Thread: Engine runs at idle, surges and then dies

Hybrid booster

Engine runs at idle, surges and then dies

Looking to get my lebaron back that I had before from the dealer I traded it in at - been sitting about a year being moved little.

Going after work friday to check it out again to try to get it running right.

Last time I went over and looked at it we got to it start but then it would idle for about 5 - 10 seconds then would rev up to about 2k and stop running. I could feather the throttle and it would stay running a little longer but then dump.

I checked wires, hep, fuel pressure and all looked good. Un fortunately did not get the codes and he yanked the battery when we were done messing with it - I am bringing my battery this time.

2.2 TI turbo, automatic added intercooler to the car

What might be causing the car to run that way?

I have a spare tb sensor (loaner) to swap to try if that is it, spare HEP to try and my tools.

Someone mentioned to me that the speed sensor might be loose or have issues that might lead to the car acting the way it is.

Any quick help would be great - like to get it running again and get him down as low as I can to drive it off the lot Friday night.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Like to get it running and drive it since gf is tired of being the designated steerer when I am tow strapping cars. Did it with my spirit twice and she no likey.

Hybrid booster

Re: Engine runs at idle, surges and then dies

Wow - figured someone might have better clues than I on this problem.

turbo addict

Take your otc that you are selling and hook it up. Just try looking at different sensors and see if any look funny.

Sounds like its leaning out and then dying.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict
    Map sensor maybe?

Hybrid booster

Keep the ideas coming - forgot to throw the OTC in the car but might swing and get it before I go (not really used it much so one reason I left it behind).

I got him down to $900 from what I traded it in to him for and he has been the only one that drove it so I at least know that it was not beat to ---- and that something is just not cooperating right now.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by clarkwhoracing View Post
    Keep the ideas coming - forgot to throw the OTC in the car but might swing and get it before I go (not really used it much so one reason I left it behind).

I got him down to $900 from what I traded it in to him for and he has been the only one that drove it so I at least know that it was not beat to ---- and that something is just not cooperating right now.
    Dont get it running on the lot, talk him down more and then bring it home and fix it.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Dont get it running on the lot, talk him down more and then bring it home and fix it.
    I have been - stating facts like is has been sitting, I cannot drive it off the lot and he says he would prefer to sell it back to me than anyone else.

We will see.

Hybrid booster

Check your vacuum lines, particularly to the MAP sensor. A TPS could also cause this.

Mike

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mpgmike View Post
    Check your vacuum lines, particularly to the MAP sensor. A TPS could also cause this.

Mike

yep I was going to say its MAP or TPS related as well.....

coolant temp sensors have also been known to make the car run like ars....

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

I'm having a very similar issue with my 86 Turbo Z. Car has sat for a number of years. It will idle nicely, but when I drive it, or even tap the gas, it will rev up, then sputter down and die. Today it was idling nicely after a tune up and timing set, then while idling, it just sputtered to a stall. Wondering if HEP, LM, TPS, MAP, or SDS would cause this. Lucky for me, I have extras of each component, so I could play around with this stuff. I'm interested to know what fixes your problem. Good luck!
    -Lee