Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Re: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

I completely forgot to mention that I got the explorer heater valve installed. Its not quite a direct fit, on the mopar part the pipe that goes to the water pump outlet is turned 90* to the other three pipes. on the ford part its flush with the others. I only had to lengthen one hose to make it fit well. Its been a solid five days since anything leaked or broke

*posting from night class*

new head unit arrived today! WOOT! cant wait to lob this thing in and get cracking on the interior restomods :P

Pulling apart the dash to mount the new deck and a twenty year old virginia slim pops out of the dash. You came a long way indeed...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Make sure you've got a good ground to that wiper motor too. I had the ground piece go bad on mine and it would cause intermittent failures. I ended up running a 10ga. ground from the wiper motor to the body under the wiper motor bracket. You can't see it and the wipers go fast like they should.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Make sure you've got a good ground to that wiper motor too. I had the ground piece go bad on mine and it would cause intermittent failures. I ended up running a 10ga. ground from the wiper motor to the body under the wiper motor bracket. You can't see it and the wipers go fast like they should.
    Actually, I hadn't mentioned it but a couple of days ago I had to take my Dad's truck to work and when I swapped cars back I noticed the driver's side wiper was "up". tried pushing it around and heard some pop and a clunk. Damned thing started working again a couple days later. I think the linkage between the two is loose and jammed on something. When I yank it apart I'll def look into augmenting the ground. good looking out!

Oh, and badass

Type O Negative. Nice.

Sundays are my only day off so I ended up sleeping in and got a late start today, then the Eagles weren't losing for a change so I couldn't leave that , still managed to get all the brake discs swapped out. SOOOOOO much smoother riding. Also coated most of the known rust spots with black rustoleum. Ought to buy me a little more time.

Buddy at the Car club meet offered to lend me his spring compressors so hopefully I can get all the suspension goodies swapped over. DYING to get the full 3inch exhaust swapped over...can you bolt a 3in dp to a 2.25 sv? I always thought the answer was no but the SV on this car seems way bigger than the stock pipe and has me wondering. if not is an in car SV swap possible? or a giant pain in the dick?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

3" to 2.25 is basically no unless you want to do more work then it's worth.

Swapping SV in the car is not bad IF you dont break a bunch of the bolts off trying to loosen them, but that's a BIG if.

Seems like someone used to sell the 3" downpipe without a flange.. you could start the 3" right after the smaller flange, but you'd be missing out on some benefit, i think.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    Its been a solid five days since anything leaked or broke
    "Its a nothing part, till you don't got one"
    -Malcolm Reynolds

On the way home from school tonight listening to the flyers annihilate Ottawa and I lost my accessory belt (again) on the Jersey Turnpike. spent three hours trying to get back with AAA. Hopefully I can source two tomorrow.

Im an ------- for saying that

Woot! passed inspection first try!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

On my CSX i had the down pipe from fwd that went from 2.5" to 3" and it fit the 2.25 s.v. just fine. I have also had a full 3" fit into the 2.5 s.v. Not sure if this helps you out or not.

yeah I was going to swap on my FM E1 head but Ive read enough horror stories about the FAW 782 I think id just be better off simply swapping manifolds to the stock head...

You know whats awesome about restoring a car that has sat for years? everything, sarcasm of course. lost my other wiper in our snow the other day. limped home and had to figure it out today. bought and installed two new bushings, bolted everything together and...nothing. check the boards, wiring diagram, fuses and remember cordes advice on grounds so i ran another line and its working well now.

and with it getting cold out and my winter beater still not fixed I figured it was time to bite the bullet and find out what the ungodly smell was in the air vents...

what can I say? when youre right youre right. bout 3 dead mice tons of ---- and other byproducts everywhere. this was REALLY fun to clean

all back together, slowly coming along.

even the shadow looks good

I never posted it but I swapped the nasty cloth door covers for the leather ones from my T-top car. much nicer inside. also swapped the rockford door and pioneer rear speakers. gotta source some good replacements for the fronts. I never knew that panel was held on by bayonette clips when I did stereos on the red one

24/7

Ride to work this morning smelled like cinnaflavored antiseptic

Well, my time driving this car in it's current incarnation is running short. Winter is coming and years of neglect are really starting to rear their ugly head. The exhaust has developed a 1 1/2inch hole in front of the cat. tried a tiger patch and a beer can. burned through in about a day . fixed the loose powersteering belt. go to start it and i hear slapping from the right side...---- timing belt is loose. pop the covers and look it over, def loose but I can probably get away with it (late at night and have to be at work early the next day) fire it up to see how much slop its got and I got stupid. tapped the belt and watched it shoot towards the valve cover, didnt even think about it and tried to tap it back the other way with my finger. caught my glove and drug my right index up through the cam gear. thank God i was wearing gloves, the belt was loose and the 2.2 is SOHC.

thought i was gonna have a Jorge lorenzo moment when the glove came off. luckily everything is still attached. ive got feeling and i can still move it, albeit stiffly and with a good amount of pain.
    Lessons learned: always wear gloves and if you have to dick with a running engine use a ----ing screwdriver.

worst part is I believe the cam to have jumped a tooth retarded, idles like ---- but it clears out enough to drive smoothly (though it doesnt want to rev) Im running the spark pretty advanced which seems to keep it goin until I have time to try and jump the belt back. What I really need to do is fix my jeep so the daytona can rest for a bit and I dont have to rush every job into the three days off I have a month.

cheers

Wow! Glad you still have your finger. That's all you can ask for after something like that. I always thought it would take one right off, but I guess we now know.

yeah yer telling me! lol i thought it was gonna stay in the glove when i took it off. might have a buyer for my 240z, that would give me enough to fix the jeep and space to store the daytona. fingers crossed

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I also found three dead mice in the heater blower of my '87 Shelby Lancer shortly after buying it. Gross!

alright, so advanced the cam 1 tooth (clockwise) and got everything tightened up again and it seems to be much happier. idle is much improved and the power in the lower bands is crazy. the problem however is theres a noticeable slow down when it hits 4k. like it ran out of cam or something. so with that im assuming im still off a tooth. which way should I go? clockwise? counter? ill probably try to reset the whole thing this weekend, might install my adjustable cam gear while im at it if it will come off the old head.

spooling very well with my exhaust leak. its like a free cutout!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I would just put it on the tooth it's supposed to be on.. loosening the tensioner and moving it forward or backward a tooth is 80% of the work of setting it to the right place anyway, so you might as well actually see where it's at.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast