Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Coil, Newer Style

Ignition Coil, Newer Style

I have one of the coils off the, I believe, 91 and up cars that is mounted by the themostat. Question is, is this coil generic across all cars or is there a turbo specific one? I bought one at the store the other day and I'm 99% sure it didn't work out of the box, so is there one for turbo and one not for a turbo car? Also, is there a brand preferred over another? Should I just get one at the dealer? Anyone got a part number?

This is the type I have on the car now.

[SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Re: Ignition Coil, Newer Style

That's an "E" type coil. there's nothing special about them turbo vs non-turbo vs 3.0 v-6. even Ford uses the same type coil on everything from a 2.3 turbo SVO mustang to a 460 EFI in a motorhome to a 3.8 v-6 in a Granada. (same part number and all)

Why are you replacing? these rarely ever have problems? The fact you bought a new one and it doesn't work makes me suspect you have problems elsewhere???? All coils use the same principle operation methods. primary circuit and secondary circuit.

Oh and if your going to a parts store and they minimum wage counter jockey asks you "year, make model, engine" I'd think their nifty computer would come up with a part number for that exact application

Cool. Any brand I should go with? I bought one from AZ about 6 months ago and I'm pretty sure it didn't work when I installed it. I put it away and didn't use it, since I diagnosed that wasn't the problem anyways, but I'd prefer not to spend $30'ish on a bad brand. Does anyone know if the dealer stocks this or is there a better alternative?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I personally believe a use OEM one is better than any "new" one since pretty much all the parts store replacements are made in China.

I may check the dealer to see if they have a new one in stock. The ones I had were from the yard and one for sure was an issue, although it will work. I thought I had three of these at the house, but I can only find 2.

Garrett booster

MSD makes an excellent blaster coil replacement, part number 8228.

really seems odd that you're having so many problems with so many coils. I've yet to have one of these coils go bad both on the road and in my race car turning 8000+ every week. One car I build in 1994 is still running the same coil you have for 17 years now.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 91DSX View Post
    MSD makes an excellent blaster coil replacement, part number 8228.
    This is incorrect. MSD's version of this coil is simply a Chinese made replacement coil in red. It is inferior to the OE coil in my experience. Traced a high boost miss back to this coil. When replaced with an OE coil i pulled from a salvage yard, the high boost miss went away. Do not buy this POS coil. In fact, don't buy any MSD direct fit coils. They're crap.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Both the ones I use are from the parts yard, the one from AZ like I mentioned, pretty sure the car wouldn't start with that one right out of the box. I'm in some agreement that so many coils going bad is weird. The first one from the yard worked fine when I put it on, the other from the yard has a very bad miss and it IS the coil, as I swapped the two out and tell the difference. And I've had intermittent spark failure with the one I'm sure just bit the dust, but without a known GOOD coil, I have yet to test if that is the main problem or not. Which is why I wanted to know who made a good coil that I could trust to be reliable. Going to get another from the yard is an option, but no guarantee it's good or won't have similar symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    really seems odd that you're having so many problems with so many coils. I've yet to have one of these coils go bad both on the road and in my race car turning 8000+ every week. One car I build in 1994 is still running the same coil you have for 17 years now.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    This is incorrect. MSD's version of this coil is simply a Chinese made replacement coil in red. It is inferior to the OE coil in my experience. Traced a high boost miss back to this coil. When replaced with an OE coil i pulled from a salvage yard, the high boost miss went away. Do not buy this POS coil. In fact, don't buy any MSD direct fit coils. They're crap.
    So the dealer it is? Anyone got a good part number for a 90-96 coil, or whatever years they came?

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    So the dealer it is? Anyone got a good part number for a 90-96 coil, or whatever years they came?
    Try part number 4176009 if you are gonna get one from a dealer.

I'd get one from a salvage yard tho. These things rarely fail.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Try part number 4176009 if you are gonna get one from a dealer.

I'd get one from a salvage yard tho. These things rarely fail.
    Thanks for jinxing me Mike. I had two from the yard. One didn't work properly from the get go, the other seems to have failed me for the last time................admiral! I couldn't resist.

If your going to the dealer, I'd think they would have the part number. IDK why you'd need the part number since there are guys/gals working at the dealer parts counter that would use some method to look up the part number

contraption: I'm in total agreement with you. MSD is over rated over priced crap. I fell into the MSD hype when I first started racing. Their junk cost me several races. (6AL boxes fry, Blaster coils explode, short or open all kinds of crap)

The stock OEM ignition systems hold up just fine for me 8000+ rpm all day for over 20 years and never had a failure.

If your going to the dealer, I'd think they would have the part number. IDK why you'd need the part number since there are guys/gals working at the dealer parts counter that would use some method to look up the part number

contraption: I'm in total agreement with you. MSD is over rated over priced crap. I fell into the MSD hype when I first started racing. Their junk cost me several races. (6AL boxes fry, Blaster coils explode, short or open all kinds of crap)

The stock OEM ignition systems hold up just fine for me 8000+ rpm all day for over 20 years and never had a failure.
    Because I live about 30 minutes one way and I'd rather call and ask to see if they have a part number than try to explain what I'm looking for when I don't know what year the coils were available. Calling and trying to explain I need a coil for a car that I don't know the specifics always ends up in mis-communication, either from my end or theirs. I'll see if that part number is good.

Thanks for jinxing me Mike. I had two from the yard. One didn't work properly from the get go, the other seems to have failed me for the last time................admiral! I couldn't resist.
    Hmmm, if you have had two fail already, than I would really be concerned that something else might be causing these failures.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Trust me, I'm with you. I'm not 100% sure it's the coil, but given that the car wouldn't start the other day with the one, then swapping it it did start, I don't know what to think.

Trust me, I'm with you. I'm not 100% sure it's the coil, but given that the car wouldn't start the other day with the one, then swapping it it did start, I don't know what to think.
    A loose pin in the connector?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

A loose pin in the connector?
    Could be. I know of one electrical issue I have that is somewhat related. It may be causing the coil to fail given that this issue seems to feed power to the car and has in past become suddenly lost and then back again. It's the issue in a thread I have posted from about a year ago. Could be an issue of my own making. However, this coil is dead, as I just tried it again and it still does not work, while the other does. Going to try and correct the problem with the wiring and get another coil. Hopefully it will be corrected by tonight.

Hmmm, if you have had two fail already, than I would really be concerned that something else might be causing these failures.
    which is exactly what I said a couple times.

I'll bet there isn't a dealer anywhere that will has one in stock.

I've got piles of good used ones $30I'll send you a handful with shipping. all will be off running vehicles and known good.

which is exactly what I said a couple times.

I'll bet there isn't a dealer anywhere that will has one in stock.

I've got piles of good used ones $30I'll send you a handful with shipping. all will be off running vehicles and known good.
    I never doubted your assessment. If you have some good ones, I'll take 3 for $30 (shipping or +shipping?). Like I said, my issue is I don't have a good point of reference for a known good one, which was my reason for wanting a new one. But if you have good ones, I'll take a few for spares. PM me your Paypal and the total and I'll send you some money today.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Do you have it wired correctly, if you have the wiring backwards, that will cause the failures.

22mopar, the reason some of us want part numbers is simple, the dealer parts guys are usually extremely lazy and won't look up anything odd ball or old. Give it a rest.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast