Thread: Need stereo advise!

Hybrid booster

Need stereo advise!

Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading my stereo pretty soon here. I've been looking for an amp, a friend already gave me a 12" Premier sub. I was looking on amazon and I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about this stuff. I know for my sub I only need a 500-600 watt RMS amp, but I found this deal on amazon. I need to know if this is a good quality amp or not.
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik...9803021&sr=1-4

Thanks guys!
    Zach.

Hybrid booster

Re: Need stereo advise!

I'm also considering this Alpine head. Looks like it's good enough for my needs, what do you guys think?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDA105-...9805516&sr=1-1

Garrett booster

whats the max and rms power of the sub? a 1500w monoblock is a pretty big amp. make sure your sub can handle it.

Hybrid booster

The sub calls for at least 500 rms. I had it checked out at a car stereo shop. And that's what this amp says it has for rms so I figure it should work out. I don't go around blasting rap music just looking for better sound quality. I don't think it'll blow my sub out, but I am new to this so who knows lol.

Garrett booster

if it were me i would drop to like a 1000w if its a 500w rms its peaks most likely 1000w or 12000w at best. dont want to go to big on the amp and smoke the sub. ive had a few of them power acoustiks and theyre a good amp for the money. i used to be into systems when i was in high school and had many of them

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

You're running stock surrounds with a new head and a new sub? Any plans to replace the stock speakers and amp new surrounds down the road? You're going to drown out the speakers in your car with a 12, I know because I did it in my Sundance. You'll have better results running components up front and coaxials in the back. Run a seperate amp for those, and when you turn it up you get CLEAN sound. Not the ricer sh*t you hear from a car that only has a sub in it. Besides, you said you're all about SQ, right? SPL is for teenagers.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Garrett booster

yeah dont do it with the stock speakers. i threw some nice pioneers in the door and jl 5x7s in the back BEFORE i threw in a subwoofer. i ran a nice 100wx4 rms full range amp for the speakers and almost didnt even need a subwoofer it sounded great as is

ANY aftermarkets are better than the paper surrounds you get with stock delco speakers. BTW, what car is this going in? I was running an Alpine 7998 with 2 sets of Type R's (front and rear) and anything you played was like a symphony. I am rather partial to Alpine though, they make great equipment.

Hybrid booster

I will be upgrading the speakers as well. I can only justify buying this stuff for now lol. Until then I know not to crank my sub and defile the balance. And it's going in a Lancer Shelby

You should make a project log entry for it. We love photographs of any work people are doing. I may have some of the Memphis gear I had in my Sundance...

Hybrid booster

Aww man I just got done installing it all today. I would have taken pictures of the whole thing had I thought of it. Turned out pretty nice too, only thing I'm not crazy about is I had to locate the amp under my passenger seat. See I'm a percussionist so I can't have an amp screwed to the back of my seat or anything when I may be moving my drum set at any time lol. Sounds good though, the sub has a softer sound to it but I like it. Like I said earlier I'm not going for "audible from 4 blocks away" loud and punchy. Just good quality bass. I didn't know anything about amps and subs before this and it was a really fun project for me, learned a lot and it's always rewarding when you do something yourself.

boostaholic

crutchfield.com and read.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    crutchfield.com and read.
    ??? what is the point of this reply? lol

boostaholic

Oh, they have a great selection and ALOT of info on there. It may help.

I never put amps or crossovers under the seat because of condensation. I had to screw a piece of wood (carpeted of course) to the back panel of the trunk, that basically covers access to the taillights. Came out easy enough. But I was advised by several people not to put things under the seats. I have mounted amps to the ceiling before, thats not too difficult either. Helps to be redoing your headliner though.

www.onlinecarstereo.com

Another link for cheap prices for new gear, that's where I get all my Alpine equipment.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    you said you're all about SQ, right? SPL is for teenagers.
    please please please, get something reasonable, dont be a SPL monster with 25000000 watts of POWA. the whole point of a sub-woofer is to fill the low bass tones that the component speakers cant reach.

Upgrade your surround speakers and get a headunit, you will notice much more of a difference than just a sub/amp combo...

Dont get me wrong i like my woofers loud, (2x 15's rockfords with 1000w amp), but i can crank it and NOT just hear bass, but hear ear piercing highs and actually hear the lyrics that accompanies a large boom from the low end