Thread: Intermediate shaft bushings

Hybrid booster

Intermediate shaft bushings

Never had to install Intermediate shaft bushings before, any suggestions on the best way to do so? (2.5 CB motor)
    I can just see a fancy special tool that would make things easy, figured i wouldnt even try until i found out the correct way. Thanks!

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: Intermediate shaft bushings

Yes, you need the special tool. But, if your experienced, and in a pinch, you might get lucky and find the right diameter socket and use that as a driver.... but the radiused ends of the socket may booger up the edges of the actual bearing. Make sure that you get the oil holes lined right up good.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

For the inner use a 3/8npt close nipple(very short pipe fitting threaded both sides)then a 3/8npt coupling and a 3/8pipe about seven inches. This will fit the small bushing exactly, I use black tape to cover the threads on the nipple end so it doesnt bite into the bushing. Use a paint marker to mark the outside of the bushing where the oil hole is and mark the block or you wont be able to align them cause you wont be able to see them and the oil hole MUST be aligned with block. The larger bushing I used a washer that is exactly the same size as the bushing that has the id the same size as the 3/8 npt nipple HOWEVER keeping it straight can be difficult, go slow.

Hybrid booster

i could see the smaller bearing being a pain in the a$$ without a fancy tool, the outer one i could get away with. Anyone know where i can find this special tool?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I have always just used a nut and bolt and a few washers. Works as good as the special tool and costs less. Find one that is the exact same size as the inner bushing so it gets installed to the right depth.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I have always just used a nut and bolt and a few washers. Works as good as the special tool and costs less. Find one that is the exact same size as the inner bushing so it gets installed to the right depth.
    I'm having a hard time picturing this in my head, ive never actually seen the special tool. Are you squeezing the bushings in place by having washers on each side of the opening and tightening the nut/bolt?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

If so does that work with the inner bushing? not sure how much room is in there, havent really looked into it yet.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowv4l View Post
    I'm having a hard time picturing this in my head, ive never actually seen the special tool. Are you squeezing the bushings in place by having washers on each side of the opening and tightening the nut/bolt?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

If so does that work with the inner bushing? not sure how much room is in there, havent really looked into it yet.
    Yes. I have never seen the tool either. Just make damn sure it is lined up with the oil holes before going too far. I have done this with 3 engines and never damaged any of the bearings/bushings.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

We did have a step by step article in the KC but I guess Frank is doing work on it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

If you have a friend with access to a lathe, that would be your best bet.

You take some material... aluminum will work good, and turn the OD down something like .005 to .010" smaller than the bore in the block. (or .010 -.015" smaller than the OD of the bearing going in) Then turn a step or shoulder as you are thinking that is about .010 smaller than the ID of the bushing. You need to to make the tool's diameters smaller because if you make it just .002" when the bushing is driven in, the press fit will mean the tool is swedged in there as well, and can ruin the bearing. I've had to make special cam bearing drivers for Cat and other big diesel motors.... Also, then you drill something like a 1/2" hole in the center, and make a rod that is the driver tool that bolts to the driver you made that the bearing slips onto.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Dude I just told you how to install the inner small bearing, in fact its dam near as good as the tool...

turbo addict

Monday I can get some pictures of the tool I made. All with parts from tractor supply. One was a 1.5in to 3/4 PVC reducer and the other was a 3/4in bronze bushing. a 5/8in all thread and some washers. Hard to explain but it works perfect to install the bushings, to remove them you just use a socket or a chisel and a hammer.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Dude I just told you how to install the inner small bearing, in fact its dam near as good as the tool...

Well okay, actually you now have many ways to install that bearing...

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the help guys! i was worried about messing up the edge of the bearings but it looks like i should be ok using one of these methods, Ill make sure to mark the block with the holes in the bearings before I do anything.

Garrett booster

if anyone has pics to go with these instructions i could visualize this...i have to do this very soon. If not i will still be able to use the instructions and hats off to all of you for your advice

Hybrid booster

I was able to use the squeeze in method using a pair of aluminum seal installer rings i had laying around, worked great!