bypassing the ignition switch.

But, it's far easier to just pull a plug, install the compression gauge, and bump the starter with the window down.

You're "supposed" to keep the throttle plate open while you do this, but I don't. If you want to do it from under the hood you could always coat-hanger it open.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Garrett booster

Can I just hook it on under the car? Seems like it would be easy enough, but who knows. I could just grab a friend and have them crank the motor while I check the other stuff. It sounds like it's running ok, but I have to find out for my own knowledge. If it needs a rebuild, I wanna know now and not after I have the car put back together I just got it a week ago and it needs a little fender bender repaired, so I'm working on that. Already pulled the a/c tonight because it didn't work and I have to remove parts to pull the front radiator support back out (hopefully...) If I need to pull the motor, I'll do it and attempt rebuilt, but if it checks out good, then I'll move on to the next part. Run it until it blows up, and then rebuild it. haha

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

No, it is not easy to get to those terminals with the starter installed, so you need to be hooking in from the top.

There are two wires going to the starter. The big red one, and the smaller brown one. There may also be other wires in the loom that go to your speed sensor but the brown one is the solenoid wire. You can either puncture it and jump power into it, or follow it back to the relay connector, unplug the connector, and put power into the terminal there.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

At the relay, it should be the red and brown you are attaching together. Yellow is the signal from the ignition switch and black is ground.

I actually built my own remote starter a couple weeks ago by bending up the pin that would connect to the yellow and connecting it to a button that was connected to the positive terminal on the battery.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Garrett booster

So the best way is to grab a buddy and crank with the throttle open while I watch the gauge?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

You can hold the throttle open by hand in the engine bay if you want to. But if you have a helper you wont have to mess with this switch business at all.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Bingo....sounds good. That will be the route I take. Now to just somehow lure my wife into the garage and convince her to turn it over a bunch of times so I can check compression on the project she hates. haha. This ought to go over real well.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Um... most compression gauges hold the reading. Hook it up, hop in and press the throttle while turning the engine over 3 times, hop out and read the gauge. If you're trying to do this all with a regular pressure guage of some sort, use the money from the starter switch and bribing friends to rent or buy a compression gauge.

Garrett booster

Oh I splurged and bought a compression gauge. A whole $20 I think. Seems like a good investment to make sure the motor is good. If it's not, it's rebuild time, but I haven't done it yet.