Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L Body 1/4 Mile Times with Stock Turbo, Injectors, and Intercooler

boostaholic

L Body 1/4 Mile Times with Stock Turbo, Injectors, and Intercooler

I'm looking for some 1/4 mile times of mostly stock L bodies, utilizing a T2 turbo, T2 intercooler, and T2 injectors. Everything else can be modified. I'm expecting to see a bunch of 13's, so let's see them! I don't care if they're 2 or 4 door, but I'll be comparing them against my 86 GLHS once I get it back together. Right now it's in pieces ready for paint.

Re: L Body 1/4 Mile Times with Stock Turbo, Injectors, and Intercooler

You could check the 1/4 mile times thread JT started. Just for the record, I've run 14.50 @ 97 mph with 15psi in my GLHS. The only change was an 89 CSX cal, but stock engine, injectors, IC and 2 1/4" exhaust with a catalytic on street tires.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

12.89 in my GLH, +20'S, 3" EXH,CAL,UDP,AFPR,CAL,ADJ CAM GEAR and with a built auto on street tires. Here is some info of it when it was in the 13"s http://www.tomak.net/ before i bought it and put a ton of goodies in to it.

Before paint.

after paint
    Last edited by speedfreek500; 07-03-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Tommy's GLHS clone would run 13.00 all day long and that car was stock with a exhaust cutout and just bled like a mofo. He was still using the 525 also
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'd have so say it will be somewhat slower than a 98 Viper

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Dunno about the injectors but Pat got one into the high 12s on stock motor and turbo iirc.

Injector size doesnt mean all that much.. if you want to know how fast a car can go on X injector, just do the math and assume something slightly lower than that. If someone is trapping 110mph on a stock t2 garrett, knowing their injector size doesnt tell me jack ---- about how they did it.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

14.01 @ 101 mph. Stock Engine / Turbo @ 14lbs boost on a GLHS Stage II Computer with Street Tires. Dyno'd to the wheels @ 191 hp / 223ft lbs.

boostaholic

These are the kinds of times I was expecting. My old Daytona needed some serious fuel to get it up to 101 mph. My Shelby Charger ran 12.68 @108, but it had a Talon intercooler and a couple cold start injectors. I'll be doing/have done a custom cal, lightly ported head, lightly ported exhaust manifold, and nice mandrel 2.5" exhaust. The car has a high capacity clutch and an a520/OBX trans. I'd like to make it a solid mid 13 second car on street tires.

My only problem now is deciding whether to try and hunt down some std bore T2 pistons, or continue running the LW rods and see if I can window the block.

turbo addict

I was running 8.2-8.3 consistantly on the stock turbo in my GLH. (converted to blow through). With the super 60 im now down in the 7.9 range.

i vote LW rods..

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    My only problem now is deciding whether to try and hunt down some std bore T2 pistons, or continue running the LW rods and see if I can window the block.
    My T2 Shadow runs LW rods.. 12.89 @ 104.5 ... probably could ET better but its hard to shift with crossed fingers! LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    My T2 Shadow runs LW rods.. 12.89 @ 104.5 ... probably could ET better but its hard to shift with crossed fingers! LOL
    You also had a million passes on a stock A520! When I put the 2.5L in my CSX, the A520 lasted exactly 1 day! Of course, that car was a torque monster...

I might just run the LW rods, as the car *should* hold together and the bottom end only has 30K miles on it. I'm just a little worried since one of the local guys threw a rod in his 87 CSX. With that said, I also bought a bone stock 89 Daytona Shelby with a thrown heavy rod. I guess it really makes no difference in the end.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

im pretty sure the old "220whp???" rod limit on the lightweight rods has been well surpassed into the 300whp range. look at shadow who has pushed a TII block into the 500whp range. and they were said not to withstand more then 300...

when you think about, alot of our tech info is "old school" data. we now have much better combinations of parts, and the ability to get alot better calibrations for our setups. which in turn helps reduce alot of the stress that people were having back in the day when they seemed to be wingin it!

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

do the lightweight rod cars come with mahle pistons on floating pin????
    trying to figure out some confusion here....same pistons at the TII 2.2 cars...right???

or is there a chryco designed piston that looks exactly like the mahle?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    You also had a million passes on a stock A520! When I put the 2.5L in my CSX, the A520 lasted exactly 1 day! Of course, that car was a torque monster...
    Yeah, a 2.2L is a little easier ont eh torque...

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    im pretty sure the old "220whp???" rod limit on the lightweight rods has been well surpassed into the 300whp range.
    The HP limit of components is also heavily dependant upon the weight of the car

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    do the lightweight rod cars come with mahle pistons on floating pin????
    trying to figure out some confusion here....same pistons at the TII 2.2 cars...right???

or is there a chryco designed piston that looks exactly like the mahle?
    Not sure if the pistons are the same or not, but the factory LW rods have pressed pins, not floaters like the TII rods.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Not sure if the pistons are the same or not, but the factory LW rods have pressed pins, not floaters like the TII rods.
    That was my understanding. No LW rod motor came with true T2 Mahle pistons, since all T2 motors used floating pins and heavy rods.

Hybrid booster

My brother has a T2 setup in his 87 Charger. Car weight is around 2250ibs currently. Besides the T2 stuff he rebuilt the motor with .20 oversize pistons, has a cone style air filter, ported exhaust manifold and an opened up 2 1/4 exhaust. He's running 17psi on a stock t2 turbo with the 87 GLHS ECU and 20% injectors...oh yeah and an A-555.

We don't have an official quarter mile time but basing it on the car's he's raced we'd expect at least low 13's if not high 12's. He can edge out the new 425hp Camaro's and just barely lost to one last week running 480hp.

Also, your asking for trouble running a LW rod in a 200hp+ car. Better just to bite the bullet and get some T2 ones put in...not to mention the stock A-525.

Also, just for the record the A-555 and T3/T2 clutch combo is super tough. He's been running those parts since 2k3 and they're going strong.

boostaholic

Already have the a525 covered, as I've replaced it with an A520 with an OBX LSD. I know the LW rods are a gamble, but it really bothers me that if I want new pistons I have to buy forged. I have 3 good T2 pistons, so I'm sure I can find some 87-90 T2 pistons around somewhere to make a complete set.

I used to run a T3/T2 clutch. It worked fine at lower boost levels, but it didn't last long above 20psi. It held fine with the boost below ~22psi for years though.

Also, your asking for trouble running a LW rod in a 200hp+ car.
    Why? Based on what?

T3/T2 clutch combo is super tough
    Holding a stockish 2.2 on 17 psi doesnt make it super tough. hehe. Im sure it's a great match for that engine at that boost but a stockish 2.2 doesnt really push the limits on torque. I dyno'd my 2.5 @17psi on a stock turbo at 320lb ft to the wheels. Most 2.2s on stock turbos and 17psi arent making 250 to the wheels. Not hating on the car/setup, just disagree with the 'super tough' thing unless you say 'in this particular context'.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Why? Based on what?

Holding a stockish 2.2 on 17 psi doesnt make it super tough. hehe. Im sure it's a great match for that engine at that boost but a stockish 2.2 doesnt really push the limits on torque. I dyno'd my 2.5 @17psi on a stock turbo at 320lb ft to the wheels. Most 2.2s on stock turbos and 17psi arent making 250 to the wheels. Not hating on the car/setup, just disagree with the 'super tough' thing unless you say 'in this particular context'.
    I thought most 2.5s will only make about 20-30lbs more torque than the equivalent 2.2? I haven't seen a lot of dyno graphs on the subject though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast