Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How high boost on pump gas?

turbo addict

Re: How high boost on pump gas?

I've never tried it but the cam2 pump isint isolated and is mixed right in with the other pumps. It has a long hose too.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I've never tried it but the cam2 pump isint isolated and is mixed right in with the other pumps. It has a long hose too.
    Most gas stations like that which I've seen have a nozzle which won't fit a standard tank inlet.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

That's the old Leaded/No-Lead, "go, no-go" gauge. Been a while since I even thought about that still being a difference..

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

ill have to check next time I'm there. you'd think I would remember, I've used it a few times in my quad.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

There's a station near me that has 100 oct unleaded gas at a pump
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I can edit the thread title to "Max Boost on Premium E10" if it would put the discussion back on track. Let me know.
    No. Even though gas means gasoline, its fun to pretend 85% ethanol is also gas. Its like racism. A little of something else means that is all you are. Way more thread traffic when the offtopic freely flows!
    The usefulness of the forum is severely depreciated but a lot of forums are failing to keep up with Facebook, therefore lets act like a status feed rather than a tech forum in order to save the site
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

its fun to pretend 85% ethanol is also gas
    its still 15% "gasoline" and I do run it DAILY in my vehicles, not just at the track, not just on the weekends, and I drive 15 miles to and from work mon-fri. whether you want to believe it or not, this "fuel" will be more readily available in the near future, because this will be a future energy source. so I guess il just keep running my racist fuel as a "pump" gas...

plus this thread is pretty open ended anyways? to many variables, octane rating being one of them, maybe it could read how much boost on 87? 91? 93? 93 oct isn't even available as a pump gas around me, so should I not consider that a pump gas?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    its still 15% "gasoline" and I do run it DAILY in my vehicles, not just at the track, not just on the weekends, and I drive 15 miles to and from work mon-fri. whether you want to believe it or not, this "fuel" will be more readily available in the near future, because this will be a future energy source. so I guess il just keep running my racist fuel as a "pump" gas...

plus this thread is pretty open ended anyways? to many variables, octane rating being one of them, maybe it could read how much boost on 87? 91? 93? 93 oct isn't even available as a pump gas around me, so should I not consider that a pump gas?
    You are beating around the bush like this is politics.

We all know what "high boost" and "pump gas" means. You know what it means. It means: Gasoline, it means "premium" gasoline. It means a place to talk about tricks to get the most boost from the 91,92, 93, 94 octane fuel that is available at your house. I have made big power on 91 octane, I also lived 1 block away from an E85 station for years. I wrote a research paper on ethanol because I can realize ethanol fuel is ethically complicated. The only part of me that supports ethanol fuel is the greedy go fast for cheap side. That might be where the K car in me also resides.

Having it so close would make you not understand how impossible it is to run E85 for most people. The best chance most people have would be to have it delivered to their house, which I do not feel is a reasonable decision just to save a few bucks vs race gas. I don't think that delivery option is even possible for most people. I know more people who have ethanol delivered to their house than people in this thread who are hoping to hear more about E85 after reading the title.

BTW, to your point that ethanol fuel will be more available... based on my research 6 or so years ago when I wrote that paper, the issue was government mandated 15% ethanol and demands of increased ethanol production. Limiting factor for those demands was the % of the world's corn crops going into fuel. The ethanol is going to go into normal fuel, not E85. It makes no sense to create a totally separate fuel when the government and corn lobby can just force 15% down everyone's throat. Do you know why they couldn't mandate 15% when I did the research paper? The world corn supply would have been 100% used to produce ethanol fuel. DOH. There are other sources of ethanol but corn lobby has made things extra shady. There is not enough corn to meet both demands and the government's desire is 15% ethanol. E85 technically makes the governments goal more difficult. In the last 6 years in two states in high population areas, I have only seen for profit E85 pumps disappear, never one appear. The only ones showing up have been government/military pumps that are not accessible to most people.

I think pump gas tuning is the biggest challenge and satisfying for anyone finding great success. Seen some crazy numbers from pump gas cars with only 2 liters. Tricky boost and timing maps that optimize every bit of available detonation resistance.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yes, calling e85 pump gas is playing semantics instead of posting good info that other people can refer to.

I also agree with Brent that e85 is basically a terrible thing that jacks up food prices for people who can least afford it in other parts of the world and does not significantly address environmental concerns, and is not a sustainable approach. It's a stupid fuel that was lobbied into existence by special interest groups and corrupt politicians trying to coopt the moral credibility of environmentalists to appear as if they are doing good when really they are just funneling money to favored groups for personal gain.

The ONLY good thing about e85 is its usefulness for car enthusiasts who can get it and have the means to use it. Truly a first world concern when so many people in the world are less worried about optimizing their timing curve then they are about having shoes or being able to get their hands on 2000 calories per family member per day without going bankrupt.

And at the end of this post i can say i am not any more off topic with my political guilt trips than people who keep posting e85 crap in a pump gas thread.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

^WHEN ITS MADE OUT OF CORN! because of the "cost" to produce it from it, 50% of the corn is still used to produce animal feed after the sugars are removed from it. why don't we stop making sugary drinks and start making alcohol out of it instead?

so, then whats the answer to the op question... there isn't a definitive one...

sorry for all the thread messiness but I still believe e85 is a viable pump fuel and will be for a while, especially if I can make it myself...

and maybe if people didn't produce so many family members to feed and kept children #'s per family to a minimum we may move forward as a civilization...
    Last edited by OmniLuvr; 10-10-2014 at 06:42 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I currently run 20 lbs and 93 octane with no indication of knock. 2.2 with a GN compressor wheel and stage II turbine. The manifold is a ported 2 piece lower with a box upper.
    What is your base timing and what calibration?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    ^WHEN ITS MADE OUT OF CORN! because of the "cost" to produce it from it, 50% of the corn is still used to produce animal feed after the sugars are removed from it. why don't we stop making sugary drinks and start making alcohol out of it instead?

so, then whats the answer to the op question... there isn't a definitive one...

sorry for all the thread messiness but I still believe e85 is a viable pump fuel and will be for a while, especially if I can make it myself...

and maybe if people didn't produce so many family members to feed and kept children #'s per family to a minimum we may move forward as a civilization...
    If 15% ethanol fuel JUST for the United States means consuming 100% of the worlds corn crop then you are talking zero children per family. BTW, our economy will fail without a renewed population. gg fake environmentalists. China is currently in big trouble with their young all male population.

turbo addict

again, e85 doesnt need to be made of corn, corn is one of the least efficient ways to make it actually. 85% of corn isnt used to make people food, its used for feed, if the sugars and starches are stripped for ethanol production it still makes good feed because it leaves the proteins and fats. ethanol production has made leaps and bounds in advancements in efficiency and items used as sources.

brazil has been using mandated 25% minimum ethanol "fuels" for 40 years, have over 2 million flex fuel vehicles and majority run on e99.

if you design an engine to properly run on e85-e99 then you actually dont lose mileage and still make more power!

they are developing algae now that produces 4 times as much ethanol than corn does per square acre without having to process the algae, IT JUST CRAPS IT OUT! they are almost done working on commercial size farms.

sugar cane takes 4 times less energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than it does gasoline!

they are making cellulose ethanol that isnt even made from sugar, there is an enzyme that breaks down the cellular walls of woods, grasses, hemp, etc that unlocks the starches to make ethanol.

if we as a society werent so wastefull, there would be plenty of other sources to create ethanol from discarded food.

and when i said population control, i mean households with 5-? children per pair of parents, thats too many children in my opinion... especially when they cannot afford to support them!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

85% of corn isnt used to make people food, its used for feed
    That is an extremely ironic statement. People dont raise livestock to keep themselves company.

I am all for making ethanol in less retarded ways, but it will require the defeat of corrupt politicians and a new incentive system. I am not against making best use of the shitty situation that currently exists, but as far as people's opinions towards policy, everyone needs to hate our current ethanol regs.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

^that was a pretty awesome way to take that out of context,

ok, so 85% of corn is used for "animal" feed, that is used to make food for people, BUT using the corn for ethanol production, doesnt reduce the feed? its just using it more productively?

I am all for making ethanol in less retarded ways, but it will require the defeat of corrupt politicians and a new incentive system. I am not against making best use of the shitty situation that currently exists, but as far as people's opinions towards policy, everyone needs to hate our current ethanol regs.
    now this is a much better statement! but people have to be educated on ethanol use before things can be changed, 95% of people dont even know what e85 is. ive had to talk to and explain what e85 is and how to use it properly to almost a 100% of the gas pump attendants at the e85 locations. the problem is that its just so easy to go to the pump and put regular gas in and drive away, and let the majority of our money be burned up while we ship it over sea's, thats why other countrys have started to produce ethanol.

either way our money is going into the wrong pockets, but im a little more in favor of using a fuel that i can make myself (even tho the techniques ive used arent the most efficeint, still working on making a little "dryer" ethanol) and at least keep a little more of our money on "our" soil. we are still going to need to rely on fossil fuels for a long time, so id like to see ways of making this unrenewable source last a little longer...

and again, im sorry for the thread jacking, but if its going to take this for more people to understand and research ethanol as a new fuel and possible pump gas (which i am currently doing for a # of reasons) than so be it! for you guys to think its JUST a cheap racing fuel (which it is!) is also just as ignorant...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678