Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

Re: Dave's 87 Shelby Z

hey its a year and 10 lbs later (182 now ) Car is still broke, was just focusing on keeping the house paid for, new relationship, and other assorted life crap. Anyway been getting back to the Shelby in little steps.

Got that seized HY35 back from my buddy and tried an overnight soak in evap-o-rust. Broke free and apart pretty easily. Looks good for modding and rebuild

Welded up a custom mount for my sequential shift light. Just waiting on some double sided tape and for me to feel like crawling under the dash to wire it and the turbo timer

Made some mounts for the new fuel rail

Also slowly pulling the suspension goodies from the red shelby. keep finding wasps though

In other projects:

Been making some progress on my hawkster

Probably going to nab the compression tester in a day or two to figure out wtf is wrong with the block

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Very cool. Glad to see some activity in this thread again.

Thanks man, glad to be back into things

Didnt get back in time to snag the comp tester today. Did fix the back seat and fuel line on the Maddy though. Been good getting back on two
    Last edited by Khajjathefang; 07-21-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Guess We're pulling #3

- - - Updated - - -

Guess We're pulling #3

A little low on compression in number three for sure.

Indeed. Should have listened to you when you suggested popping them out after the overheat. Ah well.

Currently swapping over the Koni/eibach stuff from the red car and the big rear sway.

also swapped out the left rear bumpstop. no more mystery clunks from the broken shaft on turns!

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed. Should have listened to you when you suggested popping them out after the overheat. Ah well.

Currently swapping over the Koni/eibach stuff from the red car and the big rear sway.

also swapped out the left rear bumpstop. no more mystery clunks from the broken shaft on turns!

Wow, that's going to be a really different car with those changes.

The other half was trapped in the coils of the stock spring

Stopped at the back half. Tomorrow I'll put it up in the garage in prep for pulling the head and get the front suspension swapped out. You aint kidding on the change. The rear end is TIGHT now. Can barely even move it pressing (set konis to stiff) and already settled lower than the nose. In this shot you can see the Koni's, Eibachs, adjustable panhard bar, and the swaybar under the rear axle. Looks sexy as hell If you ask me

Just the change to a hardtop ought to be a massive improvement in handling but dont forget that this car features strut tower bars front and back and the rollbar, probably lighter too. If I end up pulling the engine I'll likely crawl in with the welder and start stitching up the seams in the engine bay

- - - Updated - - -

The other half was trapped in the coils of the stock spring

Stopped at the back half. Tomorrow I'll put it up in the garage in prep for pulling the head and get the front suspension swapped out. You aint kidding on the change. The rear end is TIGHT now. Can barely even move it pressing (set konis to stiff) and already settled lower than the nose. In this shot you can see the Koni's, Eibachs, adjustable panhard bar, and the swaybar under the rear axle. Looks sexy as hell If you ask me

Just the change to a hardtop ought to be a massive improvement in handling but dont forget that this car features strut tower bars front and back and the rollbar, probably lighter too. If I end up pulling the engine I'll likely crawl in with the welder and start stitching up the seams in the engine bay

turbo addict

My t-top with a rear brace and Koni's and 2801's had a decent ride but compared to the hardtop I bought to replace it was like a wet noodle. I can't wait to get the suspension pieces transferred all onto the hardtop and take it for a spin.

turbo addict

You are probably going to have to reset the adjustment on the Koni's. The spring rate of the Eibach's really doesn't require that much rebound control (most of what the adjustment affects for those dampers). I have mine set around half IIRC and it handled and rode excellent. From the mouth of a Koni rep: drive over a speed bump and adjust the dampers so the car compresses the suspension, rebounds once then settles. It works very well.

Its always possible. At least its a fairly easy job :P

So the driver improvement program is showing fruits

And spent most of my free time today organizing my messy garage so I'll have some room to get to work

Much much better. Still have all that old T1 stuff and the spare 413 if anyone wants to make an offer :P

And found the stock taillight from my long gone 954rr and it lines up almost perfect with the overhang on the ducati monster seat that I'm adapting for the Hawk

turbo addict

When you adjust the dampers, use a sharpie or tape to mark the position, especially the rear dampers. Also, at least for the rear, take them both out at the same time. This way you can make sure that the rebound is the same from side to side. Unless you really want to take the struts out, the front is done by feel. I can't remember if I took my struts out once I got the initial adjustment.

iirc dont the fronts have detents? I've got the adjuster knob for those. I didnt feel any kind of detent in the rears. Its compress and twist correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Maddy got into another mood about starting cold last night when I went for a midnight cruise, so this morning I tore the starter down and cleaned the crap out of it and gently sanded the contacts

Works like a champ now.

Mine don't have detents in the front.

turbo addict

No detects in the front or back. Yes, the rear is compress and twist. It's not as easy as it sounds. I imagine that a lot of people use a vice to hold one side of the damper while they twist the other side. I've used an expansion joint in sidewalk concrete. That works pretty well for holding both dampers down at the same time so you can make sure the rebound rate is the same for both sides.

Been busy with homework and getting the house ready for the gf to move in. Haven't made the progress I'd like. Today got the headbolts out and completed about 80% of the topside disconnect as well as drained coolant. Hopefully Will have her jacked up in the next day or two

Beth is in and trying to balance out work, school, and army. Anyway, we went to Atco the other night to watch the street test n tune and I was surprised to see a pair of turbo daytonas running which naturally had the effect of putting a boot in my --- to get back on track with this project

Got under her tonight and finished disconnecting the top end

aaaaaand found this

Looks like I dont have to pull the pan to figure out what happened here. Can't believe I missed it on the head swap but hell I figured with all the other symptoms that I'd found It couldnt be anything else right? Damn my assumption. lol.

Luckily I snagged the forged block from my parts car

the jugs and bores generally look good though #1 has some wall discoloration that I might want to get a quick hone to clean up. Its also going to need a bearing check, clean, and repaint before I go slapping it back in. Meantime I'm already talking to my fabrication buddy about modding the exhaust manifold for the Hy35 exhaust Housing and creating a new downpipe. Lotta work to do this winter

Hybrid booster

Hey i was the red daytona. Should have came over and chatted

Quote Originally Posted by jackerman View Post
    Hey i was the red daytona. Should have came over and chatted
    I was wondering if that was you, we wandered by to check it out in the pits but didnt see anyone who was obviously with the car. Clean! She got a bunch of compliments from the kids in the crowd too