Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

I need to fix the window in my Daytona too. THanks for the tip on securing it until I can source a replacement.

On the wiper front I would hit the motor with a screwdriver handle while you've got them turned on. I've freed up more than one wiper motor by using this technique on cars which have been sitting for long periods.

Ill have to give that a go when I get her back, thanks for the tip man!

Pulled the leather door trim off my old z today, not sure if they got cut for the t-top cars but it'll be great having the one with the 10 year indent from where my arm hangs out the window.

Whew! been busy with 2 jobs, night school, and national guard. still managed to get a ton of stuff done. brakes are fixed, title is transferred and the car is legal and insured. went for a little spin earlier, seafoamed the ---- out of everything and changed major fluids. slowly getting there.

hows a car this old and neglected run this well? amazing

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    THIS is why I love these cars

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

good to hear! enjoying watching the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    THIS is why I love these cars
    seriously! I left TMs for an NSX for chrissake. The Shelby Z is just more fun

Took it on a final shakedown cruise beating it down the highway, belt squealing like holy hell. noise stopped as i was getting off and the temps shot through the damn roof! parked and cooled it down...limped home and did some fiddling. swapped in my drilled 180* stat from the red car and TU housing. filled it back up and fired it up. put a flashlight on the acc belt to see if the waterpump was spinning and OH ---- NO BELT! think i figured out why it stopped squealing :P gonna swap in the red car's belt this weekend and continue shakedown trials...shes close!

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Oh, I should mention: the analog gauge cluster has magically returned to life! even the tach seems like its semi accurate. might put that Digi swap on the back burner for a bit, still want to build a full custom dash with all Autometers but we got plenty of time for that

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

think i figured out why it stopped squealing :P
    LOL, priceless!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

So...the other night after the belt broke my girlfriend decided she wanted some "relations" and since it was a nice night out I figured "why not in the car?" My backyard is fairly private with a big plastic fence (although I don't have a gate anymore cause a hurricane broke it) anyway she got all dolled up and things moved towards the pass seat. One small problem: the dome light is gonna give us away! After looking around a bit I realize there's no way short of a fuse pull to kill the damned thing. So I do what any guy would in the heat of the moment and yank the housing out with my bare hands. Managed to give myself a third degree burn on my left index finger (oww! Worth it tho ;-)) fast forward to tonight. Replaced the belt, swapped in an led conversion bulb and re-glued the shift knob insert
    Last edited by Khajjathefang; 10-01-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Garrett booster

this thread is more fun than watching a movie!! i can tell this guy is having alot more fun with his than i am mine (car and girl)!! great stuff...keep it coming!!

Forgot to mention, we heat gun stripped those awful louver mounts off. looks MUCH better but still needs some razor blade lovin'

Maybe tomorrow I'll make a plug for the NOS fogger hole in my upper IC pipe from the old car. Never did fire the damned thing, ended up trading it for a motorcycle. Im thinking a cut down bolt with a smattering of JB weld oughta keep the boost inside where it belongs
    Last edited by Khajjathefang; 10-01-2011 at 12:56 AM.

got the bov pipe all plugged up so I went ahead and mounted it yesterday morning, also deleted the stock airbox and crossover pipe and stuck an old K&N cone on the stock rubber inlet tube with a silicone connector. looks like its supposed to be there. tried replacing my rearview mirror with the one from my other car and discovered that they are different and dont fit (!) and went out for another shakedown cruise.

found a couple more issues, seems the oil pressure sender had failed internally and was leaking up around the screw where the wire connects. WIERD but I suppose if theres a point for failure a turbo dodge is gonna find it swapped that for another sender with clean teflon tape. Also saw some steam coming up from the hood at slow speed and water coming down when I stopped for breakfast. UHOH lets take a peek underhood...Doesnt look too bad, no obvious leak. water evidence all over the intercooler and rad and some gurgle noise from the overflow. looks like a bad rad cap. Swapped that for a new Stant lever cap and kept rolling.

I forgot how much fun it is blasting off the turbo XS type-h next to people. especially old folks and cute girls.

Big test is tomorrow, I have to drive her about 200 miles round trip for work. tossed in a fire extinguisher and im going to pack some spare oil and my air pump. got my AAA card all ready

Garrett booster

That thing looks sinister man....love it in black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 540demon View Post
    That thing looks sinister man....love it in black!!!
    Me too! I've always wanted a black one. Had two reds and a blue and it never quite looked right. Can't wait to get her on the suspension from the red Z and swap those pumpers out for my SSR Comps....If I can ever pry them away from the GF's Lebaron that is

Heres my old Z in much better times

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

im torn on whether to swap the rollbar and short shifter. the three gauge pod is NOT making the transition. I need that space for the boost controller I want.

she already stole my alpine

On my way home from work/class tonight and she's running pretty well. been toying with some guy in a E46 who was too scared to try anything, Haven't seen him in miles. My exit is coming up and I notice a car creeping up on my left trying to figure out what I am. Good look in the mirror and I can tell by the lights its an EG civic with aftermarket fogs. Fogs eh? what else you got buddy? I let him get to my back tire, clutch-rev-dump and mash the pedal to the floor. fly from 60-90 and there is a city block between us. He makes no attempt whatsoever to catch up, actually slows down a bit. guess he didnt really have anything else afterall? almost made it home and I see familiar taillights. a black lebaron stuck at the light! a bit closer and yup thats my plate. Girlfriend is on her way back from girl's night out, I know she'll go, only one problem: Im stuck behind the 350z sitting next to her. light changes shift hard to second, pop a lane right and blew by them both. look on her face was priceless, I should come home early more often one of these days I'll get a decent race.

Also, looks like the never to be sufficiently damned heater valve is busted. two cars in a row man! these things suck. guess im topping it off tomorrow and hopefully source a replacement quick.

Garrett booster

Priceless! Something about driving these things makes me wanna drive like a 17 year old too!!!
    I jumped on a 2000ish mustang Friday leaving work. Poor fella never had a clue!!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

the never to be sufficiently damned heater valve
    Love the phrase. I always remove those stupid things...

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Love the phrase. I always remove those stupid things...
    ordered up one for a 97 v6 ford explorer. damned near the same thing and in easy to find parts surplus.

So since i've been driving her to newark three days a week I have noticed a certain stumble as she transitions from vacuum to boost. In addition, she seems to have some reluctance to rev until it goes closed loop. SO...thinking its a spark issue, tonight I decided to swap over some Ignition stuff from the red car. pulled my cap with the magnecore wires and cleaned up the rotor. Pulled the plugs from my FM E1 head and swapped them in noting that the first two cyls were gapped under 30 and the last two over. ugh at least they look even. went to swap the cap and the screws stripped on the old distributor. ----! ripped out the distributor and cut the cap screws with a dremel so I could see the rotor position. swapped in the new one and got everything bolted back together. starts first try! woot, guess i got everything right for once bust out the timing gun and set it to 14* (I think I remember Gary D recommending that on his site) and go for a spin. MUCH smoother...wow shes really pulling too! rips right up to redline, I'd only intended to go around the block but ---- it a little blast down the highway wont hurt anyone . Gave a yellow 997 turbo an earful of BOV. I wouldnt have stood a chance but he was too busy trying to work out what I was to reciprocate (have I mentioned that I love how aggressive this car's obscurity allows me to be?) hit the freeway onramp and im revving deep into second, hit the apex and floor it, car just sticks and goes. Are we sure this is FWD? tach deep in the red, shift to third and merge at double traffic speed. Awesome. why did they ever stop making these?

terrible night picture, but you can make out the few limited mods that have been so far completed.

more tomorrow!

Hmm Havent been able to post for the last couple of days, I dont think the forums like the new firefox very much

the wipers have completely ---- the bed. hopefully i can get the motor swapped out this weekend. Also need to work up a plan to swap the Koni/Eibach setup over...car feel like its gonna do a backflip on hard accel

So tonight on the way home the dash cover started rattling loose so I yanked it, front speakers are beyond blown. Its actually painful trying to listen to the stock setup. Started poking around on crutchfield tonight cause I have had my eye on a new head unit for a few weeks now and surprise! they're offering the deck (listed at $280) for about $100 off withfree shipping, free mount, and free wire adapter. Couldnt pass that one up even poked around online and found another $25 gift certificate heres what I went with:

Sony DSX-S300BTX

the black with blue layout is going to match GREAT with some of the other goodies I want to mount and it has bluetooth for both calls and streaming.

best part is this:

instead of playing CDs this thing has a retractable tray you can mount your ipod, mp3 player, or small harddrive in and then enjoy your music without wire junk everywhere. a couple of months ago, my girl found an old 30 gig video ipod with a busted audio jack. guess where that lil sumbitch is headed?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast