Thread: LM to smec

Garrett booster

LM to smec

hi again folks,i have another question for u all."what is actually involved in converting the LM wiring to the smec on an L body (omni) how difficult is it?I await ur response.Regards.Errol

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: LM to smec

As usual in these threads, I'm forced to ask why you want to make the change?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I converted an '85 LM/PM Chrysler T&C wagon 2.2 turbo 1 suck through throttle body to an '88 SMEC 2.2 turbo 1 blow through throttle body by building adaptor harnesses. The write-up is here: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...car&highlight= . I didn't want to try and find the harness in the junkyard with these cars drying up so I thought doing the adaptor harnesses was easier. My Dad's been driving this car for two years and loves it so doing it this way is reliable.

A.J.

Garrett booster

my reasons for thinking of the chg.are two #1 i'm not getting anything at the idle motor,#2 with the car idling and i happen to move the LM.(shake) the car dies,in chking the circuits i find all the censors has lost their gnd. so i made an external grd.to get the car running. my thought pattern focused on the grd circuit at the LM.If u have any ideas I'm willing to learn.Sorry for the delay in responding.Regards Errol
    Last edited by errol; 07-31-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: singular to plural

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I dont understand posts like these??? why not try and help the guy rather then ask why hes doing what he wants to do.....

anyway heres the answer. find yourself a 88-90 omni TBI dashboard wiring harness. its got a 50 way bulkhead for the firewall connector. this will bolt right up to any 89-90 turbo minivan harness, as well as any 88-89 H body (lancer, GTS) the only thing required is too move a couple pins around for the wiper motor (and most likely swap the wiper motor connector with the original one from the motor)

I just SMEC'd my lancer, i sort of made it a twin engine harness. everything has been seperated. i kept all lancer lighting and accessory wiring, and only used what was required to run the engine from the 89 turbo mini harness..........

if you want the EASY way out. find yourself a Super 60 engine harness. I have one in my L body I may be willing to part with but if you have the time and resources, going the "TBI" harness route i mentioned will be alot cheaper.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I dont understand posts like these??? why not try and help the guy rather then ask why hes doing what he wants to do.....
    I think its a vaild question because without knowing someone's intentions/knowledge it may save him a lot of trouble for nothing... I dont want to start a LM vs SMEC argument but nowadays there are calibration options for both available so it may make more sense to help sort out the existing problems with his LM versus jumping into a complete controller swap.

Back on the original question, Juggy's list sounds good to me.
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Quote Originally Posted by errol View Post
    my reasons for thinking of the chg.are two #1 i'm not getting anything at the idle motor,#2 with the car idling and i happen to move the LM.(shake) the car dies,in chking the circuits i find all the censors has lost their gnd. so i made an external grd.to get the car running. my thought pattern focused on the grd circuit at the LM.If u have any ideas I'm willing to learn.Sorry for the delay in responding.Regards Errol
    If I'm not mistaken, most all sensors share that single ground. I would trace that to where it is failing.

If you really want to go with a SMEC for some reason feel free to do so. It will probably be a lot more work than fixing or replacing the harness you have though.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I agree with the "why do you want to do this" approach. If you have an application like mine where I wanted to use the blow through vs the suck through set up, then by all means do the swap. But if you're trying to fix a problem by swapping to a different set up, you might be disappointed when you find after all your hard work the problem is still there. I've had a few customers over the years thinking an engine swap will fix their running condition problem. After explaining you only get a new engine and you reuse all your old sensors, manifolds, etc, and that the problem should be properly diagnosed first, they reconsider.

A.J.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

anyway heres the answer. find yourself a 88-90 omni TBI dashboard wiring harness. its got a 50 way bulkhead for the firewall connector. this will bolt right up to any 89-90 turbo minivan harness, as well as any 88-89 H body (lancer, GTS) the only thing required is too move a couple pins around for the wiper motor (and most likely swap the wiper motor connector with the original one from the motor)

I just SMEC'd my lancer, i sort of made it a twin engine harness. everything has been seperated. i kept all lancer lighting and accessory wiring, and only used what was required to run the engine from the 89 turbo mini harness..........

if you want the EASY way out. find yourself a Super 60 engine harness. I have one in my L body I may be willing to part with but if you have the time and resources, going the "TBI" harness route i mentioned will be alot cheaper.....
    can you elaborate on the wiring for the wiper motor? im pretty that there is something involved with the neutral saftery switch also. main questions are i have already installed the 88tbi harness in my car and have two mini harneses. would like to know which pins i gotta swap.

Quote Originally Posted by bgbmxer View Post
    can you elaborate on the wiring for the wiper motor? im pretty that there is something involved with the neutral saftery switch also. main questions are i have already installed the 88tbi harness in my car and have two mini harneses. would like to know which pins i gotta swap.
    The wiper motor wiring is in different parts of the bulk head connectors for some of the cars so you have to move it on the engine side to match the dash side.

I bet you could come up with the diagrams in a search on here. I know I've seen them posted before.

I think I have a spreadsheet that maps the LM wiring to SMEC, but I'll have to dig for it. I KNOW I've sent it before and I think through gmail, so let me see what I can do. The only reason I went to SMEC was to keep the wiring in the engine bay and "clean" things up. Honestly, looking back at it, it wasn't that clean as I would like to have had it.

AAANNNND that was easy. This probably isn't comprehensive, but it will get you started if you go through with it. I couldn't wrap my head around the larger power wires that go through the 40 way, but you just need to match up the fuse to the wire. If you need the 85 and 89 wiring diagrams, let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]