Thread: how do i install adjustable bobble strut?

Garrett booster

how do i install adjustable bobble strut?

hi all. i know how to bolt on the bobble strut but i'm not sure what the procedure is to do it right, do i have to loosen any mounts or does the car need to be on the ground or any other stuff like that? i have PB motor and tranny mount if that makes a difference. its on jackstands right now and i don't want any preload.

thanks

turbo addict

Re: how do i install adjustable bobble strut?

leave the other mounts tight. bolt up with no preload and you're good to go.

turbo addict

Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

thanks for the replies. i got the bobble strut put in yesterday. only, is it supposed to sit perfectly vertical? because mine sits at an angle. the bracket is missing the lower bolt but it doesn't look like even after i put the bolt in that the strut will be perfectly straight. other than that, everything feels great.

turbo addict

Angle is fine, front to back.

(to be clear on what I mean, NOT angled left to right)
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

rampage, you mean like angled towards driver or pass side, or from front to back. left to right could be your k-frame mounts, i warn everyone i can of this, the l-bodys had very weak front mounting points for the k-frame, it only takes one little slide into the curb to bend them. you will also notice when you get an alignment or just looking at the wheels of the car, it looks like one side sticks a little farther out of the fender than the other.

i tell everyone because i had a suspension failure and accident because my drivers side front k-frame mount was broken. when i looked at it, it apperd fine, but the actual mount where the speed nut is inserted was completly separated. also, every turbo l-body i have ever owned has had bent k-frame mounts, so take a look, just in case

Garrett booster

thanks for the replies. yeah if you are looking at the bobble strut from the rear (over the kframe) the strut is angled sideways. top is angled toward driver side. i'll try to take a pic today if i can. i have a dual pivot kframe in there but i don't think its bent.

thanks again for the replies

turbo addict

i thought you might have been driving an l-body because your name was rampage, guess that could mean anything. the bigger body cars can still have that problem, its just not as common (nothing like my turbo omni's )...

Garrett booster

i do have a rampage...and it is an l-body, lol. here are a couple of pictures of the bobble strut, i couldn't get one from the rear.

can you tell i have an oil leak? lol

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Looks like you're in the same spot I was when I put the bobble strut in my Charger; I didn't account for centering the engine when I fabricated the mounts. What I ended up having to do was carefully trim the bottom polyurethane bushing off one side (driver's side in your case) so the bushing was flush with the outer sleeve. When done, I had a nice polyurethane washer. Then I pushed the inner sleeve flush with the bushing, and flipped the ring I trimmed off to the other side, which moved the bottom of the strut over enough to get it verticle. It looks kinda hokey, but I've had no problems with it.