Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil restrictor in turbo feed line needed?

Hybrid booster

oil restrictor in turbo feed line needed?

I just ordered a new 46 trim hybrid from FWDPerformance and their braided oil/coolant lines. I have heard about oil restrictors in the turbo lines and that excessive oil pressure can kill the turbo. When cold, my oil pressure at idle is right around 70psi but once warmed up is around 10psi at idle and raises about 10psi per 1000rpm. Should I be concerned about this being that the oil pressure gauge is reading from the same "splitter" in the front of the block that the turbo line comes off of? My gauge is tapped into the front of this "splitter.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: oil restrictor in turbo feed line needed?

The vendor who would be responsible for honoring your warranty should be the one to answer this question....

BUT, that being said, I wouldn't. 70PSI isn't that high and the only way you'll really be able to hurt a turbo with too much oil would be if the drain back was too small or plugged up with carbon, etc. Even then the only danger is that the center section would completely fill up with oil and pressurize the oil seals, pushing oil into their respective intake/exhaust streams.

BUT, put a restrictor in and you may not have sufficient oil flow at idle, etc. Turbos actually would like to have a particular gallons per hour/minute, the pressure isn't as big a deal as you might think, though you will need a certain amount of it to push the required gph/m of oil... So oil pressure is kind of a second-hand way of ensuring the proper/minimum flow rate.

Hope this helps!

Mike

PS You probably heard about the oil restrictors in regards to a dual ball-bearing turbo, they require less gph/m and so sometimes will run a restrictor.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

yea this restrictor stuff i been seeing lately is kind of annoying, cus if your going to go that route yet put -4, -6, etc, sized lines with the restrictor, then why bother and just go -2 all the way and not bother spending money on the other -# sizes for the oil feed , and then ditch the restrictor. or you could simply stick with -4 all the way and be just fine!!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    The vendor who would be responsible for honoring your warranty should be the one to answer this question....

PS You probably heard about the oil restrictors in regards to a dual ball-bearing turbo, they require less gph/m and so sometimes will run a restrictor.
    I agree with both of these statements

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I'm good since I don't want to nuke my new turbo.

turbo addict

If this is a new Turbonetics turbo it will come with a restrictor/filter. Taking that off will void your 1 year no questions warranty I do believe. After warranty is up, I remove the restrictor/filter and run a in-line filter using #4 line.
    Todd

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    If this is a new Turbonetics turbo it will come with a restrictor/filter. Taking that off will void your 1 year no questions warranty I do believe. After warranty is up, I remove the restrictor/filter and run a in-line filter using #4 line.
    Todd
    You call that a restrictor? I call it a shitty filter, lol.

Some say too much oil pressure will cause it too smoke but I've run 70 psi on journal bearings for years as have others with no problems. If you install a restrictor, most likely you'll blow it up,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I don't like the idea of anything that can clog up in my oil feed line
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Is the Turbonetics a filter or restrictor? I am guessing a filter, which shouldn't restrict too much? The restrictor recomended for use with GT-R DBB Garretts is not a filter, its just a smaller hole.

For a journal bearing turbo, lotsa oil is good to have and proper drainage is the key to making sure it doesnt smoke.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Is the Turbonetics a filter or restrictor? I am guessing a filter, which shouldn't restrict too much? The restrictor recomended for use with GT-R DBB Garretts is not a filter, its just a smaller hole.

For a journal bearing turbo, lotsa oil is good to have and proper drainage is the key to making sure it doesnt smoke.
    I had one and to me, its a very cheap mesh filter, so it does act as a restrictor and also a filter, which I found plugs up easily, found that out before my turbo went boom,

Yeah, my DBB has a tiny hole, doesn't need much oil.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

running -4 and using a restrictor? exactly my point as being useless lol.

You call that a restrictor? I call it a shitty filter, lol.

Some say too much oil pressure will cause it too smoke but I've run 70 psi on journal bearings for years as have others with no problems. If you install a restrictor, most likely you'll blow it up,

Simon i couldnt agree more with that

And thinking about this... wouldnt it be safe to say that a turbo is only going to take what can be fit in its space for oiling. Even at 70 psi thats not enough force to squeeze it past the seals any more than it is at 40. If it was then a restrictor wouldnt do anything anyway, and a filter would get annihilated. The return as one person stated IS important area for concern though we all know that and cant argue that of course.

turbo addict

cut open a normal garret or turbonetics turbo and you will see the restrictor is built in. The ebay turbos need one because the internal design is crap. DBB turbos need it just because of their design.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Here's a photo of the Turbonetics brass inline oil filter. It's included with every Turbonetics turbocharger to prevent FOD damage during the 1 year warranty period. If not removed after the warranty expires it can easily become plugged and actually cause a turbo failure.

The other filter (silver) was the in line version we initially offered. We have since moved to a higher capacity -4AN/-4AN red in line filter. The newer larger cartridge incorporates additional pleats to maximize the filtering area. This allows for extended service intervals. Replacement cartridges are available on our website.

Oil restrictors for standard journal bearing turbochargers are highly discouraged. Dual Ball Bearing turbochargers do benefit from a reduced flow of oil since it is only there to reduce friction and provide limited cooling, not separate bearings from turbine shafts and bearing housings. Most newer DBB turbos are restricted internally. The older models did not have internal oil feed restrictions so oil was limited via external fittings.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil Filter top.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	32301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TU and Turbonetics Filter Comparison.jpg 
Views:	693 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	32302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TU 60-Micron Filter.jpg 
Views:	1199 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	32300  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Todd
    lol, those stupid things do more harm then good!!!!

Thanks for the pic Chris, perfect shot of what it is and damn straight they should be removed after the warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    cut open a normal garret or turbonetics turbo and you will see the restrictor is built in. The ebay turbos need one because the internal design is crap.
    Never seen that, hmmmmmmm.

turbo addict

[QUOTE=turbovanman;825844]Thanks for the pic Chris, perfect shot of what it is and damn straight they should be removed after the warranty period.

Never seen that, hmmmmmmm.[/QUOTE

not that its technically built in, just that the hole in the casting is small enough not to flood the casing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHRA-500x500.jpg 
Views:	2162 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	32311

see how small the passages are to the bearings, on the ebay ones(cant find a pic) they are like 1/4 in passages and it pumps oil like crazy.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    not that its technically built in, just that the hole in the casting is small enough not to flood the casing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHRA-500x500.jpg 
Views:	2162 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	32311

see how small the passages are to the bearings, on the ebay ones(cant find a pic) they are like 1/4 in passages and it pumps oil like crazy.
    That's a Ball bearing turbo your showing, on a journal turbo, so far, I've never seen a restricted passage.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Here's a photo of the Turbonetics brass inline oil filter. It's included with every Turbonetics turbocharger to prevent FOD damage during the 1 year warranty period. If not removed after the warranty expires it can easily become plugged and actually cause a turbo failure.

The other filter (silver) was the in line version we initially offered. We have since moved to a higher capacity -4AN/-4AN red in line filter. The newer larger cartridge incorporates additional pleats to maximize the filtering area. This allows for extended service intervals. Replacement cartridges are available on our website.

Oil restrictors for standard journal bearing turbochargers are highly discouraged. Dual Ball Bearing turbochargers do benefit from a reduced flow of oil since it is only there to reduce friction and provide limited cooling, not separate bearings from turbine shafts and bearing housings. Most newer DBB turbos are restricted internally. The older models did not have internal oil feed restrictions so oil was limited via external fittings.

Chris-TU
    Chris,

I purchased a used (but recent) T3 S60 sand the brass filter had been removed. Is there a special fitting to replace this? It doesn't look like 1/8 NPT I'm used to seeing in there.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Turbonetics sells the replacement filters for $20 or so. You could also check out McMaster Carr for adapter fittings. Keep in mind the added oil supply line height may conflict with the wastegate actuator function.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

well all turbo's are restricted lol, they take whatever oil can get into their tight clearances haha Not sure what psi would forcibly squeeze excessive oil into the area the shaft rides but its safe to say its not going to be any oil pressure we see on these engines lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast