Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Line pressure mod in valve body and theory

Mitsu booster

Re: Line pressure mod in valve body and theory

ANybody have done this mod..i have my RMVB in hand and ready to drill the hole!

I've done this mod a few times. works great.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Did it make the shifts super hard? how much did the line pressure go up?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I think you can go as high as you dare depending on the size of the bleed. I know mine was set at 170psi before I turned it down

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    So the casting I'm looking at gets drilled on the other side into the port that is marked in yellow?
    Is that the case? Just want to make sure too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

I have take a look yesterday in the body valve..the separation plate already have a hole in this port. So..drill the case???

0.043" ?

It works!!!

I did the mod, used a 1/16 drill bit, Neon DOHC governor setup, aprox half of the adjuster used and it works great, perfect shifts, hard and in the normal spot,

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torqueflite View Post
    Drill a hole in the passage marked in yellow. . . that's it. Drill it from the other side of the valve body though.

I'm currently doing the DIY shift kit and i'm also doing this mod as well, but i'm i little confused on how exactly to drill it... Do you mean drill the hole on the other half of the valvebody? or drill the hole from the outside in on the lower half of the valvebody.

Your drilling THRU the valve body, what your are doing is making a bleed, so the pressure will come out of the hole, making the pressure go up. So mark the valve body, then carefully drill thru the casting.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Your drilling THRU the valve body, what your are doing is making a bleed, so the pressure will come out of the hole, making the pressure go up. So mark the valve body, then carefully drill thru the casting.
    Thanks for the quick reply, . I'm off to do this right now.

turbo addict

Is this the same for my a413 3 speed tranny? If so looking at the above pic, is that how it looks once the pan is removed? then just drill through that spot marked in yellow? if so just curious where does the bit end up? like how much metal does it go through before you stop, meaning do u have to worry of going too far and hitting something else?

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    Is this the same for my a413 3 speed tranny? If so looking at the above pic, is that how it looks once the pan is removed? then just drill through that spot marked in yellow? if so just curious where does the bit end up? like how much metal does it go through before you stop, meaning do u have to worry of going too far and hitting something else?
    Yes, this thread is about the A413. You have to take the valve body apart to do it, you can't do this mod with it intact. If you attempt it, make sure you have a overhaul book and very, very, very carefully take it apart as there are balls that will fall out and if you put the valves and springs in wrong, the tranny won't shift properly or you won't move.

turbo addict

Ah ok thanks bud. I figuredf it had to come apart cus why in the world would aluminum shavings be good in a trans haha. But i thought hey maybe they are saying to do it all together cus the hole is in a spot where can be easily cleaned.

FWIW, anybody doing this mod without a gauge should start with the adjustment for the pressure regulator all the way loose and adjust from there. Don't make the same mistake I did and start at the stock setting then back it off. With the regulator at the stock setting and a 1/16" bleed hole, the line pressure will be high enough to cause damage. It cost me a trans.

Tony

turbo addict

Ahhhhhh, how exactly did it kill yours? I killed my A670, something up the top end, pump, blown TC, bad input shaft bearing, or something like that nasty noises and vibration, no pressure to shift, I fragged an experimental diff spring in there 12 months previous and was blaming that, and it being a 200,000 mile tranny to start with. I had mine set at stock and 1/16 was smallest bit I could get hold of at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Ahhhhhh, how exactly did it kill yours? I killed my A670, something up the top end, pump, blown TC, bad input shaft bearing, or something like that nasty noises and vibration, no pressure to shift, I fragged an experimental diff spring in there 12 months previous and was blaming that, and it being a 200,000 mile tranny to start with. I had mine set at stock and 1/16 was smallest bit I could get hold of at the time.
    Well, I haven't got mine completely apart to see what exactly failed but I found some relatively large pieces of metal in the pan. Whatever they are, they came from something large, round, and cast. They look machined on one side and will stick to a magnet (so not aluminum). I sent Simon a pic and he thinks they are pieces of the pressure plate for the rear clutch. It also Taco'd the rear band strut. The result of the failure was no forward gears but it still had reverse.

Here's the pic of what I found in the pan. you can't tell much from it other than the basic shape of the pieces (crappy cellphone pic).

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    I used 1/16 and still had it turned up, HOLY HELL it shifted hard, luckily I had the adjustment hole drilled so turning it back down was easy. After that, shifts fast and hard, can chirp 2nd with slicks,

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Well, I haven't got mine completely apart to see what exactly failed but I found some relatively large pieces of metal in the pan. Whatever they are, they came from something large, round, and cast. They look machined on one side and will stick to a magnet (so not aluminum). I sent Simon a pic and he thinks they are pieces of the pressure plate for the rear clutch. It also Taco'd the rear band strut. The result of the failure was no forward gears but it still had reverse.

Here's the pic of what I found in the pan. you can't tell much from it other than the basic shape of the pieces (crappy cellphone pic).

Tony
    Its hard to see but I think its the lower pressure plate for the rear clutch. I also taco'd a stock rear band strut once, couldn't figure out why reverse took so long to engage, lol.

I used 1/16 and still had it turned up, HOLY HELL it shifted hard, luckily I had the adjustment hole drilled so turning it back down was easy. After that, shifts fast and hard, can chirp 2nd with slicks,
    The thing is, I had the adjustment hole drilled too. Every time I had it out, I'd back the line pressure down a couple turns. I didn't keep track, but I must have taken 4 or 5 turns out of it before it failed. I'd say it was just a case of too little too late. If I'd started with it all the way loose and added pressure as needed instead, I bet my transmission would still be in one piece.

Its hard to see but I think its the lower pressure plate for the rear clutch. I also taco'd a stock rear band strut once, couldn't figure out why reverse took so long to engage, lol.
    It's going to come apart for inspection after it comes out. If it turns out to be an easy fix, I might rebuild it while it's apart and put it back in. If not, I've got a 555 to fall back on.

The sad part is that John built me a new band strut out of hardened steel that puts the Sonnax part to shame. I'd really like to test it for him but under the circumstances...

On the bright side, the rebuild parts are cheap enough and rebuilding an auto trans is one of the things I need to check off of my list of things I haven't done before.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post

The sad part is that John built me a new band strut out of hardened steel that puts the Sonnax part to shame. I'd really like to test it for him but under the circumstances...

Tony
    The Sonnax piece is very solid, even I can't bend one,

The Sonnax piece is very solid, even I can't bend one,
    Right, I've seen the pics of the Sonnax part beside a stocker. The one John made is mucho overkill but I like it that way. Plus it was free.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast