Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Dave's 87 Shelby Z (+ 87 Lebaron)

Recently I was accepted into a school program oriented towards training and eventually employing veterans in the IT field. Seeing that the class was an hour and a half drive up the turnpike in Newark, my GMC Safari had to go for something more fuel efficient and a ton of searching later I found a MINT black Lebaron T1 log auto. Tossed in a boost gauge, timer, boost controller and a few other goodies from my old (rusted out) Shelby Z and I was really remembering how much fun these things are. Wasn't too long until my girlfriend started to get jealous of my sub $30 fill ups and started making noises about wanting something to replace her Grand Cherokee 5.2. Started looking around for a nice P body for her and this thing popped up. Not too far away, decent price, low miles, my favorite color, and I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Daytonas (this is my 4th) little fast talking and I convinced her to take the Baron once this beasty is reliable again. Wasnt running when i went up to look her over, but the body was straight and I could only see the car through the eyes of a sixteen year old kid seeing nothing but the potential. Well I wanted a project

Here she is parked next to my retired red 87'. Filthy girl...

Someone ought to outlaw trees. Big thanks to Cordes for help with troubleshooting the dead fuel pump

Lurking Lebaron

Couldnt get the power loss lamp to light, tried a junk cluster and managed to get 12, and 55. Figured the ribbon connector for the idiot lights was bad and changed the back board out. Doesnt seem to have fixed the issue, I think something is loose on the red connector. Maybe it'll come back with regular use? At least I know the LM is getting signals out now.

Gave her a half assed attempt at cleaning, gonna be a ton of work. Looks a hundred times better though

The current plan is to get her running good and then swap basically the entire top end from the red Z to include the 3 in exhaust and the intercooler. Gonna take the head from the black Z and use it to convert the Baron from Log to T2. Eventually, I want to shove this Caravan 2.4 in there you know, I always wondered how wide a flat 4.4 v8 would be...

I know which one is Ghost's favorite!

Running Broke list:

*BAD power steering leak. Removed belt until I can work out how to swap the pressure line...hope thats the problem.
    *#3 piston possible fried rings
    Last edited by Khajjathefang; 07-26-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Re: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Played some cod, got bored and decided to see if I could convince the pumps to come out without dropping the tanks. Jacked the driver's rear and got to whacking. The 255 came out easy as pie, the stocker took some beating. Got everything swapped over and a circuit test completed before the heavens opened up. 1st start is just gonna have to wait till it stops raining. Effing mother nature :P

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

87 Shelby Z! ... Subscribed

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    87 Shelby Z! ... Subscribed
    Your Z is a big part of what pulled me back to these things well, that and insurance prices on the NSX. If mine ends up half as awesome I'll be happy

Oh, I see its my fault, LOL...

I'm sure it will be good and awesome

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

SUCCESS! Jumped it off Vic's jeep and she awoke with a clatter! Literally, stuck lifter. Luckily it worked its way free after a few seconds and she quieted down to a nice rumble. A little cam noise but thats to be expected with a slider (I am now 100% convinced that there is a roller in my Baron, no 2.2 slider runs THAT smooth) couple revs, turbo sounds good, spooling nicely.

Hundred year old gas, dodgy fuel lines, no tach, no plates, no insurance, hell I haven't even transferred the title yet. Eff it I'm going around the block. back out real slow, look down at the radio and realize the old owner had the dimmer cranked down, no wonder there were no lights! Put her in gear and ease out, clutch is heavy, the 555 shifts tight and clean, memories flood back to ten years ago when I first drove my red one and old gas be damned my foots going down. She flies! in comparison to a heavier auto log car anyway, boost comes up in a sweet balance as she reminds me why she crushed the Porsche 951 back in the day. Loop the block, heading back, roads a little tight so no shenanigans here, press the brakes a little harder and RIGHT TO THE FLOOR! brake light comes on and smoke everywhere! feels like the calipers are a bit stuck, cool I'll let that slow me down, slip the clutch a little and roll up the drive. Guess I gotta do brakes now. FML

Lots of work to do and National Guard AT starts next week. Its gonna be a LOOONG month till i can get back to her

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Oh, I see its my fault, LOL...

I'm sure it will be good and awesome
    street driven 5 speed, runs tens yup your fault

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    Hundred year old gas, dodgy fuel lines, no tach, no plates, no insurance, hell I haven't even transferred the title yet. Eff it I'm going around the block.
    LOL, awesome

street driven 5 speed, runs tens yup your fault
    ya got me there, guilty as charged

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Subscribed.

Glad to hear you have it running. I really can't wait to see the progress this thing makes.

If you're ever looking for some 11" brakes let me know.

Been raining all afternoon so I cant hunt for the leak. Had enough time to do a little trouble shooting though, turns out even though the bulb I had in the Power loss slot had an intact filament the thing was bad. Swapped out and got some codes. 12, 55 from my Red Shelby's LM and 11, 12, and 55 from its OG, Sweet. Tossed in yet another cluster in search of a good tach and found one thats moving freely, just flying all over the place. AIS is def out and whatever literally died in the air fan REEKS.

Any one know how the fix the passive restraint system? what controls it? where its power comes from? fuse? I know it was a dumb idea and they suck but I'd like to have it working.

Updating the broke list
    Last edited by Khajjathefang; 07-26-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Any one know how the fix the passive restraint system? what controls it? where its power comes from? fuse? I know it was a dumb idea and they suck but I'd like to have it working.
    On mine it is totally passive, the shoulder belt just clicks into the buckle on the door. Is yours motorized?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

On mine it is totally passive, the shoulder belt just clicks into the buckle on the door. Is yours motorized?
    Hmm well I thought they were...LOL I might be looking too far into this, how dumb would it be to put it there if its fixed? to the owner's manual!

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Alright scratch that. I went out and took a closer look while grabbing a new beer (All beer at my house lives in a 1940's Westinghouse fridge out in the garage, Od green with flames. The extra distance helps deter me from drinking up all the beer at once and occasionally makes me more productive ) Anyway, I can see no possible way that those belt mounts could move. Manual must have been written with the new retarded laws in mind and the belt position the same. Im still gonna tell USAA its got a passive restraint system :P prolly only have to pay like $12 a month instead of the $17 I get on the Lebaron

Oh yeah, heres my Fridge. Effing badass. turns beer into slushies, we never should have banned freon.

updated broke stuff list
    Last edited by Khajjathefang; 07-26-2011 at 12:04 AM.

So I'm finally home from AT and its my first real day off in a month go to work on the shelby and. Its pouring out. Doh! Fired right up and pulled it into the garage. Didn't see any fuel leak, but I did locate the brake leak.

On a lighter note: Victoria had my lebaron while I was gone and racked up its first kill rolling home today. Riced out civic. I'm totally upset

Gonna hit up some fabric shops tonight. See if I can find a badass pattern for the headliner :P

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Sweet! 87 = 2pc intake = win.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Good to see you are still around doing well and wrenching on some TD's. I still have the van... Have fun with the projects!

Quote Originally Posted by My96z View Post
    Good to see you are still around doing well and wrenching on some TD's. I still have the van... Have fun with the projects!
    Holy crap! Jeff! hows life man? Im still telling people how much fun that day terrorizing killeen in your voyager was. you still with the army?

I gotta apologize to anyone watching this thread, work, guard, and school have completely dominated my time lately, plus I still haven't managed to sell the 240z OR the NSX so theres no garage space. :grr:

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Sweet! 87 = 2pc intake = win.
    hell yeah, gotta find someone to port them now that I have two

Hybrid booster

[/COLOR]
    hell yeah, gotta find someone to port them now that I have two
    Get ahold of Moparzrule. He ported my two-piece and it looks good! He also modded my fuel rail for more volume.

Hybrid booster

check my 87 shelby z out!
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

Had a productive day, brake lines are too far gone so I'm going to drop it at the shop tonight. Pass door was simply stuck, tons of WD40 sprayed in and around got it working again. the window tracks were shattered as expected

550 cord will keep the window sealed until I can source a replacement.

fuel leak traced out to be a hairline crack in the filter, slapped on a new one and some extra thick line on the feed side to clear out some of the hokey line replacement.
    gauge cluster still doesn't work correctly. Im going to log it's mileage and swap in a known good Digi cluster. I gotta have a functional tach. I think im going to try and whore out a stock cluster and see if i could sneak a 5in in dash tach in there. looks to be possible if i leave a notch or two for clearance. before i mock it up I will have to take stock of what gauges are actually needed and what can I stuff where. should be fun.

updated broke list.

Well that was a fun ride. Found another fault, wipers are toast. Looks like I'm swapping motors when it comes back

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast