Thread: Recommended Transmission Fluid for A523 5 speed Manual Trans (92 Spirit)

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Recommended Transmission Fluid for A523 5 speed Manual Trans (92 Spirit)

What is the recommended fluid for an A523 5 speed Manal trans. Three different references give a different answer: shop manual list 5W30; Mitchell's lists 7176 ATF (+4); a web site lists 75-90W. The car is in Nj so the temp sometimes goes down to 0-10 degrees F in the Winter.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Recommended Transmission Fluid for A523 5 speed Manual Trans (92 Spirit)

factory fill was motor oil.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    factory fill was motor oil.
    Yep, good old 5w30 motor oil.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Amsoil or any one of the purpose made manual transmission fluids approved for other new process/new venture gear transmissions would also work.

turbo addict

The newer motor oil is not suitable for transmissions anymore they took alot of crap out of it that made it work. I drained my spirit of good old API SL and filled it with SM oil and instantly 3rd gear began to grind. It went like this for a while and it always ground in third gear. A few months ago I found a combo that works great and I have not had a bit of grinding since. I use 2 quarts of Synchromesh and top the trans up with standard ATF. This quieted down the neutral gear rattle and made it shift alot better.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would put in Synchromesh or Redline MTL.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I would put in Synchromesh or Redline MTL.
    When I ran strait synchromesh I actually still got some slight gear clash.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    When I ran strait synchromesh I actually still got some slight gear clash.
    Hmmmm, I've never noticed it, maybe yours is on the cusp of being worn.

Amsoil is another great product, of course,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Amsoil Synchrmesh is referred to as a replacement for 5W30 but not referred to as GL-4. Amsoil has a different product referred to as GL-4. Redline MTL is referred to as GL-4. Pennzoil does not seem to refer to its Synchromesh as GL-4, but I think GM calls its Synchomesh GL-4.
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
    http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

Is it better to use a Synchomesh not referred to as GL-4 or a GL-4 in the 523 trans. or does it not really matter?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hmmmm, I've never noticed it, maybe yours is on the cusp of being worn.

Amsoil is another great product, of course,
    I wont argue that, It does have around 300,000mi on it. Odo has been broken since the early 2000's and had 190K then so its got to be getting close if it isnt there yet. My point is that A little ATF wont hurt and theres no need to buy a third quart of 8 dollar synchromesh when you probably aren't going to get much more than a pint in it unless you installed the drain plug.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHRYNY View Post
    Amsoil Synchrmesh is referred to as a replacement for 5W30 but not referred to as GL-4. Amsoil has a different product referred to as GL-4. Redline MTL is referred to as GL-4. Pennzoil does not seem to refer to its Synchromesh as GL-4, but I think GM calls its Synchomesh GL-4.
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
    http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7
    Is it better to use a Synchomesh not referred to as GL-4 or a GL-4 in the 523 trans. or does it not really matter?
    I used the amsoil '5w30' mtf. The other stuff is probably just as good but not necessary for our relatively light duty fwd units.

Overall as long as it says its safe for brass/yellow metals it should be fine to use.

turbo addict

Since these are "high performance" oils and most likely to be used after the warranty was voided or expired they usually don't spend the money to have it certified. If you look most Amsoil oils are not API certified.

Thanks for the comments/input from everyone.