Thread: Engine and clutch break-in questions

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Engine and clutch break-in questions

So I have a few questions about proper break in for when I get my CSX on the road again. Hopefully some of you can share your experiences and enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

I have read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1. So you're not supposed to idle it for long until the rings are seated. But I will need to bleed my steering system. Will the time it takes me to work the air bubbles out of the rack and keep topping off the pump be an issue? Since I'll need to wait until it gets to operating temp anyway, I'm probably worrying too much. But thought I'd ask.

2. So I'm supposed to drive the car hard for the first few miles to break in the engine. But I'm supposed to take it easy on the clutch for the first few miles. Should I just keep the boost low (7-10psi?) and ensure the clutch is fully engaged before flooring it and engine braking over and over? New 6 puck clutch and purple pressure plate from TU are going in to her.

Thanks again fellas.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Engine and clutch break-in questions

Idle it as little as possible, get it all ready then go out and do some mild to wot runs from say 30-40 mph in 2nd gear, 5 psi is really all you need, so WOT it for a few secs, then chop the gas, WOT then chop, do this 25 times, then go back and change your oil and filter. After you do this, you can drive it with spirit but avoid high boost until you put some miles on the clutch.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Re: Engine and clutch break-in questions

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Idle it as little as possible, get it all ready then go out and do some mild to wot runs from say 30-40 mph in 2nd gear, 5 psi is really all you need, so WOT it for a few secs, then chop the gas, WOT then chop, do this 25 times, then go back and change your oil and filter. After you do this, you can drive it with spirit but avoid high boost until you put some miles on the clutch.
    +1. You don't have to tear your clutch apart to seat the rings. Just run it through the RPM's and let your engine slow you down as stated above.