Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Re: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    Probably wont get the car to the shop until next week maybe. In the meantime I've been reading up on how to depower a steering rack (For those that dont remember, my Intake manifold blocks the cap of the pump reservoir and my stock line was leaking like a sieve. Theres possibly another reason to go to manual...but lets not talk about that until it happens :P)

Anyway, heres a link:
    http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=2
    Basically you crack it apart and remove the cylinder and seals then grease it up and seal it. All the advantages of a manual rack while keeping the fast ratio and not having to dick around with couplers.

If I'm not working at the shop tomorrow I'll try to yank the rack out of my parts car and give it a go (with pics!)
    I took a bad rack apart to do the very same thing not long ago. I didn't end up using it, but it really wasn't hard to do. Love to hear how it works out for you!

Been following this thread for a while now...your progress and pictures make for a good read, continue with the updates
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Have to tried the ZF pump with your lengel intake? It moves over 2" or so closer to the passenger side vs the Saginaw.

While I used Lengel's baseplate and contracted him to design/make the TB mount endcap to call mine a "lengel" intake is something of a misnomer. He started selling his after mine was completed and his are shorter based (I assume) on the way my plenum blocks the Saginaw cap. (Point of order: If that line made me sound like a jerk thats not my intention. Lengel did the design on the hard parts and gave me a heck of a deal in the process, I only found the supplier for d shape extrusion, worked the math for volume, and asked for a throttle cap using those specs. I fully endorse his decision to mass produce his revised design, I just don't like it getting lumped in with the mass produced ones. No drama intended or implied)

Whew :P That said, I've been driving it belt off for quite some time and had no interest in going back to a powered system. All I'm looking for is a mild reduction in effort. (What can I say? I loved the manual rack in my NSX.)

Besides. I *might* need the space

OK. I figure I can let the cat out of the bag now. I bought Wallace's hy35 tube header. XD probably won't get used right away but things are gonna get silly when im ready to drop in the built block

Header arrived. Looks good overall but I want to have it slightly revised before I consider it mountable. Will probably hand it off to my fabricator buddy to play with when hes bored at work sometime this week. I did attempt to test mount the HY35 exhaust housing and found that the internal gate arm hits the #4 primary so looks like without question the actuator arm and can mount will get sliced off and the internal gate will need to be welded shut.

I've got to poke around the garage a bit and see if I can find the stock HY DP so we can start converting it to 3 inch use

Did a little work on the lebaron and a little mocking up and measuring today.

Pulled the clutch and pp from the orange block and set them aside for the Baron.

And cleaned up an old flywheel I had laying around (Orange block's is balanced to the crank so thats staying put)

Started putting them in and realized I was out of threadlocker so switched to modding the HY35 for use with the new header

Lopped the wastegate actuator arm off and ground it flush

And did the same to the can bracket on the compressor cover (man this thing is dirty!)

Made damn sure the internal flapper is never opening again. beads on beads. I got a bit overboard but I dont usually get things to weld that will just eat heat so I was having a bit of fun trying things out.

And shoved it all together for a quick mock up

Heres my primary issue with this header, the #1 primary sticks way out and chews up a bunch of extra space. I'm thinking it can be re routed down between #2/3 and #4 and then hook a turn back into the collector. Havent had a chance to take it to my buddy's yet, we'll see

Space from the lower intake is excellent.

Turbo has enough offset to poke out the side but we'll likely still weld on an offset pipe to the compressor outlet. Oil feed should be easy to access

I might have issues running a filter to this thing considering the area its trying to occupy. I'm not a fan of running mesh but if theres no other option we'll make it happen

I can't wait to get this going. Gotta start saving for an ultragate :P

Had a real nice Halloween. Roaring fire, smores, beer, and that sexy a** for a background.

Got the header over to my friend today. Hes going to clean it up a bit, re-route the #1 primary, add a egt bung, and ceramic coat it. Excited.

Got the spare rack out today, FILTHY

Started raining so I only got part of it de-greased and the lines off

Doug found some stuff we really didn't like inside the header

so its going to get completely redone

Been quiet for a bit. Got a new winter beater 3.8 Taurus with a blown HG I'm working on when its not freezing and I don't have work.

Made a little bit of progress on the rack, got the arms off but the cheapo snap ring tool I have is balking at the neck ring

Turns out the Honda swingarm tool for a Hawk GT is almost perfect for the pinion shaft lower cover

And been bringing my studies home. We'll see if anything interesting comes out of it. I've got some ideas.

Figured a midwinter update was in order. Car is in essentially the same shape as my garage is remote from the house and unheated so I've been focusing on other things.

Got the hy35 completely stripped

Have the rebuild kit all ready, just waiting until I have access to the bead blasting cabinet in the shop at school so I can get the center and exhaust housings cleaned up.

Also got a killer deal on an old Monster Tach

Even if it turns out to be junk it'll be useful as I'm trying to teach myself Inventor and I want to design a new gauge panel with 3d printing in mind.

Is there anything better than a sandblaster?

TBT:

Pulled her out and gave her a good bath then took her to the shop for a new brake line and alignment. Running on only three jugs but we'll worry about that later. DEF need to find the same paint I shot the taillight housing in and grab a couple more cans to clean up the mirrors and lower airdam.

New monster head is almost done and while the new power package wont be ready in time for SDAC I should be able to get it moving this fall. VERY excited XD. Speaking of. I can't make any promises yet but hoping to attend this year. be nice to finally put some names to faces!

Replaced the rotor and cleaned the wires up and shes running like a top. got her legal today and been cruising around town. Getting lots of looks

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    Replaced the rotor and cleaned the wires up and shes running like a top. got her legal today and been cruising around town. Getting lots of looks
    Great weather here in Jersey for crooooozin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Great weather here in Jersey for crooooozin'!
    Hell yeah, wherebouts the wastelands are ya?

Been slowly letting her wipe away the cobwebs. Run in new gas and keeping her around 7 psi for right now

Remote head units rock!

I still need to install the F1 style shift light and TT. Maybe next week while I've got nothing to do.

Love this beast.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122